Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

just did the ignition, anyone know the pass mark?

Options
  • 16-10-2005 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

did the ignition yesterday, and thought i did pretty well. i have read previous posts on boards of guys passing on mainly 2 marks [relatively low risk] and a few 3's [average risk].

i got nine 3's and three 2's. did anyone get a similar result and know if this will pass or not? i have to wait until lunchtime tomorrow to find out for sure, but i'm just being impatient.

dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

did the ignition yesterday, and thought i did pretty well. i have read previous posts on boards of guys passing on mainly 2 marks [relatively low risk] and a few 3's [average risk].

i got nine 3's and three 2's. did anyone get a similar result and know if this will pass or not? i have to wait until lunchtime tomorrow to find out for sure, but i'm just being impatient.

dave
    Similar to what I got. You'll pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Sure i got an average of a 1/2 and they only gave me 20% discount, i said it them they said they dont give 30%-40% really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Similar to me too, you should definitely pass:)

I only got 20% reduction though, I would have liked to get more, of course.

The one thing I think is bad about it is the way they will make you based on what they see. You may have quicker reaction and anticipation skills than they do meaning you could be driving at a pace you are perfectly safe at but they don't react to the surroundings as fast and think you are unsafe. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

just so you all know, i passed and got the 20% discount.

thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well done, safe motoring.;)

• Advertisement

thanks. the instructor in the practical session was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Does it cost anything to take it? Is it done in your own car? I presume they still do the one for provisional drivers?

Cheers.

costs €225, but you get it refunded if you pass and take insurance with hibernian/tesco. you also get a refund if you fail. th only way you can loose your money is if you pass and then go with a different company - which is pointless as no other company will give you a discount for the ignition.

as far as i know there is an ignition for provisional drivers, but it aint the same. call hibernian for more info, i think it may be a practical only and no theory... but do not take my word for it.

dave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Cheers for that. :) Must give them a ring when I get my licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I did both provisional and full ignition, provisional is basically them seeing how well you drive and how safe you are, the full one is them telling you better ways to drive and is a much better learning experience. They should really do the same with provisional I think Provisional is €70 but you dont get it back like you do for the full one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

i have to wait until lunchtime tomorrow to find out for sure, but i'm just being impatient.
    Well done on the pass!

Out of curiosity, why can they not tell you straight away if you have passed or not?

because the guys that give you the test are not actually working for hibernian. they only pass the marks onto hibernian who decide what is a pass and what is not. but the testers "don't know" the grading that hibernian give, so they will show you your marks but you have to wait to hear from hibernian.

So what you are saying is that although the IAM provide a test they have no say in the pass system and it is quite possible (although unlikely) therefore that drivers who the IAM consider 'unsuitable' may pass the test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys i am sure i got 30% discount.this was in oct 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kbannon wrote:
    So what you are saying is that although the IAM provide a test they have no say in the pass system and it is quite possible (although unlikely) therefore that drivers who the IAM consider 'unsuitable' may pass the test?
    See IAM don't really do a "test" as such. You can't do the course with the IAM only. What they do is a morning of videos and talking about road safety. Then in the afternoon, you go out with the tester, they have a brief chat with you, asking you some simple tech. checks, and things to do before moving off. Then you do an initial assessment drive. After that, the tester tells you everything you did wrong, discusses the rights/wrong/best practice with you. Then the tester drives the same route, as an example as to how they would do it, all the while explaining what they're doing and why.

Then you drive a different route, trying to put into practice what they've discussed with you, generally with ongoing advice/feedback from the tester. At the end of that, they fill out a form. The form has two sections; Before and After. In each of these, they mark you on a scale of 1 to 5 for your risk level, under a number of headings (observation, etc). This form is an Hibernian form, not an IAM test sheet.

Then the form gets sent off to Hibernian who tell you if you've passed or not.

The entire thing isn't really an IAM course, more of an intro to safe driving course.

I see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Damppie

yo

got three '2's and the rest '3's, november 2006.

have to wait til next week to find out...
    just letting people know what the buzz is with the marking scheme currently.
    see if it's still good enough

update then...

Advertisement