Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't you just love book shopping?

Options
  • 16-10-2005 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

I went out today to meet the girlfriend for lunch so we went book shopping afterwards together. She picked up stuff for her drama course and that book by John Banville that won the Booker prize. I went for a selection of things. I bought Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys considering his name seems to be on every site I visit. Also got Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go based on his past performance. Also got the complete works of Poe in hardback, a book on aspirin and Sir James Frazer's The Golden Bough which looks very very interesting.

Anyone else gone on a book splurge lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I spent more than E100 over the summer on various pieces of literature, some LOTR, a few classical history related romps and so on. I have to say I love the book shopping, but I also absolutely loathe it as I always spend more than I should.

Although it's better than what happened last year when my unread book supply became depleted and I had to launch an expedition around my house to find something even mildly entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Book splurge? Hmmm. Bought The Great Gatsby today for €2.25. But I'm guessing that wouldn't really count.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

That's a coincidence, The Great Gatsby was part of the aforementioned girlfriend's drama course purchases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Sometimes I want to go out and buy new books even though I haven't finished reading the ones I've already got! :D I love book-buying... hehe. And book reading too!! ;)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Book buying is like an addiction. Thank God I have a library five minutes away otherwise I'd have no money at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I do it all the time. I have a big pile waiting for me in my bedroom atm!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Buying them is not the problem, finding time to read them .... :rolleyes:

At this stage I need to resort to quotas, 12 books for the month and thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

The joys of working in a bookshop.I get discounts so my books are even MORE enjoyable to read.

Shopping for them is great,it's basically what I do in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I love book shopping, and anytime I visit Dublin I tend to go a bit cracked in Chapters. I had about 400 books in my apartment, so I recently had to pack some off to my parents, but in doing so I found lots of books I want to re-read. Or that I never even read first time out. I think I have a pile of 20 waiting to read at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Eva24

I have no money, but if they'd let me I'd gladly live in Easons, Waterstones etc [but only visit second hand bookstores, I don't like the smell]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I must admit, I'm more of the borrowing persuasion when it comes to acquiring books. I don't buy books that often (not that I dislike the shopping part). That said, I did go out of my way to buy Bram Stoker's Dracula over the weekend. Haven't read it before and I've been meaning to get a copy of it for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 the dice man

Don't join E-Bay so because it can be so addictive!

Especially when you see a really old version of a book for cheap.

I bought a second edition of Last Exit to Brooklyn for a pound once. But I've spent a bit too much on some first editions :rolleyes:

Advertisement