Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading more than your fair share with BT

• 16-10-2005 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I was just wondering how strict BT are with enforcing there 24GB cap on their Broadband plus package.

This is my first month and I've gone a bit crazy. Does anyone know of accounts being charged for going over the cap?

Thanks!

I know this question has been asked before, but it seems as though the thread has been archived.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Don't think so. I have been over my cap a few times, albeit not by more than 2 gigs but have never had any complaints. I personally have never heard of them charging people but if you have gone ridiculously far over they might...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 2003yaris

sorry whats the URL for looking up your usage ? I'm BT user but only really browse so shouldn't be near my cap..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The tracker isn't working for me this month. 0.00 across the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

i went 27 gig last month. no charges of yet, I think if you went over 30 now you might be in trouble but maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I was ~30GB over my 24GB CAP 2 months ago and BT took no actions against me.

You would really have to go crazy(100GB+ every month) for BT to start chargeing/banning people.

Honestly I dont think BT will turn into another UTV as they have heavily invested in the Irish market (LLU 40+ exchanges) and fines are simply bad for business in the long term!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

I was with them for the trial, every month I was will over 50gig. think i hit 100 one month. then I ccancelled and went to IBB, was afriaid of getting charged + IBB's connection does not shut down on me.
    They never said anything to me though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

First Login Mon Mar 14 21:44:25 2005
    Last Login Sat Oct 15 21:27:59 2005
    Last Login Duration 217 minutes
    Logins 178
    Offpeak Traffic 68267 minutes
    Peak Traffic 33400 minutes
    Data uploaded 0.87 GB [930119129 bytes]
    Data downloaded 12.30 GB [13205926640 bytes]

i guess i am not making the nmost of bb

pauld wrote:
    First Login Mon Mar 14 21:44:25 2005
    Last Login Sat Oct 15 21:27:59 2005
    Last Login Duration 217 minutes
    Logins 178
    Offpeak Traffic 68267 minutes
    Peak Traffic 33400 minutes
    Data uploaded 0.87 GB [930119129 bytes]
    Data downloaded 12.30 GB [13205926640 bytes]

i guess i am not making the nmost of bb

Thats an understatement!!!

I got connected to BT about 2 weeks before you and I have downloaded in that time ~240GBytes and uploaded ~60GBytes!!!

Then again the reliability and always on functionality of Broadband can be far more important to people than transferring large amounts of data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Thats a pretty poor thing to do zuma. If everyone treated the service like that the speeds would be rubbish. Just hope I'm not contending with you for my package because I at least "try" to stick to the limits. Not trying to come off like a goodie two shoes but the policy's in place so people can get good speeds when they need them.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what's broadband with a limit tbh???

anyways just wondering do BT have an upload limit aswell as a download one?

(on bb plus btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Some people will just always be more greedy then others. Plus when he runs out of HDD space for all his "legit linux iso downloads" he'll severly slow down. I did the same when I first got BB.
    First Login Fri Jul 4 18:21:11 2003
    Last Login Mon Oct 17 06:52:44 2005
    Last Login Duration 914 minutes
    Logins 1417
    Offpeak Traffic 680568 minutes
    Peak Traffic 261850 minutes
    Data uploaded 26.42 GB [28371962752 bytes]
    Data downloaded 142.46 GB [152963676672 bytes]

But then Esat reset the stats a while back so add on about another 150GB down and 25GB up and thats me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

According to BT the limit is 24GB up and 24GB down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

mikeruurds wrote:
    According to BT the limit is 24GB up and 24GB down.

No, they told me that the 24gb is the transfer limit. That is 24gb of up+down.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Jumpy wrote:

I'm just looking at the BT site today with a view to signing up. From what I can tell it's 24GB each way. Happy days...

https://home.btireland.ie/echannel/res.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=res_products&residentialProducts_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2FresidentialContent%2Fproducts%2FbbFAQ#12

pugleon wrote:
    Thats a pretty poor thing to do zuma. If everyone treated the service like that the speeds would be rubbish. Just hope I'm not contending with you for my package because I at least "try" to stick to the limits. Not trying to come off like a goodie two shoes but the policy's in place so people can get good speeds when they need them.:rolleyes:

What???
    Considering that the vast majority of my downloads occur at night...when most people are asleep...I've never had a problem downloadingover my CAP as it will NOT effect BT's overall service at 04:00!
    And believe me...were not on the same exchange!
    Jumpy wrote:

Its always been the limit each way...whatever the CAP was.
    Currently the standard package is 12GB down and 12GB up with the plus package at 24GB each way as well.

It would be nice is the stats were updated though!
    btstatus4nz.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Sorry. Thought you said 240gb down a month. Or at least thats how I read it.... Overnight is off peek yeah, no one on. And to the others its 24 each way. But I don't think they care as much about upload speeds since it's 13KB/sec theres only so much damage you can do...

Nah just sayin if you were doing 240gb its not fair to others. Again not my dsl business so I could care less so long as its not effecting me :)

Advertisement