Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Question

• 16-10-2005 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Im new to the auld wireless interweb and had a question. I have been enjoying wireless internet in a hotel, one of the connection tests i done online said it was 1.2 megabits per second. Now someone mentioned to me that anyone can come along and use it for free. So whats stopping people anywhere just driving into the parking lot and turning on their wireless signal to get free internet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

the lack of a car,or laptop,or...
    :rolleyes:

Are you talking about the hotel or WLAN's in general? (Security usually: MACfiltering,WEP or WPA...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Just wireless in general. So if i was walking to campus and just had my laptop and enabled my wireless connection would it work connecting to the university WLAN? I would guess definately not, some sort of security? Just curious, sorry if my question seems stupid to you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Munurty

I don't know how hotels and that work but if you have wireless at home you can put an encription on it so you need a password to gain access to the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Hotels etc use what's known as a captive portal, which means that they're open to all at a network level i.e. anyone can come along and get an address via DHCP, but you're stuck within their private subnet until you provide your payment details. So the guy in the car park will have to pay up just like the guy in the presidential suite.

Advertisement