Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Rifle (10m) Recommendations/ Advice

Options
  • 15-10-2005 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I've done some sporting rifle tatget shooting & now would like to try 10m type air Rifle. So far I'm thinking of a compressed 'PCP' air rifle. Working on a limited budget of less than E600, I don't know if this will be possible.
    Have seen an AirArms/CZ S200T, all the basic components seemed to be there, accuracy, adjustable stock, match type sights, rail, but found it to be some what small & maybe too light :( .

What recomendations or advice would you give on selecting the 'best' gun to go for, & where to get it ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you're looking at 10m air rifle Joe, you're looking at not really wanting low-end equipment. For a start, forget the S200T. We have one in WTSC, use it for the really petite kids, and it's too light and small for even them and the trigger is rubbish. If you want to start off in 10m air rifle, you will need to get at least three things in terms of equipment - a glove, a jacket and a rifle. For the rifle, you want to get something that will give you a shot at holding the nine ring at least from the start. There are basicly five manufacturers you can choose from; Feinwerkbau, Walther, Anchutz, Steyr and Hammerli. If you're just starting on a limited budget, I'd recommend looking for a second-hand FWB 600 or 300 series rifle. The 300, if in good condition, will do you for the first two or three years; the 600 series will get you to world cups if you wanted, though most people going for that level would change over (note; change over, not change up) to a PCP rifle. They're not more accurate, just less work to charge and shoot. You'll also want a jacket and glove, as not only do they aid the position, but they act like the weightlifter's belt and help prevent back problems (you'll still need to shoot properly, of course :D ).
    For a decent condition 600 series, you shouldn't pay more than €300. I've seen a mint-condition one sold for £250 up north last year.
    I'm not sure where the best place to start looking would be though :(

Where were you thinking of shooting? There aren't too many clubs actively shooting 10m at the moment, unfortunately (everyone seems to think that if it doesn't kick hard enough to break a shoulderbone and isn't loud enough to deafen the shooter with one shot, it's not real shooting :D ); you're looking at the colleges, wilkinstown, and some up north, though it's fallen on hard times there as well. It is, however, one of the most mentally challenging of disciplines, and decidedly one that teaches you the degree of technical preperation that's needed for every shot, and addictive as hell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 joecoie

Sparks, Thanks for that. I'm a member of Fermoy Rifle Club & I have the jacket, glove & most of the ancillary equipment for 10m, as they are also used in sporting rifle 50m prone.
    I gather that the rifles you are recommending are spring with a lever to charge, with a single movement ? How much effort is required to pull the lever ?

With regard to buying a used match Air Rifle, what are the things to look out for to avoid a dud ?, what parts give trouble or have a limited life span ? Is there an age over which ware & tear make the rifle un reliable ? (Anschutz 1966 smallbore rifle I have use of still shoots better than me !)
    The problem looks like finding someone with a rifle to sell; I've had a look at some UK shooting mags but they only seem to cover hunting & Field Target air rifle :( . Are there any magazines which deal with 10m type shooting & equipment ?
    What about Irish clubs (North or South), do any have newsletters or websites which might list stuff for sale ? Also what about competitions would there be any that might be worth going to with a view to meeting someone with a rifle to sell ?

We don't currently have anyone doing air rifle at the club, so I could be on my own at the start at least. (The big thing in club at moment is Gallery Rifle & Pistol, both 0.22, so no broken shoulderbones for us thank you :) ).

A couple of other things; What about shooting 10m outdoors, what effect will a mild wind have on .177 pellet ? Are all the rifles you listed of a similar power (7j) or does this really matter ?

Sorry for all the questions, but a if you don't ask.....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

joecoie wrote:
    I gather that the rifles you are recommending are spring with a lever to charge, with a single movement ? How much effort is required to pull the lever ?
    Well, the Feinwerkbau 300s are, but the 600s are pneumatically charged - you have a sort of bicycle pump affair in the rifle that lets you build up a charge of air and a valve that releases it behind the pellet when the trigger is pulled.
    There's not much effort in charging the 600s, and even less for the 300s. Takes more oomph to crack walnuts in a nutcracker.
    With regard to buying a used match Air Rifle, what are the things to look out for to avoid a dud ?
    Well, best bet is to have a gunsmith give it a once-over. But look yourself for obvious damage first - knocks or cracks in the stock or broken bits of metal anywhere, or serious (as in, not just surface) rust, that kind of thing.
    , what parts give trouble or have a limited life span ?
    The seals. But they're replaceable.
    Is there an age over which ware & tear make the rifle un reliable ?
    To quote Indiana Jones, it's not the years, it's the milage :D
    If treated properly and serviced every so often, 300s and 600s should be as accurate today as when they were made. If dropkicked around for years, they won't. But to give an example, the 600s used in DURC have been used there for longer than I've been shooting and they're still good enough to be putting in 580s with...

(Anschutz 1966 smallbore rifle I have use of still shoots better than me !)
    Exactly!
    The problem looks like finding someone with a rifle to sell; I've had a look at some UK shooting mags but they only seem to cover hunting & Field Target air rifle :( . Are there any magazines which deal with 10m type shooting & equipment ?
    Not really, we tend to be smaller than the other parts of the community. You might ask your local dealer to have a ring round his contacts in the trade for a second-hand one, or you might check the ads in the Rifleman, the NSRA's magazine.
    What about Irish clubs (North or South), do any have newsletters or websites which might list stuff for sale ?
    Irish clubs, not really. You'd see notices on noticeboards in clubs more than anything else. We don't have a national clearing-house for such ads :(
    Also what about competitions would there be any that might be worth going to with a view to meeting someone with a rifle to sell ?
    I can't think of any where that would be a given, but I've PM'd you a contact in Fermoy to talk to about air rifle - he'll be going to a few competitions in the next few months, ask him to keep an eye out.
    We don't currently have anyone doing air rifle at the club, so I could be on my own at the start at least.
    No, you're not. You've at least one other in your club who shoots air rifle in Wilkinstown. Check your PMs.
    A couple of other things; What about shooting 10m outdoors, what effect will a mild wind have on .177 pellet ?
    Over 10m? A bit, but it wouldn't put you off the backstop. Not much use training that way, mind. If you could find even a 6 yard run indoors where you could put a pellet catcher on the wall, that'd be better.
    Are all the rifles you listed of a similar power (7j) or does this really matter ?
    They're all around 7.5 Joules, purely because of german licencing laws. The actual ISSF rules have no power limits set, so long as the air rifle is safe to operate on the range.
    Sorry for all the questions, but a if you don't ask.....
    Exactly, and there may be a dozen others out there that find the info of some use as well, so ask away...

Advertisement