Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dual Boot Linux and Windows XP

• 15-10-2005 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

I'm running windows xp on a 200gb sata hard drive and plan on installing SUSE Linux 9.1 on another 10Gb IDE hard drive on the same pc. Could anyone suggest what I should do regarding booting up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

As far as I know, you can only have one hard disk for your OSes - this will be set as your master HD. You'll need to create partitions on this and have Linux on one, XP on another partition.

Something like Partition Magic should help you create a dual boot.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I said something wrong. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I said something wrong.
    Where do we begin?

You can put OSes on secondary hard disks, just not copies of Windows. Linux will happily go where you want it to though. Windows also demands to be on a primary partiton, not a logical one, where again, Linux will be happy just to have space at all.

Partition Magic will do to create partitions, as will the installer of any half decent Linux distro. Partition Magic will not, however, on its own be enough to provide a dual boot. It does come with an application called PQBoot, but that only recognises primary partitions, not logical ones. As such, its no good for Linux if you only have one disk, or place it on a logical partition.

Nearly all Linux distros will come with one of two boot managers, called LILO or Grub. These will allow you to boot to whatever you want, ia a simple menu that will show on screen before either OS starts. Again, the Linux installer should step you through this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Use Partition Magic to grab back the space you need from the Windows partition and put in the Linux CD and away you go. Once you have either of the boot managers installed it's a piece of cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

The Yast installer that comes with Suse should be well able to set up Linux on that 10 gb hard drive. The installer will automatically install Grub (as default) on the MBR of your first primary hard drive (I think) and that will enable you to choose whether you want to boot to windows or linux on each startup.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Plan B

Make a windows boot disk
    Format a floppy in windows copy boot.ini ntldr and ntdetect.com to it
    make suer you can boot into windows from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭themarcus

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll fool around with partition magic and see what i can do... cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You won't need partition magic if it's going on it's own drive. You'd only need partition magic if you wanted to resize the windows partition to make more room. Yast should take care of everything for you, partitioning the second drive, mounting the windows partitions if you want to, and setting it up to dual boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

You can put OSes on secondary hard disks, just not copies of Windows. Linux will happily go where you want it to though. Windows also demands to be on a primary partiton, not a logical one, where again, Linux will be happy just to have space at all.

This is incorrect. Regardless of the OS, (and unless you boot from CD or Floppy) there always need to be a boot loader program installed on the active partition of the primary hard drive. For Windows this is ntldr. This reads the boot.ini file to display the boot menu and can boot into Windows sitting an any addressable partition and hard drive; e.g. a machine with 3 installation of windows on partitions 1 and 2 (first hard disk) and partitition 2 (second hard disk)
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First installation"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second installation"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Third installation"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Not strictly correct. You can have copies of windows on 2nd, 3rd etc hard disks and yes they will boot.
    theexis wrote:
    This is incorrect. Regardless of the OS, (and unless you boot from CD or Floppy) there always need to be a boot loader program installed on the active partition of the primary hard drive.

Not strictly correct. The Master Boot Record has 4 table entries which contain the locations of bootable partitions. When a partition is considered active it just has its entry in the table flagged as bootable i.e. The MBR points to the Partition Boot Record of this flagged partition from which to boot the stored OS respectively.

As a note of interest perhaps, the MBR only knows how to boot from the 1st physical hard disk i.e. 80. 2nd hard disk is considered 81 etc.... When booting Oses from 2nd,3rd etc disks, the MBR (or boot loader stored there) changes the disk number to 80 to pass a specific piece of bios code restriction, then returning to the original disk number 81, 82 etc.

osmethod

Advertisement