Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese porcelain tiles?

Options
  • 16-10-2005 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how good they are? Right Price Tiles, TileSavers etc and a few locals are selling them now (polished porcelain tiles) for as cheap as 15 euros a square yard. In August the cheapest I could find was 35 euros, Spanish or even dearer Italian tiles.

Any idea why Chinese tiles are going so cheap, other than the obvious? Any comments, especially the quality? Its for approx 35 sq yd (hall, kitchen & dining).

Thanks in advance!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

positron wrote:
    Any idea why Chinese tiles are going so cheap, other than the obvious?

from what i have heard they are of a good quality, although i dont have any, the reasons behind them being so cheap are the obvious! its the same with chinese slate patio slabs that i saw, really cheap and of an excellent quality but the house i was working for went for grey concrete irish which imo were not as good and were obviously dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I think you will find some of the Chinese tiles are from a mixture of both China and Vietnam.

I do know that one of the biggest tile suppliers to "Wicks" a company similar to B & Q, Woodies etc in the UK is based in Vietnam, they have been supplying Wicks for a few years now with no problems.

A large part of the reason for the low prices is the cost to manufacture in these countries is extremely low, the largest part of the cost start at shipping and then handling at our nice high minimum pay rates.

I know businessmen in both countries and they are extremely honorable to do business with, they are still in times where a handshake is worth more than a signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks guys! It would cost me approx 800 euros to lay them, so I didn't want to make any mistake with the quality of tiles. I guess I will go with the Chinese tiles - thanks to globalization!

Advertisement