Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Metal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

How strictly will this be enforced? I've no id and wuldn't mind seeing them at all.

TBMC are quite strict, especially for metal gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Well they were grand for Dragonforce, and just gave wristbands to those with ID, so maybe they've started with that system?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ph3n0m wrote:
    "Bow to me splendidly" - how I laughed when B & B started mocking that
    LOL. That was absolutely hilarious alright. I think the only other video that even came close to that one was when Butthead started mocking Ministry's "NWO". Classic! :D

Did they ever play Obituary on B&B? I seem to remember "Don't Care" being played on it once, not sure though.

As for Celtic Frost Doc, yeah I've heard a fair bit of their stuff. I like it, it wouldn't be something I'd listen to alot but I do like it. Venom are pretty similar to them too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

http://www.beavis-butthead.ru/yellow_articles_episode.html - nope, this page lists all videos ever played and Obituary aint one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Getting back on topic...

Carcass! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I agree with KH...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Get Beneath The Massacre folks, if you like your death metal all technical like. Absolutely brutal and mind-blowing, it's a bit of a shock at first. Beats the massively overrated Necrophagist any day (even though they only have a single EP available).

I don't know where people are getting death metal as the genre Dimmu belong to though, they started as melodic black and worked up to symphonic extreme. But once you get into Emperor, Dimmu just don't seem to slice bread like they used to... :D

Also another fantastic band are Lykathea Aflame (now known as Lykathe, sadly with a rather massive line-up change and possibly lost genius). Pick up "Elvenefris" if you can, beautiful and yet crushing death metal, with a drummer who can give Flo Mournier a run for his money.

Yeah, Cynic and Atheist were great bands, what a pity they're no longer with us. Cynic were going in a very strange and over stylised direction with the Portal demo anyway, so maybe it was for the best. People also seem to overlook an amazing band from this era, Pavor. A Pale Debilitating Autumn is a fantastic album, as is the much later release Furioso, although both are quite different, They also feature one of the greatest bass players in metal, who did the incredible vocal work on Bethlehem's album "Dicitus Te Necare." death metal from this time frame was truly great, but certainly hard to find (thanks, Nirvana, for ****ing up an entire decade musically :mad: ), such as Infester and Incantation.

As for melodic death, try Intestine Baalism for an Eastern take on a rather stale Western style, it's surprisingly more lively and better executed than the vast majority of European bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

carcass good, autopsy better!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

eh,that is simply wrong.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

such as Infester and Incantation.
    Seen Incantation at a Nile gig in dublin, unbelievable band, they played far better than Nile imo.

As for European melodic death, At the Gates are very good, and In Flames have some unbelievable albums aswell (Whoracle, Jester Race, Lunar Strain, Subterranean), not to forget Dark Tranquility have some fairy good stuff aswell, The Gallery is nothing short of brilliant.

• Advertisement

Jesus yes, the Gallery is nothing short of a masterpeice! As is In Flames' The Jester Race. And who doesn't love a bit of At The Gates now and then? What a ****ing band.

Kharn wrote:
    Cryptopsy (haven't seen them, would dearly love to)

Linky linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

John2 wrote:
    I will sell my soul. I will sell my future kids. ****, I'll sell someone else's kids. I can't wait for this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Got Carcass's Symphonies of Sickness. Not yet sure whether I approve, the vocals are too silly.

The postman arrived today with a big box of CDs. Amongst them were the three Atheist reissues. Very nice :v:

John2 wrote:
    The postman arrived today with a big box of CDs. Amongst them were the three Atheist reissues. Very nice :v:

Awesome. Indepth reviews please.

I'll let you know when they're up on brainwashed.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

John2 wrote:
    :v:

I'm really sorry to go offtopic here but when did we get this emoticon? I'm so used to seeing it on the somethingawful forums...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Last week. There was a fairly surreal thread in Feedback where it popped up and the people demanded it :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I'm really sorry to go offtopic here but when did we get this emoticon? I'm so used to seeing it on the somethingawful forums...

Oh snap!

Undergod,
    Give it a few listens but make sure you listen to their Heartwork and Necrotism albums. Excellent stuff.

Karl Hungus,
    I love ATG, I keep hearing about a reunion but it may be better to stick with the memories. I almost saw them live once and I still regret not getting to that gig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BoobC

Behemoth are to date the best DM band I've seen live, back in January. Everything DM stands for was on display that night.
    Nile bored the absolute tits off me a few years back. Gorerotted blew them away.
    Best DM releases for me would be:
    Bloodbath - Breeding Death (Opeth & Katatonia members)
    Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
    Cryptopsy - None So Vile
    Macabre - Murder Metal
    Akercocke - Choronzon
    Amon Amarth - Once Sent from the Golden Halls (Viking style DM)
    Lykathea Aflame - Elvenfris (kudos to yer man who mentioned them before. Savage band)
    The Crown - Deathrace King (Perfect blend of Speed, Thrash and Death)

There's a few great Irish DM bands:
    Abaddon Incarnate www.abaddonincarnate.com
    Hexxed http://www.hexxed.co.uk
    For Ruin http://www.forruin.com
    Devilmakesthree http://www.devilmakesthree.net
    Condemned http://www.condemned-uk.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Jesus yes, the Gallery is nothing short of a masterpeice! As is In Flames' The Jester Race. And who doesn't love a bit of At The Gates now and then? What a ****ing band.

I'd also recommend ATG, class band right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

BoobC wrote:
    Bloodbath - Breeding Death (Opeth & Katatonia members)
    I can't believe this was the first time Bloodbath got mentioned in this thread. They're fantastic, and even though they have a different singer for it, the most recent album almost beats Ressurection Through Carnage at some points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭RPGGAMER

I got into it through training. powerlifting is my sport and there is naught else that brings you to the edge where great strength lies like dimmu borgir or a band of that kind. i tend to favour the scandinavian type metal. but sometimes venture to other areas. slayer are good too. exile thats a great song to squat to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I find hardcore punk is great to listen to while boxing... but that's not the point.

Yeah, some of the music in Carcass is pretty cool, but still no sure about the vocals. Swarming Vulgar Mass of Infected Virulency, I thin, is one of the good ones on the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Gorod. get Neurotripsticks. totally toe tappingly tasty:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

BoobC wrote:
    Nile bored the absolute tits off me a few years back. Gorerotted blew them away.
    Condemned http://www.condemned-uk.com
    Saw Condemned at the Nile gig in Dublin at the end of the summer, while I agree that Nile are fairly boring, I found nothing too impressive about condemned either, however, Incantation, now thats a band worth seeing, they also played at the Nile gig and simply urinated over both over bands from a great hieght imo.
    BoobC wrote:
    Had a chance to see them at Day of Darkness, alas I arrived a bit late (hard to predict a 6 hour long drive, expected 4 hours, got 6 :(), alas that festival was worth the trip 25 times over for Rotting Christ, Mourning Beloveth and Carnun Rising! (last 2 are irish, Doom and black metal respectively).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

You lads should check out some Necrophagia....

You lads should check out some Necrophagia....

No way! Necrophagist are far superior. :v:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

I agree. Necrophagist fo lyfe :v:

Advertisement