Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for venison roundsteak.

• 15-10-2005 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭

I have some venison round steak that needs to be used up soon to make some room in the freezer. I was looking for some suggestions as to what to do with it. I could just make up a stew or something but was wondering if anyone had something special or simply different to try with it?
    Thanks to all in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Marinade it in red wine and Garlic for 2 days, then fry it like steak.
    Serve it with a Madeira sauce or Jus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

As Blackjack said, except Port, not red wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Port would be better alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Ok, so the 2 day marinade will do the job of a long stew. Thanks for that guys, I might give it a try with some roasters and red sauerkraut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

...can I come to your house for dinner on that day?

• Advertisement

...can I come to your house for dinner on that day?

hehe, it does sound nice doesn't it.
    I dressed a duck this morning, got it on the market yesterday in temple bar.
    I may do some of the round steak with the duck in a game pie too, am a bit partial to game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Can I come as well?....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Here's one I prepared earlier ;)

http://www.dspsrv.com/cookbook/meat.html#_Venison_Drowned_in_Red_Wine_

As a variation on the above recipe (which is also good with beef or any other game), I've not cut up the meat and marinaded an entire joint....then whacked it on a BBQ. Yum.

To be honest, if its good-quality venison then the absolutely best way to cook it is to sear it off in a pan, then roast it like you would beef, until its done (ideally medium-rare).

If you can lay hold of 'em, a chestnut stuffing would be fantastic.
    Another option is to spice it (Saltpetre, allspice, cloves, cinammon...really wintery flavour). I can dig you up the recipe if you're interested. I'm pretty sure I've posted it on here before, but I think searching is still disabled...

Cheers,
    jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

On a sort of half-on-half-off topic note; I was in a small chocolate-box type village over the weekend, went to visit this renowned local butcher, he had a venison fillet sitting on a china plate in his window... with a bunch of herb and pork sausages.

Just put me right off.

If I ever open my restaurant I can invite you to the opening night ;)

Bonkey: The venison should be pretty good, it was shot a while back by a friends father. I may do a chestnut stuffing too as I can get them easily in Temple Bar on Saturdays and I like them with sprouts done in a processor with a small dash of cream and butter, then chopped bacon and chopped toasted chestnuts on top. I didn't like sprouts before I got this recipe :D
    I dont think I would be into spicing the venison as I am not a big fan of the wintery flavours.
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
    I may get the ingredients this weekend then start the marinade on wednesday or so and have it next weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement