Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional License Question?

Options
  • 16-10-2005 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

I am learning how too drive at the mo off a friend. Do I have to have 5 lessens done by a licensed intruder or something like that before I sit my prov test?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

No. You can sit it withouh any driving experience....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Not afaik just need to be able to drive well. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Gas isn't it ? :rolleyes:

You can apply to do the test, wait a while, sit the test and never have had a single lesson.

If you pass the test (which let's face it isn't all that hard) you can drive on a motorway at 120 km/hour. Still no lessons required.

Good luck in the test - though you probably won't need it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You'd want to be sure your friend knows his stuff if your putting your learning process in his hands. Has s/he a full license? Has s/he done any advanced motoring courses (and passed?). Do you know much behind the theory of driving? You could ask him/her to bring you for a drive and you could test him/her secretly (do they indicate properly, stay in the overtaking lane on a motorway) all nigly bits. They add up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

eamoss wrote:
    I am learning how too drive at the mo off a friend. Do I have to have 5 lessens done by a licensed intruder or something like that before I sit my prov test?
    :eek: Sounds painful :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

shabbyroad wrote:
    If you pass the test (which let's face it isn't all that hard) you can drive on a motorway at 120 km/hour. Still no lessons required.

We have one of the strictest tests in the world here, (and I've failed it!)

And we have probably one of the strictest control systems out there - try going to Greece or Italy, or even Belfast, and you'll see what bad driving's like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

cormie wrote:
    You'd want to be sure your friend knows his stuff if your putting your learning process in his hands. Has s/he a full license? Has s/he done any advanced motoring courses (and passed?). Do you know much behind the theory of driving? You could ask him/her to bring you for a drive and you could test him/her secretly (do they indicate properly, stay in the overtaking lane on a motorway) all nigly bits. They add up though.

He has a full license and he is a very good driver. I am getting into the habit of indicate properly & I am keeping to my own side. Only thing I am not doing too well on is stopping I always stop too short and I cant see if there are cars coming. I am getting the CD tomorrow and will study it(wud i be right in saying that it has tests on it?) been on www.lireland.com good site!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

eamoss wrote:
    Do I have to have 5 lessens done by a licensed intruder or something like that before I sit my prov test?
    Are you talking about your provisional test or your driving test? :O
    You shouldnt be on the roads without a provisional or full driving license.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Jaysus, no one else spotted that, have you got your provisional license yet boss? Passed your theory loyke?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If you're talking about your theory test, then you don't need to have lessons before doing a theory test. In fact you wouldn't be able to take lessons at all because you need your provisional licence to take lessons.

Some insurance companies require first-time drivers to take lessons before being insured. I had to take 10 with AXA (very annoying when you can't practise in between lessons).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

eamoss wrote:

You can't take lessons without a provisional licence, although my instructor never asked to see mine when I was taking lessons.:rolleyes:

Just get the book and skim through it, the theory test is common sense.

Advertisement