Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone tried replacing iPod Battery?

Options
  • 15-10-2005 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Any of ye tried replacing your iPod batteries yet? Any suggestions as to where i can buy some?

This crowd seem pretty good but open to suggestions regarding stories on replacing it, where you got the replacement batteries and how difficult it is to install etc.

Thanks in advance.

PS - For those doubters who always seem to complain about the iPod battery, i have had my 3G 10GB iPod since signing up with Eircom Broadband in December 2003. Have used it constantly.. ask anyone that knows me.. always have it attached to me. But recently, it gets half way down the battery and shuts down with the empty battery icon on screen. But lasting almost 2 years for someone that used it every day for at least an hour to an hour and a half (minimum!!)... that's pretty good.

PPS - having a quick look down this forum... it seems it might be time to rename this the "iPod Forum"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This post has been deleted.
    Tried finding that out. Could only find a statement here which follows:
    Send your iPod to Apple and pay them to replace the battery Apple recently began a program whereby you can send them your iPod and, for $99 (plus shipping and sales tax if applicable), they will replace its battery. Besides being relatively expensive, this choice deprives you of your iPod while you’re waiting for Apple to return it. Also, Apple makes no guarantee that you’ll receive your original iPod back.
    That's $99 dollars! Seems a bit pricey to get a $29 battery replaced but Apple always after that almighty dollar (** cough cough **.. IPod Nano... and iPod Video announced less than a month after! :rolleyes:)

Anyways, i also remember last year hearing that they were setting up a European Centre (as they hadn't one set up at the time) to send back your iPods to get batteries replaced but didn't hear anymore about it.. but i'm presuming one is set up by now.

EDIT: Just found a more recent story (September 20, 2005) here:
    Apple has finally given UK iPod owners a break.

The company slashed the cost of replacing an iPod with a faulty battery for US customers in July, but in the UK and Europe the "Battery Replacement Scheme" appeared mired in confusion.

No one at Apple was able to clarify if the price for the scheme here remained at its original £79, leading many iPod users to feel ripped off.

The reduced US price is $59 plus shipping.

Macworld UK began a campaign on behalf of its readers, demanding Apple clarify its position.

Apple sources remained unable to confirm what Apple is charging UK iPod owners for the service for two months.

This morning that changed. Apple cut its prices this morning.

"The fee at an Apple retail store is £49. The suggested Apple List Price at an Apple Authorised Service Provider is £49 in the UK and €69 in Ireland", the company's website confirms. All prices include VAT.

An online scheme also exists. This scheme lets users post their iPods to Apple with the company then replacing their device with a refurbished model of the same type.

"The online program costs £69 plus £7.29 shipping, or €99, plus €12.10 shipping in Ireland. The total online program cost is £76.29 per unit in the UK and €111.10 in Ireland," Apple now reveals.

More information on the scheme is available online.
    Not bad value really and less chance of it getting f*cked up as it works perfectly.. does the Apple Store in Dublin do replacements? Convinced i saw an Apple Store somewhere in Dublin last time i was up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I got excellent service from these guys.

$55 for a higher capacity battery than the original including all required tools and instructions. Delivery was very quick too had a battery and hard disk for a 1st gen 5GB within 4 days !

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Zener does it look like the ipod's been opened thou? I'd be afriad i'd have dents all around the ipod if i tried this myself!! :D

ZENER wrote:
    I got excellent service from these guys.

$55 for a higher capacity battery than the original including all required tools and instructions. Delivery was very quick too had a battery and hard disk for a 1st gen 5GB within 4 days !

ZEN
    Cheers for the link, ZEN.

I'd probably prefer to get it done by a professional like in an Apple Store. Like i said, i'd be afraid of fecking it up!

Still, €62.50 for a improved battery and kit to replace it is tempting. You didn't get stung by customs or anything - did you?

Suprised this question regarding replacing the iPod battery hasn't been asked more often actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have changed 2 ipod batteries. I presume apple will put in the same crappy low capacity li-ion. My mate got the batteries on ebay, li-polymer like the irivers, they will last years, I have heard 10 years quoted for heavy use, also has 30% more capacity. It is pretty difficult to open the things, and a big fiddly to change, a bit worrying if you have never done anything like it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

tk123 wrote:
    Zener does it look like the ipod's been opened thou? I'd be afriad i'd have dents all around the ipod if i tried this myself!! :D

Not at all, the kit comes with 2 PLASTIC flat blades that seperate the front and back of the iPod. Once apart the battery is unplugged from it's polarised 2 pin connector and replaced with the new one again with an identical polarised connector the back snaps back onto the iPod and you'd never know anyone had it open - piece of cake !! All instructions are included.

No I didn't get done for tax or duty either, not sure why but I think they marked it "Gift" or something like that.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 a bald bloke

replaced mine with a kit from the link below, have a pretty old 3rd gen (first of the 30Gb units), new battery took 15 mins to put in (would have been 10 if i was more carefull and did'nt faff about at it, over a year later and all is still good, highly recommended

/www.newertech.com/

replaced mine with a kit from the link below, have a pretty old 3rd gen (first of the 30Gb units), new battery took 15 mins to put in (would have been 10 if i was more carefull and did'nt faff about at it, over a year later and all is still good, highly recommended

/www.newertech.com/
    Cheers for that mate!

Got this link from their website - higher capacity IPod Battery for 3rd Gen iPod + Kit for €40 (including free shipping to Ireland)

But actually just noticed earlier on when i took my iPod outta my iSkin that there was the seal on one side of my IPod was loose / jutting slightly outwards. So temporarily re-sealed it. Will see if it makes a difference and if not, am ordering that kit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Just ordered a battery now but it only cost 27.99 euro! Happy Days!

• Advertisement
Advertisement