Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kevin doyle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

KdjaCL wrote:
    Woohoo 1 part of the team that could actually be a considered "world" class!!!

Keane proven world class, Doyle soon to be.

Now all we need is the other 2 parts.

kdjac

eh GK lads surely? I rate given highly...but thats another arguement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Trilla wrote:
    He'll do well. It was even clear from that shíte we went to up in Dublin last wednesday that he'll more than make the cut

Misread that for a second and thought it said "It was even clear from the shíte he went to up in Dublin that he'll more than make the cut".

Sorry KdjaC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Our midfield and defence is still ****e, up front possibly isnt. :confused:
    joesoap wrote:
    Misread that for a second and thought it said "It was even clear from the shíte he went to up in Dublin that he'll more than make the cut".

You went to college yeah? :p

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm happy with 8 of our 11 players - Given, Dunne, Finnan, Duff, Reid, McGeady, Keane and Doyle. Fill in the blanks though... :(

eirebhoy wrote:
    Fill in the blanks though... :(

Players to get the ball and give it to that lot, ie a middle part CMFs and CBs.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Im even happy with Dunne and O'Brien together. Dunne I think has been a very good player for Ireland. O'Brien will suffice beside him. Left back, centre mid and right wing are where im worried.

McGeady I still have my doubts about but he seems to have the potential to fill that role.

Is Alan Quinn getting a game for Sheff Utd? He was a good player, havent seen him in sometime.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'm happy with 8 of our 11 players - Given, Dunne, Finnan, Duff, Reid, McGeady, Keane and Doyle. Fill in the blanks though... :(

I dunno about McGeady...I now it was only a flash in the pan performance but young o Brien can do a job. Hoepfully we can get Andy Reid fit, and he'll take the MR

Given
    Finnan
    Dunne
    O Brien
    Harte

Duff
    O Shea
    S Reid
    A Reid

Doyle
    a star in the making!
    Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eirebhoy wrote:

Means we need a centre back , a left back and a centre midfielder(if you look at things as simple as you can) .

Maybe Patrick McCarthy can develop into the player that will fill that centre back spot , time will tell .

Hopefully Stephen Kelly will improve and fill that left-back role but you never know how a full back will play on the opposite side to their used to .

That leaves a centre midfielder , and really you can only hope that a solid player will fill the gap . With Reid being inclined to push on that's not a problem anyway , hopefully the likes of Gamble(ya I know yet to be tested at the level) or Gavin Whelan can fill the role or maybe even young Gibson in a good few years .

Trilla wrote:
    I dunno about McGeady...
    I do and he's been excellent this season. :) When Maloney gets back from injury most Celtic fans would actually prefer to see Nakamura dropped for him rather than McGeady (if it was one or the other) and that's saying something. I've never once felt McGeady should be in the Ireland team until this season. He's like a different player this year and has set up 3 goals so far. Plus he'll be playing Champions league football this season. :)

Link to the goal:
    http://gimehost.com/v/2900857/1156380293758.zip.html

btw - I think you may need this codec if you can't view it:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm

You'll need that codec for a lot of video's these days anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Trilla dont lie to me, you met Jimmy Doyle not Kevin Doyle!

Doyle and Keane up fron in Stuttgart, has to be.

Surely Staunton will start with a 4-5-1 against Germany. In my opinion a 4-5-1 with Doyle up front and McGeady , Duff and Robbie Keane (with a very deep role) running off him is best way to go for Ireland. I think Doyle would love Croker, he needs space to make his runs and he needs crosses also. I dont think Ireland have a good enough midfield to go for a 4-4-2? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

What a joke of administration in the Eircom League. £70000 and 2 years later hes worth £3m. Cork were done big time and its only a matter of time before Shane Long makes his Irish debut. Fools. Darrly Murphy transferred to Sunderland for a similar fee and has been their best player this season. When are eircom league sides going to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

to the bigger foregin clubs EL players are still unproven at the top level, look at the people shoddy collins brought to carlise, they didnt exactly set the league over there alight, until EL clubs start preformaing well in europe they have little hope of commanding reasonable 6 figure transfer fees, never mind 7 figure ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

its simple - build in performance related clauses as well as sell on clauses

Play X games in Prem Y amt
    Score X games in Prem - Y Amt
    Make Int Debut - Another X - 20 caps More again

Buyinc clubs would prob agree to these as they would only pay if the player is succesful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah I'm a big fan, think he'll be something special (already v.good)

As said before, he fills a void in the national team which leaves problem areas as 1 CM, 1 CB and a LB...but at least on the left we have "adequete" cover in Harte and O'Shea...hardly the most solid in the world, but Harte at least has good range of passing and set piece.

No idea who can fill the other 2 spots, which unfortunatly are critical :(

But Yeay for doyler, I see 15+ goals in him this season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

finnpark wrote:
    What a joke of administration in the Eircom League. £70000 and 2 years later hes worth £3m. Cork were done big time and its only a matter of time before Shane Long makes his Irish debut. Fools. Darrly Murphy transferred to Sunderland for a similar fee and has been their best player this season. When are eircom league sides going to learn.
    Not the league's fault (oddly! :)), the clause was written into his contract.

Jaysus its been some journey even since this thread began, and there was a heck of a lot more even before that!

Fair play Doyler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Simply put, this guy is the best player to come out of Ireland since Roy Keane.

He will be involved in a multi-million transfer sooner or later, and will be remembered as an all time great.

Anyway, this has been said 100's of times already.

Most annoying thing though, is that there is a picture of me awarding him with the FourFiveOne Player Of The Year award 2004, and the only prick who has the photo, conveniently cant find it.

Haha, great little anecdote (not for you obviously)! Was I hearing right when someone mentioned to me that Alan Shearer said Doyle was the best bargain of the decade, or was it season, or neither?

^ Ever

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    ^ Ever

Jeez, well that says it all. There was a great quote in one of the tabloids today, can't remember for the life of me which one it was though. Basically Steve Coppell was talking about when he was scouting Doyle initially and he had a couple of pints of Guinness in him and basically said something along the lines of "Ah sure, I'll sign him!"

Wasn't exactly like that obviously but that was the general impression it gave. Sums the whole situation up fairly well tbh.

I hear Shane Long was devestated not to get a run out in the end today too, his story is almost as amazing as Doyle's, considering he was really nowhere near the Cork first team when he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Im delighted for Doyle, even though he bagged one against us! Everytime I see him Im impressed. He has so much going for him, good in the air, good finisher, surprisingly quick for a big man and add to that his attitude/commitment.

However we are only 6 games into his first Premiership season so its premature of us but also unfair of us to be billing him as a great Irish player. Reading look capable of staying up and that will be crucial to his development. I wouldnt like to see him move to a bigger club just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I hear Shane Long was devestated not to get a run out in the end today too, his story is almost as amazing as Doyle's, considering he was really nowhere near the Cork first team when he left.
    I really felt sorry for Long, he was waiting on the touchline about to be brought on when one of the defender's got injured and they had to bring on someone else.
    Delighted to see Doyle do so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

I agree with the sentiment that eL clubs sell far too cheaply to the Bungiership. But I suppose if you're strapped for cash, and the buyer knows it, then you're in a corner.
    Doyle is clear that he took the right route, via the eL, rather than going to England. Something the FAI and our schoolboy hothousers could learn from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

gimmick wrote:

He will be involved in a multi-million transfer sooner or later, and will be remembered as an all time great.

Anyway, this has been said 100's of times already.

Most annoying thing though, is that there is a picture of me awarding him with the FourFiveOne Player Of The Year award 2004, and the only prick who has the photo, conveniently cant find it.

Never saw Doyle as the star player. But he was a great team player.

He rarely had a bad game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

gimmick wrote:

Jumping the gun a little bit.

Jumping the gun a little bit.

I don't agree. Don't forget some people have seen him plenty before this season and last.

^ Precisely. I had the pleasure of watching Super Kev for 2 and a bit seasons while he was at Cork City, and it was clear to all that this guy had 'it'. Its no surprise to any City fans, or indeed, any other fans whose defences Doyler tore apart, that he is doing so well today.

He will only get better. Mark my words on that. It wont be long before he is at Arsenal, Man U or Liverpool. But hopefully he stays at Reading until the end of this season at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

TBH I wouldn't mind seeing him at the Pool in a year or two.

Seems a great player and what's even better, has a great attitude to towards the game!

• Advertisement

Slurms wrote:
    TBH I wouldn't mind seeing him at the Pool in a year or two.

Seems a great player and what's even better, has a great attitude to towards the game!

Hope he doesnt go there, Rafa buys too many players so for me its arse or Utd, pool and spurs would be bad choices.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gimmick wrote:

much like rooney is the new pele???

^ How do you figure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

He's still a long way to go before he passes out Robbie and Duffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Not to mention Shay Given.

Best player since Roy Keane? Get a grip lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gimmick wrote:
    ^ How do you figure?

Basically a lot of English people were(and still are) overhyping Rooney. All this crap about him being the new pele when he was sixteen. He's now gone 2 years without a CL goal, had a terrible WC torunament and isn't performing well in the premiership. Ergo he was overhyped.

Anyone saying Doyle is the new Roy Keane is doing the same IMHO. When Duffer came on the scene people went insane, now he's having trouble living up to peoples expectations(which for a large part were so high due to him own excellence). Everyone thought Robbie Keane was going to be the best player Ireland ever produced but he turned out to be just very good.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't say he's going to be the best player since Roy Keane and that statments like this can only be counter productive. Liam Miller was the 'new roy keane' at one stage and look what that did to him.

Roy grew and grew as a footballer. He got better and better till age caught up with him. Perhaps doyle can do the same but people shuldn't expect this. if he gets to a certian age, is very good and just stops getting better that's ok too.

• Advertisement

^ Fair points, but
    Roy grew and grew as a footballer. He got better and better till age caught up with him. Perhaps doyle can do the same but people shuldn't expect this.

I have seen Doyler for about 4 years now, and he has gotten better and better since I first saw him play briefly with St Pats. He came to Cork City, was a revelation, went to Reading, was a revelation, and is now enjoying a very good opening few weeks in the Premiership. Not sure about you, but I see a bit of a trend developing there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

gimmick wrote:
    I have seen Doyler for about 4 years now, and he has gotten better and better since I first saw him play briefly with St Pats. He came to Cork City, was a revelation, went to Reading, was a revelation, and is now enjoying a very good opening few weeks in the Premiership. Not sure about you, but I see a bit of a trend developing there :)

Too many flash in the pans to start talking him up yet, remember Marcus Steward etc who came up and did great for one season and have done nothing since, in 2-3 years time if he is still banging them in then we can big him up

It's not even so much about the fact that Doyle is scoring now though, its the fact that he is playing absolutely out of his skin and has been for a few years now. The guy has such incredible ability and potential (I hate that word!) that its fairly clear he'll be doing it for years to come.

But lets see him do it for the next six or seven years until we bill him as the "best Irish player since Roy Keane".

It would be an insult to Given, Duff and Robbie Keane to do otherwise. You could probably throw Steve Finnan in that pile too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Finnan is a good right back.

He's nothing special.

• Advertisement

no where near roy keane. doyle was 23 last week ( i think ), Roy Keane at 23 just signed for United for a record breaking fee. Id love to think so lads but tbh i really doubt he'll reach those standards

Wouldn't agree that robbie keane has been a "very good player" for his country for the last few international seasons. At one point I actually believed he and his antics (diving and over complicated play) were more of a liability.

Back to the point...
    It is not realistic to state that Doyle is the best player to play for Ireland since Roy Keane. Give him a few years and then we'll see. In like manner, judging his ability against plyers in the EL is hardly a fair acid test. I'm not having a go at anyone for thinking otherwise, but I think it is far to early to make any decision.

gimmick wrote:
    Best player since Roy Keane?
    "best Irish player since Roy Keane".
    the best player to play for Ireland since Roy Keane.

He didn't say best player since Roy Keane, or best Irish player since Roy Keane, or best player to play for Ireland since Roy Keane.

"Best player to come out of Ireland since Keane", however, implies that at the time of leaving Ireland he's the best to leave the Irish leagues since Keane. If that makes any sense.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He didn't say best player since Roy Keane, or best Irish player since Roy Keane, or best player to play for Ireland since Roy Keane.

"Best player to come out of Ireland since Keane", however, implies that at the time of leaving Ireland he's the best to leave the Irish leagues since Keane. If that makes any sense.
    Well I'm sure Given, Robbie Keane and Duff all come out of Ireland at one stage?

Regardless, lets not over-hype the lad, he looks like a talent so let him prove his worth before we get the inevitable "Doyle wasn't even the best striker in the EL and look how good he has done" etc.

MrJoeSoap wrote:

No, not really. To me it implies what I wrote :D

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Finnan is a good right back.

He's nothing special.
    Champion's League winner, FA Cup winner, right full of the year while in an average Fulham side, in his first year in the Premiership, numerous right full of the year awards, and Benitez stated he's the most consistent player in the squad.
    Yeah, you're right, we've better players who can do a job there for us.

Champion's League winner, FA Cup winner, right full of the year while in an average Fulham side, in his first year in the Premiership, numerous right full of the year awards, and Benitez stated he's the most consistent player in the squad.
    Yeah, you're right, we've better players who can do a job there for us.

tbh I think you are both over doing it, but Id tend to slightly agree with you (tetsujin1979). In terms of overall ratings, Id give Finnan a healthy 7.5 out of ten in terms of class. With Dennis Irwin at 8.5, and the likes of Maldini at 10.

to say he's above average is a little bit cheeky, he deserves a better rating than that.

back on topic - Kevin Doyle has the potential to overcome the likes of Duff and Robbie Keane again in terms of overall class and quality, but is that really saying something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

gimmick wrote:
    ...I first saw him play briefly with St Pats. He came to Cork City, was a revelation, went to Reading, was a revelation, and is now enjoying a very good opening few weeks in the Premiership.
    Beautifully and subtly done. Snuck in a clear implication that Pats are to Cork as Cork is to Reading/the English Premiership. ;)

Well I'm sure Given, Robbie Keane and Duff all come out of Ireland at one stage?

Yes, but they weren't at the same level as Doyle when they left.
    Regardless, lets not over-hype the lad, he looks like a talent so let him prove his worth before we get the inevitable "Doyle wasn't even the best striker in the EL and look how good he has done" etc.

Lol, he wasn't though!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Yes, but they weren't at the same level as Doyle when they left.
    Then surely their success is even more profound?
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Lol, he wasn't though!
    I know. But perhaps he wasn't eyed for what he had done, more what he could go on to do? Maybe people saw that he could develop into a far better player than he was.

Bottom line is, to say that Doyle is the best player to come out of Ireland since Roy Keane is pure and utter garbage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement