Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up wirless security with Apple Mac/Pc

Options
  • 16-10-2005 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've searched through previous threads and found some of the info I was looking for but no for this particular question.
    Basically I want to know if I can set the security(WPA or 128WEP)settings for the wireless router up on a pc, then plug the router into an apple mac(it's compatible with router) and use the Mac as main comp that router is plugged into.
    I originally had everything up and running having used the Mac as the main comp but for some reason it would only allow me to set 64 WEP?!? I though that the Mac doesn't need a wifi card if it's going to be directly connected to the rourter?!
    From what I can tell in manufacture's info, I can get WPA only through XP but doesn't say anything about not being able to get 128WEP on Apple Mac.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yea you should be able to configure router thru PC and then attach it to the Mac.

If the Mac is connected to the router using a wire and not wirelessly, then its (in)ability to use 128 WEP or WPA is not an issue as they only apply to wireless connections. So you can set the Win XP machine to connect using a WPA encrypted wireless connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Idioteque

sound, i'll give that a go now. Thanks for reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ronan2k

Hi
    i am a new mac user and have bought a new aluminium mac book. great!!!
    but i have eircom broad band and have a netopia wireless router, iam having trouble putting my mac onto this network with this router, as when i go to connect it asks me for a wep password, which i understabd is the same a network key, but when i enter it it says connection error,
    i have connected to "ice" broadband through a belkin router with the network key provided and no problems connected first time,
    am I doing somthing wrong?
    all comments and help are most appreciated
    thanks
    Ronan

Advertisement