Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I give him his deposit back ..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

2003yaris wrote:
    Ok Ok I sent him back €50

sheesh :o
    Kinda stingy!! He should should have had his mind made up alright ..
    I would have refunded the lot. You lost out on nothing! So why are you penalizing him for 50 quid. Stingy git!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Stfu retard. Do you wipe your arse with fivers or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

fletch wrote:
    Personally I'd deduct the petrol money from the deposit and give him the remainder

I'd go with this option, if you spent time, traveling, screwing about and wasting time and petrol. I'd keep a few shilling to compensate. Send him $80.

Garages ask for a nonrefundable deposit for quoting work, you do not complete with them, what's different here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

bubby wrote:
    I would have refunded the lot. You lost out on nothing! So why are you penalizing him for 50 quid. Stingy git!

What a pile of crap.

By paying a deposit you are essentially getting a favour from the seller. You are giving a token amount of cash to hold the car while you come up with the agreed price. In return you are committing to buy the car. A refundable deposit is the same as no deposit at all. It is the same as telling the seller that you have no money, aren't really sure you want it but could he hold off on selling it to anybody else while you make up your mind and scrape together the money.

The guy was obviously an idiot, he gave a deposit on something he obviously was not sure he wanted/had the money to buy.

How will people ever learn not to be idiots if they are let away with the consequences of their idiocy?

pedro ferio-vti, two words. Grow Up!!!

In general, if the OP lost out on money .. missed another sale .. called off other viewings etc .. then I would say keep the deposit.

Becuase of the fact that it was only 5 hours later, he lost out on nothing .. it is stingy to keep the deposit. Don't prattle on about contracts etc, or whether it was refundable or non-refundable!! This is more about being a fair, decent and understanding individual.
    You should have done the decent thing and refunded the money.
    As someone said about "What goes around, comes around".

You cold meet him in a job interview (Oh theres that stingy git who kept 50 euros out of my deposit that time.)

Its not a nice thing to do, you lost nothing!!! Life would be pretty ****ty indeed if everyone went around with that sort of attitude!! Where is your compassion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

banned for personal abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

or at least, will be banned when the banning function is working again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

As mentioned a deposit should ALWAYS be non-refundable, otherwise it is pointless. If the seller made this known then there is no question that it should be returned !

Did the potential buyer ASK for it back ? If so thats cheeky !

It is up to the seller, and if it was a dealer then the question of returning a deposit as a gesture of goodwill in order to secure future potential sales is the issue. This wouldn't be the case with a private buyer !

Also, bear in mind that the seller wasted time and money to show his car, whilst the buyer obviously went elsewhere to look at another candidate which he probably bought !

Personally I would always ask for a larger deposit, but I guess that depends on the asking price and also how desperate you are to get a potential buyer out to actually see the car in the first place.

However I think you did the right thing by offering half back, as mentioned "what comes around goes around" and you never have any luck with ill money !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

bubby wrote:
    pedro ferio-vti, two words. Grow Up!!!

In general, if the OP lost out on money .. missed another sale .. called off other viewings etc .. then I would say keep the deposit.

Becuase of the fact that it was only 5 hours later, he lost out on nothing .. it is stingy to keep the deposit. Don't prattle on about contracts etc, or whether it was refundable or non-refundable!! This is more about being a fair, decent and understanding individual.
    You should have done the decent thing and refunded the money.
    As someone said about "What goes around, comes around".

You cold meet him in a job interview (Oh theres that stingy git who kept 50 euros out of my deposit that time.)

Its not a nice thing to do, you lost nothing!!! Life would be pretty ****ty indeed if everyone went around with that sort of attitude!! Where is your compassion!

Really man as mentioned above you should grow up!! a contract is a contract!! if everyone went around breaking them and doing as they pleased then where the World be?????(dont mention footballer here)....if you make a contract with someone then you have to stand by it....not just pull out because you feel like it!! again if it was me then I would have taken the full 100......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

Keep it. A deposit is a deposit.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Really man
    Actually .. I'm female ..!!

