Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vBulletin Trader Feedback Suggestion

Options
  • 16-10-2005 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Trader Ratings v1.2.0

Seems to be a neat "trader specific" feedback system, to be used hopefully in the SHOP section of these forums. You can see examples running

here

and

here

I dont have access to a test vBulletin distro to I cant play with it myself. Has anyone else got this working or knows anything about it?

We *need* it on the SHOP category damnit!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Something like this would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tklemonade

With something like this in Place boards.ie could become Irelands premier buying and selling place.

Think about it.

It could also be a tool only available to subscribers. Anyone can leave feed back.... only subscribers can see it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

tklemonade wrote:
    It could also be a tool only available to subscribers. Anyone can leave feed back.... only subscribers can see it....
    That'd be an incredibly stupid idea...

What would be the point if new users couldn't see it... you'd be completely cutting out the point of the system in the first place...

Most people who are subscribers have been around long enough to have a bit of common sense (some of them anyway) but new members could come on not knowing anything about how the forum works...

The whole thing would have to be visible to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

the comments system could be seriously abused unless i'm missing something, much like the comments part of the reputation system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

RuggieBear wrote:
    the comments system could be seriously abused unless i'm missing something, much like the comments part of the reputation system
    Less so, I should imagine, as here the comments are both tracked and public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Less so, I should imagine, as here the comments are both tracked and public.

I suppose. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

It would be very handy if the person selling an item would have to tick a box saying "make it possible for the user in this deal can make comments" and put in the username... if that person hasn't ticked the box the buyer can decide to not go ahead with the deal....

The buyer would then have to tick the box aswell confirming that he/she is indeed buying something from that person...

But that'd be incredibly hard to implement...

Perhaps doing what happened with the Help forum and moving that section of boards to different software...

There's plenty of PHP classifieds software around that'd be a good way of trading on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What about people giving negative reviews to traders due to personal grudges?

Stark wrote:
    What about people giving negative reviews to traders due to personal grudges?
    Adapt it so that the seller must specify who it is being sold to. This could be so simple as adding an extra "Accept" button in the same pane as the "Report Post" button and only the thread owner can see it.

The buyer could then be PM'd an invitation to leave a comment should they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Big up ta shootin. Once again on the ball :D
    Looks good and would love to see it introduced

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i fully agree with this idea and should be put in place

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Excellent idea - has my full support!

Perfect idea all of the FS / Trading Forums!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Welp instead of the likes of us FOR SALE ppls bleating about what we should have, I decided to try and find something that might work!

Has anyone got a test distro of vBulletin so we can test it ourselves? Given that the admins are uber busy with other things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tklemonade

Well here is how I see it and the future of boards.ie.

Commercially boards.ie is stuck between a rock and another hard object. To maintain the original ethos of the place via Dev et al’s “vision” and to not go around selling off sh1t to make money is a difficult thing with all the love in tree huggers running around. And given the Admins actual sense of the original “ethos”

The “for sale” boards work as they are. Given the sites original remit of a place to talk sh1te and “oh look here is a spot were mates can buy and sell stuff off each other”.

So you have your free “for selling” place.

Now you want it enhanced.

And this is a loop hole wereI believe the Admins can use to actually generate money towards the up keep and growth of the site.

“The bells and whistles”

Yeah sure it would be real nice to have this little enhancement on the for sale boards… but sure why don’t you or we the user/buyer/seller pay for it?

Boardsie will feasible be one of Irelands biggest web sites some day. It will have to pay for itself.

The subscribers system is the most feasible way of doing this.

Bells and whistles should be part of that commercial package. Ecksor and the Admin team have provided everyone with their basic rights and needs as it were. I for one don’t see why they should go all out to make it a more heavenly experience for free. And I don’t see why any one would begrudge them allowing paid for “bells and whistle” tools.

Though most people like getting their stuff for free so I guess to argue that it should be implemented for free is hardly surprising. Not that they have to implement such a thing.

Perhaps encouraging the implementation of the For sale feedback thingy through a commercialy viable aspect would encourage the Admins to bother even looking into “more work for them”.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Dude, you've been around for a few hours at best; how the hell do you know so much about boards.ie?

As for the idea, personally I think it would be a nice idea to trial it, trying to think of all the different ways it could be mucked up/cause an exponential increase in the workload of the FS Mods is giving me a headache.

Implementing something like this is a rather large policy change for the FS forums, it becomes, essentially, a sub-site. It also makes it more impersonal, turning the "bazaar" that is FS into more of a supermarket.

All depends on what direction the admins want the FS section to go.

CuLT wrote:
    how the hell do you know so much about boards.ie?
    Me thinks its not his first account...
    CuLT wrote:
    As for the idea...
    All valid points. I'm not so sure it makes it impersonal though, as from the example sites the structure of selling doesn't change much. It's still pretty much FS as we know it, but just with the added ability to put a record of a sellers past performance up there, so its easier to tell how satisfied people have been in the past.

I don't think the admins need "encouragement" to try out a new feature. If that was the case, features would be scheduled as per what would generate the most cash, which would be counterproductive in the long run.

I'm not looking for immediate boards.ie implementation of this. I'm happy to try and get this working myself. All I need is a copy of vBulletin. If anyone has one running then let's try it out.

Hmm - €64 for a one year leased licence of vBulletin. I *could* go and buy it, try get this thing running above, and return with a big smilie face. But I don't know what other hacks the admins have running on here, and how they might conflict.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'm just wary of abuse.

Most people who've been around more than a year or so will be aware of either the Karma system, the Reputation system or both. They all know how that turned out.

I'm not objecting outright GoneShootin; just being careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I don't think the admins need "encouragement" to try out a new feature. If that was the case, features would be scheduled as per what would generate the most cash, which would be counterproductive in the long run.

I'm not looking for immediate boards.ie implementation of this. I'm happy to try and get this working myself. All I need is a copy of vBulletin. If anyone has one running then let's try it out.

Hmm - €64 for a one year leased licence of vBulletin. I *could* go and buy it, try get this thing running above, and return with a big smilie face. But I don't know what other hacks the admins have running on here, and how they might conflict.

Check your PM

Aye CuLT that's a concern of mine too. But if the system can be limited to *just* the Shop category, then I think the abuse will be minimal, given that it will be viewed as way of promoting better use of the shop forums.

Something like:
    if ($_POST[userType]=="Original Poster"){
    $profileFeedbackOption =  "Rate this Seller";
    }
    else{
    $profileFeedbackOption = "Rate this Buyer";
    }

Then, as requirements for leaving feedback:
    if ($_GET[user_id]!="Original Poster" && OPhasPMdUser==true && $threadCatergory=="355"){
    if ($_POST[formThreadLink]!=""){
    }
    else{
    echo "<script>alert('Please enter the thread URL in relation to the feedback');</script>";
    }
    }
    else if($_GET[user_id]!=$threadPosters[]){
    echo "<script>alert('Bork: Seller/Buyer not involved in same sale/thread-isn't my psuedo-code crap!');</script>";
    }
    else{
    echo "<script>alert('Error: Seller/Buyer relationship cannot be proven');</script>";
    }
    }

Or summat like that. For all I know all of this is already done in the hack linked in the OP - to keep it withing a specific forum (SHOP) and try to prove a link between the buyer and seller.

image24ji.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement