Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horsey question

• 15-10-2005 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I'm just wondering, is it still common practice to break a horse in for driving as well as riding, or are they only broken for riding nowadays?
    I'm just curious is all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Li-Lo

Hey,
    Um...well usually whether they are used for working or riding, horses are broken in by a rider...and then the driving comes along shortly after! Does that answer your q...
    Lis~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

If you mean "driving" in the sense of horses pulling carriages, then yes, people still do that!!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Still done, they have a driven class at the RDS horse show.

www.carriagedrivingireland.com has some nice photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Do you mean "as well as" driving? Most horses are only broken for riding, unless the person is specifically breaking for driving. However, many horses when being broken to ride are "long reined", which is an introduction to driving, even though that's not the intention when doing it with a ridden horse.
    In short, it's not common practice to break a horse for both disciplines at the same time, but any horse can be taught to drive and any horse can be taught to ride regardless of which field they started off in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Capall86

Every horse i have broken in myself, and every one i have seen broken in properly ahs been long reined, it creates a more responsive and makes the move to drving alot more simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Thanks for the replies guys!
    I'd love to know more about how horses are broken in, has always been of interest to me. Must look for websites about it.

Advertisement