Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unmetered local calls will never happen

Options
  • 16-09-2001 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

I hate to admit it, but this week has probably been the most depressing weeks for me for many years, and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way. In America, ruthless terrorists with no values murdered thousands of innocent people. This was, in effect, not just an attack on America, but an attack on everyone who believes in democracy and freedom.

Back at home, Eircom have released ADSL prices which are nothing short of farcical. Ireland now is in fact at the bottom of the list of OECD countries in terms of people who have broadband Internet access. Even countries such as Mexico have beaten us in that respect (there is a feature about this in the latest dot ie, where Elana Kohe gets a mention. Well done IOFFL!).

There is still no indication of when flat-rate local calls will become a reality here. Even a FRIACO-based system, which would only apply to certain Internet calls, is nowhere to be seen.

The following article, published by CUT some years ago, really gives me hope towards the future however, and is a welcome change to all the depressing things which are happening at the moment:

http://www.unmetered.org.uk/mythbusters/mythbusters13.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ru1nzx

we'll be waiting a while eitherway i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Yep looks like we'll have to wait for another while. :(:(

Mick.

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

the way things are going I'll probably have a decent IT job before flat rate internet comes back. So yes, it could be some time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Straker

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I thought flat rate internet access was required, under an EU directive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Straker
    Correct me if I'm wrong... but I thought flat rate internet access was required, under an EU directive?
    No. You may be thinking of LLU.

• Advertisement
Advertisement