Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Router to wifi router??

• 15-10-2005 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I have a normal router and a wireless router.

What i want to do is have my normal router in one room conected to the phone line, then a lan cable coming from it through a large wall to the wifi router.

Is this possible, for a wifi router to run off a lan cable from normal router.
    What would I have to set up? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I assume you mean you have a modem/router combo (i.e. it connects to the phone line)
    How "large" is the wall? Why not just connect the wireless AP / Router directly into the existing device (i.e. Using a short Ethernet cable - and no knocking through walls - unless,of course, you currently have a hole in the wall and want a better signal strength)?
    In short: Yes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lazareus

I have two routers both connect to phone lines, one is wireless.

I already have the ethernet cable through the wall. Im doing this so i can get a better signal.

So, ur saying my wireless router will wk off the ethernet coming from my normal roueter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Do you plan to connect anything else to the wired router i.e. the one connected to the phone line? If not, it would be much simpler to run a phone extension cable through the wall and plug it into the wireless router - forget about the wired router altogether. If you know what you're doing, you could even use the existing ethernet cable - just wire it with RJ11s instead of RJ45s.

In theory, there's nothing wrong with your original suggestion, but you will obviously have to connect to one of the wireless router's ethernet ports, which are normally used for PCs etc. How it will work out in practice will depend on the configuration options available on the wireless box - bear in mind that it was designed to distribute an incoming DSL net service to your wired/wireless clients, so the gui options may not accommodate what you want to do.

Advertisement