Yes, a contract is a contract .. in this situation you can be a stinge-bag or you you can be decent about it.

If a loss was made, I would NOT return the money. A loss was not made ..

Nelly .. take your trunk and shove it!! :) Ye big elephant!! :)
    Its amazing how wound up people get on this forum. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

bubby wrote:
    Actually .. I'm female ..!!

Yes, a contract is a contract .. in this situation you can be a stinge-bag or you you can be decent about it.

If a loss was made, I would NOT return the money. A loss was not made ..

Nelly .. take your trunk and shove it!! :) Ye big elephant!! :)
    Its amazing how wound up people get on this forum. :o

Well man:D take a chill pill!!! nobody getting wound up here!! thats the problem with boards you cant see the face of the person typing!!! anyway I still wouldnt give it back!! you never answer my question about people should be allowed to break contracts when they feel they want to!!! do you think people should be???

Anyway Nelly packs his bag and ........lallalalalala

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

fletch wrote:
    Personally I'd deduct the petrol money from the deposit and give him the remainder
    I second that

Big Nelly wrote:
    you never answer my question about people should be allowed to break contracts when they feel they want to!!! do you think people should be???

No, people shouldn't be able to break contracts whenever they feel like it.
    However, this was not weeks later, this was hours later.
    My reasoning for handing the money back is moral .. becuase no loss was incurred, therefore I can return the money back. If a loss had been made, or a few days had gone by, I would have said straight away.. "Sorry buddy, no." .. but 5 hours. ..

In general, you have no idea why the guy changed his mind. The OP hasn't given a reason. Maybe a death in the family, maybe his heating broke?!! Who knows.

No loss made .. refund the money.

BTW - no, I won't take a chill pill .. I don't do drugs.
    Off he went with a trumpady trump .. trump trump trump.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!

banned for personal abuse

If you're going to ban me, I want bubby banned as well. She personally abused the OP by calling him a stingy git. She (in hindsight you'd know it was a woman) was way out of line to call him stingy when he was well within his rights to keep the entire deposit.

Fair point about Karma and all and I probably should have elaborated on my point a bit but if you abuse others prepare to have it done unto yourself (see Karma above) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

If you're going to ban me, I want bubby banned as well. She personally abused the OP by calling him a stingy git. She (in hindsight you'd know it was a woman) was way out of line to call him stingy when he was well within his rights to keep the entire deposit.

Keep digging there sunshine.

I take it that's the frustration at not being able to silence or ban people coming out?

She (in hindsight you'd know it was a woman) was way out of line to call him stingy when he was well within his rights to keep the entire deposit.

Oiiiii .. watch it. I wasn't the first person to use the phrase "stingy git" on this thread. Your post was completely offensive mate, as is the one you did above.

There is no need for that type of filth!!!

May I ask, what age are you??? Relax, and stop making such an unholy fuss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I take it that's the frustration at not being able to silence or ban people coming out?
    I can site-ban you if you like (site-banning still works and I'm currently viewing it as a temporary local-ban substitute). Even though I'm not a mod here I can still see that you should either take it to PM (both of you, bubby too) or file it away for a help desk ticket when that comes backyou made your point above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 2003yaris

bubby wrote:

what part of "broke his word" and "I had to drive for an hour and a half" do you not understand ?

call me stingy if you like. I like to think that he'll think twice before he does that again.

• Advertisement

When you meet the next person who is interested in the car .. will you charge them for petrol before or after they say they are interested.

This is just a difference in opinion .. thats all.

From my side, I think that he had a bit of a nerve to ask you for the deposit back in the first place. But some people are indecisive about everything .. "will I, won't I, ah maybe " .. I guess I'm just a bit more compassionate about it .. and maybe I am poorer as a result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement