Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Question

• 16-10-2005 5:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Hi...

I've never been to Ireland and so have never set foot in a pub. I know it may sound like a stupid question, but I was wondering if Irish pubs serve any other kind of food/drink besides alcohol? I am not a drinking person, so I was curious in case I'm ever there in Ireland!! ;)

Thanks!!

:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

alot of pubs in dublin serve hot dinners, tea, cofee.

Its probably like this in most around the country.

My uncle in Galway does the above and very tasty too and you can add sandwiches too to that. During the summer he had a barbeque every saturday evening and that went down a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Irish pubs are not dissimilar to bars all over the world, except it's like someone's opened a bar in their living room.

You can get all manner of soft drinks (cola, lemonade, orange etc.) in pubs, along with tea and coffee (but you won't be popular if you ask for a coffee at 10pm on a busy night in a packed pub). Different pubs also do different ranges of food.

Pub culture is a huge part of Ireland. You may find you come under pressure to have a drink while in the pub - that's more of a problem to deal with than the availability of non-alcoholic beverages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Thanks for the replies.

Wow, that's really interesting. Yeah, I figured there probably would be pressure to have a drink. Don't know as of yet what I'd do in the situation, though.. hehe.

Thanks again...

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You can even ask for a pint of tap water with a dash of cordial like orange, lime etc. Its cheap, most i have evern been charged is 90c but usually its free depending where you go. So a pint of blackcurrent juice is the way to go :D

Or have cocktails made up with no alcohol like sex on the beach which is just fresh orange and cranbrry juice. Ask for it in a pint.. YUM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Saruman wrote:
    Or have cocktails made up with no alcohol like sex on the beach which is just fresh orange and cranbrry juice. Ask for it in a pint.. YUM

Eh, sex on the beach is distinctly alcoholic, with vodka and peach schnapps.

If you want a fresh orange and cranberry, safer just to ask for a pint of it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement