Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kevin doyle

• 16-10-2005 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

just watching the reading and ipswich game.

kevin doyle has scored one and made the other. hes looking really sharp. this is the first time i have seen him and im impressed.

how does everybody else feel about him?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Impressive. He should definitely get a run-out in the next Ireland friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Saw him play for Cork a few times when they had games in Dublin. He always looked a class above the rest. Reading got themselves a bargain - basically paid next to nothing. Sadly Eircom league clubs never get true valuation for their star players. I'm glad he's flourishing in England and not just stuck on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Played very well. He'll probably be on the bench in the next game now that Kitson's back though as Lita cost £1m.

Owen Garvan came on there about 15 minutes ago. Hasn't got a touch yet as Reading are dominating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I watched the 1st half and Doyle looked one of the best players on the pitch. Reading have got themselves a right bargain but Doyle's perfomances and ability come as no surprise to eL fans. The lad is getting better and will no doubt become a full internatioanl this season.

It's a shame though that if a talented eL player is ever going to get capped for their country they have to go to England. Doyle should have been picked for Ireland as far back as a year ago. He's doing nothing different a Reading as he was doing at Cork.

It must be sickening for the likes of Wes Hoolahan, John O'Flynn, Liam Kearney, George O'Callaghan, Jason Byrne, Roy O'Donovan, Stephen Ward, Darren Quigley and many others knowing that the only way they'll ever play for their country is by moving to England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

He's doing nothing different a Reading as he was doing at Cork.
    Apart from doing it at a higher level.
    It must be sickening for the likes of Wes Hoolahan, John O'Flynn, Liam Kearney, George O'Callaghan, Jason Byrne, Roy O'Donovan, Stephen Ward, Darren Quigley and many others knowing that the only way they'll ever play for their country is by moving to England.
    How long ago was it the last time an EL player got capped? Not too long if my memory serves me correct.

Who is to say Kevin Doyle wouldn't have made the Ireland squad this year had he stayed at Cork? Neither you or I. I don't think the possibility of Kerr picking an EL player is that off the wall.

George O'Callaghan played in England and still didn't get capped. The reason he has not got capped is not because of the club he plays for, it's because he has not proved himself to be good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

How long ago was it the last time an EL player got capped? Not too long if my memory serves me correct.

Glen Crowe played against Greece in 2001 before Kerr took over. It was the time David Connolly threw a hissy fit about not being in the original squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I watched Kevin Doyle play against us and he does have a nice touch and doesn't seem to be out of his depth playing in the Championship. To be fair he didn't do too much but from what he did do in the game I was happy to see Steve Coppell give the lad a chance to see what he can do and fair play to him. Also he gets bonus points from me after scoring against the scum today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i missed the last 15 mins. but one of the last things i saw was doyle hitting the crossbar from close range.

also saw ireland for playing for man city today. although he was quiet enough he seems to work extremely hard. always getting forward and picked off some good passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

doyle was good today, good headed goal, worked hard. he almost broke the crossbar with his shot. before that though he played a beautiful ball in for lita, he hit the post.

he was subbed after that.

reading fans dont seem too happy with lita, reading on their boards that he should be dropped and doyle and kitson up top.

and they all seem to realise that they got a bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

kensutz wrote:
    he does have a nice touch and doesn't seem to be out of his depth playing in the Championship. To be fair he didn't do too much but from what he did do in the game I was happy to see Steve Coppell give the lad a chance to see what he can do and fair play to him. Also he gets bonus points from me after scoring against the scum today.
    This is a huge understatement... he has been a star in almost every game hes played for Reading so far. Its hardly a case that Steve Coppell is 'giving the lad a chance to see what he can do'... they know full well what he can do, and he is consistently performing for them now. It would be hard to justify dropping him and if he stays on form for another few months then he'll have to feature for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Was maybe there best player again today, scored one, setup the other, and but for the underside of the crossbar, would have had 2.

Reading know full well the bargain they got, and just because they signed Lita for 1 million, doesnt mean they will play him in front of doyle.

It would be Doyle and Kitson up front, based on form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

No suprise to see Doyle doing well.

How the hell does Doherty and even Robbie Keane get on instead of him in the Ireland team.

Cork City were robbed. But, there was nothing much they could do about it with the clause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Robbie Keane is there because of his proven track record. Kevin Doyle will be an international regular soon, and I think those of us who saw him week in week out for City pretty much knew early on that he was destined to play at the highest level.

Still breaks my heart to see him in a Reading shirt. If City still had him, the league win would now be a mere formality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gimmick wrote:

Still breaks my heart to see him in a Reading shirt. If City still had him, the league win would now be a mere formality!

Odd they never replaced him Mc Hugh off Harps for half the 100k, Cork City werent robbed they gave him the contract, when he was at Wexford he had that "special" aura about him. Wallace got Dolan to sign him for Pats he still that special thing, then Cork got him still looked special now he off to the PL hopefully.

Elliot and Doyle with Keane playing behind them .......a nice irish front line too look forward too.

kdjac

Odd? Perplexing more to the point. I suppose the management looked at the players at hand, and felt that John O Flynn cominmg back to form would be a more than adequate replacement.
    Elliot and Doyle with Keane playing behind them .......a nice irish front line too look forward too

That sounds nice, though Id have Doyle behind the front two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

good to see doyle making a name for himself at reading , not bad as he is outshining a plyer who cost 1 million too.

I wonder what other EL players can do a job now as im sure some championship managers are looking at ireland for bargains.

Wes houlahan would do a good job for a championship team.

Also nice to see stephen ireland getting another tryout at city, hopefully he will be capped in the near future.I hope kerr stays and builds his team around these young players like glenn whelen, joey o brien, ireland, doyle, mcshane will make the breakthrough next season at Man Utd. Owen garvan is doing nicely at ipswich. Addded to that the likes of givens, dunne, duff, both reids, elliot and robbie keane.Its not all as bleak as people make out.

gimmick wrote:

That sounds nice, though Id have Doyle behind the front two.

I reckon the decision not to replace him will cost you the league (derry buying attackers etc etc :)but enyhoo the future......

Good thinking with Doyle behind.
    Elliot
    Duff Keane (playing same system as Chelsea both wingbackattackwingersoutsidecenbtreforwards)
    Doyle
    S Reid O shea (to kick people and play a short pass to any of above, its not hard :D)
    Harte Mc Carthy Dunne Finnan

About the best i can think of and thats hoping Harte gets a club Mc Carthy develops and O Shea stops shatting himself playing for Ireland.

kdjac

/fingers crossed eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Check out what the Reading fans make of him:

http://forum.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28840

"I'll take Doyle over Kitson at the moment."

"Doyle's form since arriving here is nothing short of unbelievable."

"Its funny how we began the season saying it would be Lita and Kitson as automatic choices, now they're having to fight it out for the other space because there is no way you could drop Doyle the way he is playing."

"Doyle has indeed been amazing."

"Its the never say die attitude, chasing seemingly lost causes, working the channels well and spinning quickly and getting past someone with a burst of pace... Doyle is some player."

"Doyle has been nothing short of fantastic so far."

"Doyle has been fantastic this season and if his price tag had been ten fold what it was I would still think he was great value for money."

etc...

Reading are now well clear in second place, Coppell is Octobers 'Manager of the Month', they're 19 games unbeaten (club record) and the Premiership beckons...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I said when he got his chance that Kitson would return to the team after injury at the expense of Doyle, but when Lita got injured he kept his place and has performed magnificently. From what I've seen and read he shouldkeep that place when Lita returns.

Reading have 8 clean sheets in their last 11, which is a fantastic record for the Championship. They'll come up alright, though they'll struggle when they do. I'm delighted for them.

Reading have 8 clean sheets in their last 11, which is a fantastic record for the Championship. They'll come up alright, though they'll struggle when they do. I'm delighted for them.

People said the same about Wigan. I don't expect them to do amazingly when they come up but they'll battle, you can be sure of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    People said the same about Wigan.

Wigan have surprised a lot of people, myself included. The one difference between them and Reading is that Dave Whelan is more likely to spend money on Wigan than John Madejski is at Reading. I know they didn't succeed, but didn't they bid bid for Michael Owen and Scott Parker? Whelan is very ambitious.

I think Charlton are a better reference point for Reading TBH, they'll maintain a steady progression in the hope of staying up, or if they have to go down, in the hope of bouncing straight back up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I know they didn't succeed, but didn't they bid bid for Michael Owen and Scott Parker? Whelan is veryambitious.

Yes and yes....also they came out and said they would pay a striker 100 grand a week if he came to them....ended up getting Connoly....wonder is he on 100k???? lol

100k? You could buy two Kevin Doyles a week for that money!

Another goal for Doyle today as they beat Hull 3-1.

Is it true he gets an eL winners medal too? Good couple of days for him if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Another goal for Doyle today as they beat Hull 3-1.

Is it true he gets an eL winners medal too? Good couple of days for him if so.

He played 11 league games for city before his more so is entitled to a league medal. He even said it himself while doing the pundit job for Setanta Sport during the Shels game last Friday

Pity city had to leave him goes cause of a clause in his contract that kept the price so low. We blame Pat Dolan.

There was a good interview with him in the Irish Examiner about how playing for City really improved his game and helped him become a better footballer. Not the quality of the coaching but the quality of the fans, playing in front of big crowds every week, the European games and all the medai courage that goes with CCFC down here.
    Doyle searching for ‘safe’ house to watch big game

By Colm O’Connor
    OH the glamour of life as a professional footballer. Irish U21 international and Reading star Kevin Doyle is scouting Berkshire for somewhere to watch Cork City’s Premier Division title decider against Derry tonight.

“I am still trying to figure out where to watch the game,” he admitted yesterday. “I saw a few matches over here but I had to go to the pub to watch them on RTÉ. I don’t want to be seen in the pub tonight as we have a game against Hull on Saturday. I just have to find a house with RTÉ for the night.”

Don’t for a moment think that the Wexford man is grabbing a lift on the bandwagon on the week that is. He stood amongst the supporters at last week’s draw against Shelbourne and afterwards chewed the fat with erstwhile colleagues, Liam Kearney and George O’Callaghan.

Championship credentials doesn’t mean club, the fans and the city of Cork will be forgotten.

It was brilliant for me,” he says of life on Leeside. “As a club it improved me as a footballer and got me noticed cross channel. It got me used to playing in front of big crowds and big occasions.

“There is proper sports coverage down in Cork with the papers like the Examiner and the Echo and radio stations like Red FM and all of those things combined to make be better as a footballer.”

Pat Dolan is another who should be included in that latter sentence. Dolan spotted Doyle, then with Adamstown, playing for a Wexford League selection. He signed Doyle for St Pats and when Dolan headed south, Doyle was amongst his first signings. Ironically the Dolan link continues as brother Eamonn is academy manager at the Madejski Stadium.

“St Pats was good but you did not get the same recognition as you get down in Cork and I think that Derry is a bit that way as well.”

It is easy to see why Doyle was a fans’ favourite. In his first season at Turner’s Cross he hit five goals in 39 appearances. He finished the 2004 campaign as City’s top scorer with 13 including strikes against Nijmegen and Nantes in the Intertoto Cup before being short-listed for the Irish Soccer Writer’s Personality of the Year as well as the PFAI Player of the Season.

Prior to his summer departure, he had seven goals in the account - including two in his final game against Finn Harps.

“The game against Finn Harps was pretty memorable,” Doyle admits, “not just because of the goals but because of the send off which I received from the fans that night. That really meant a lot.

“The other highlights of my time there was the European run in the Inter-toto Cup last season and beating Shelbourne in the Setanta Cup this year was also pretty special.”

Since then life for Doyle has been more than special. Four goals in 13 appearances with the Royals and a call up to the Republic of Ireland senior squad are amongst the memorable moments of the past six months. But how does his new footballing life compare with all that he left behind?

“The eircom league doesn’t get much recognition over here but I think the best players in the eircom league would fit in well.

“There is no major difference in skill level. The difference is in the infrastructure and the money. That has been really obvious to me in the four or five months since I came over. Every stadium I play in can hold 20 or 30,000 people.”

Yet all his thoughts this week are of The Shed, the Cross and the thousands present to witness a special event in Irish football.

“I talk to Danny Murphy, Liam Kearney and George O’Callaghan on a fairly regular basis. I would talk to Liam about once a week and I met up with a lot of the lads at the Shelbourne game last week.

“They are nervous as you would expect ahead of a game like this but they know they have to win which I think is a good thing.

“There is no uncertainty - it has to be all or nothing. They have beaten Derry a couple of times this season and I think they are capable of doing so again. But if either club win it will be great for the eircom league. It would be massive as everything seems to be run out of Dublin and for Cork or Derry to win would mean so much.”

Doyle’s 11 games before his departure to pastures new means that he is entitled to a medal - if Cork are victorious. But again he wants to put the club first.

“I played enough games and it would be lovely to get a medal. But I’ll only take it if they have enough - I don’t want to rob someone else of a chance to collect one.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Good interview with him that, and great to see someone who's gone abroad talking up the level of quality over here, unlike a certain Mr. Dominic "I'm better than jesus, I just can't score" Foley.

Keeks wrote:
    We blame Pat Dolan.

And yet anyone else who has a clue about EL football blames Cork City for offering and siging that contract themselves. Its like leaving your car open running on a street and blaming the theif who nicks it.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    And yet anyone else who has a clue about EL football blames Cork City for offering and siging that contract themselves. Its like leaving your car open running on a street and blaming the theif who nicks it.

kdjac

Now now kdjac, we all know that when the contract was being negotiated it was insisted that the sell on clause was retained.. insisted by who I wonder? If that clause (which was insisted on by, oh lets call him D. Polan, to keep a secret identity intact) was not retained Doyler would have moved on when his original contract was up..

Erra.. this is old ground.. He's gone, we're over it.. We're league champions.. I like jam..

Roar wrote:
    oh lets call him D. Polan

Rofl! :D

• Advertisement

Bitter Cork fans!!!!!:eek: Who just the league and yet are still bitter :eek: :eek: :eek:

The shock of it all!!!!

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Bitter Cork fans!!!!!:eek: Who just the league and yet are still bitter :eek: :eek: :eek:

The shock of it all!!!!

kdjac

not bitter at all.. still a little drunk perhaps but certainly not bitter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

KdjaC wrote:

The shock of it all!!!!

kdjac

Bitter! Whos bitter? No-one resents Doyler leaving. We're are all happy to see him do well at Reading. He's a great lad and a really good professional. I think people are a little disappointed at the price he left for. The buy-out clause, which WAS negotiated by Dolan, was a little low to say the least. But from what I've heard, City could be in for a big pay-day should he make an Irish cap or Reading go up. How true that is I don't know.

But you have to be realistic about these things. If a player of real quality like Doyler stnads out in the EL, then EL clubs will have a hard time hanging on to them. Its just the nature of the game. And us City fans could be seeing a few of our stars leaving b4 the start of the new season. We don't have to like, but we will have to accept it

A goal and two assists for Doyle last night put Reading top of the Championship.

Not bad value at all for a 5 figure sum.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41047000/jpg/_41047412_reading203.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,301 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i played with kev u-16 and youths (he is a few years younger than me tho, he always played a few years ahead of himself) i was the niall quinn to his john aldridge, hes doing great and its great to see, glad he stayed in ireland til he was ready for a step up and it meant he went over as a lad expecting to get into the team instead of a star struck teenager!

good on him, lovely fella too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

fair play to doyler and what a deal for reading.

Maybe in future el clubs will think more about the value of their players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Keeks wrote:
    City could be in for a big pay-day should he make an Irish cap or Reading go up.

And they won't be the only ones. :)

Scored again today, an easy close range header.

He has 6 a levels apparently :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭shelsfan

Jason Byrne for all of 15 seconds...and that only happened so that Kerr could force Shels to pay about €10k to Bray Wanderers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

mchurl wrote:
    fair play to doyler and what a deal for reading.

Maybe in future el clubs will think more about the value of their players

he had a minimum fee release clause in his contract. cork city did not want to sell him for so little. everyone knew he was a bit special...

he had a minimum fee release clause in his contract. cork city did not want to sell him for so little. everyone knew he was a bit special...

didnt know this but maybe it will make clubs think about these release clauses although i know some players may not sign if they dont get them

• Advertisement

Another goal there, 4 in 4 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

when you think of it maybe 1 more season with cork could have served his profile even better, ie. champions leagues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

blu_sonic wrote:
    when you think of it maybe 1 more season with cork could have served his profile even better, ie. champions leagues
    Are you serious? Doyle will most likely be a Premiership player by the time Cork kick a football in the qualifying phase of the CL.

Possibilty of a couple of games in the CL qualfiers, versus 38 Premier league games, I know which I would prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Fair play Doyler.

Showing what a player he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i just make the sujestion that IF cork make the champs league proper he would no doubt shine and in effect be hot property for europes elite!

His "value" would increase more by doing what he did... leaving Cork and getting promotion (which is highly likely) with Reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Geg124

He is an excellent player. Cork lost a brillaint player when they sold him

Don't think has been posted before, its a brief compilation of some of Doyle's goals for Cork. Very poor video/sound quality but its (barely) watchable.

http://rapidshare.de/files/8636510/Kevin_Doyle_Compilation.wmv.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

For 8megs and nearly 5 minutes, you don't expect great quality! That said, you did get Kevin Doyle! :)

jus serves to show why doyler is doing so well over at reading

He got their player of the month award as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement