Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kevin doyle

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Then surely their success is even more profound?

Well Doyle has achieved a heck of a lot in the 15 or so months since he left Cork, and shows no signs of stopping. If he continues to rise at this rate he will certainly be one of Irelands most important players.
    Maybe people saw that he could develop into a far better player than he was.

Definitely, even Cork fans will admit to that I'm sure.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Thats mental money. I wouldn't pay 1 million for him to be honest. Maybe 700k. He is still unproven in terms of alot of the strikers on show in the Championship. I ain't saying he aint doing well but how many flash in the pan strikers have been around and faded away over a few seasons. If he keeps this up over 2-3 seasons they he will certainly be worth major bucks!
    Big Nelly wrote:
    If Reading put on market now you might, and thats a big might, get a PL team in relagation or just above it moving for him. They would only pay over 500-700k max. There is no way a player that cost 100k has gone to 2-3million in 6 months of footie. How many games has he played at professional footie?

09/01/2006

Less than 9 months later, what would you value him at... just out of curiosity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Im just wondering here, and may be very wrong, but would peoples views of Doyle be different if he were a bit part player with Liverpool/Arsenal/Celtic/Man U if he had come through their youth system after having left Ireland at a very young age?

Are peoples views being somewhat tainted by the fact he was at Cork City until the age of 20 and went to a 2nd tier club in the UK?

Shane Long put Reading Reserves top of the Reserve Premier League with both goals in a 2-1 win over Chelsea last night.

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10306~902483,00.html?ptvParm=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

If he put in a transfer request today he would easily go for £2m, probably closer to £5m.

He was outstanding last year and has been reading's most influential player this season and looks like he has more improvementleft in him. I mean there are strikers in a division down going for a few million. I would say he is worth between £2m - £5m sterling easily. What first team Irish International would go for less than £2m. Exactly, not one (maybe Andy O'Brien and hes still worth over a million and is quite old). In 2 to 3 years time he will be worth double figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Shane Long put Reading Reserves top of the Reserve Premier League with both goals in a 2-1 win over Chelsea last night.

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10306~902483,00.html?ptvParm=
    Good to hear. It sounds like he should have had a hattrick from the Chelsea report:
    "Quite how Long failed to complete his hat-trick when he missed a chance just one notch up from a tap-in, he’ll be asking himself all the way back to Berkshire."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    09/01/2006

Less than 9 months later, what would you value him at... just out of curiosity?

I think at the time 700K was a wild underestimate, given his age and potential. I'd see him go for 1-2 million now - more at the end of the season given the stupidity of the market.

He's played very well so far, 3 goals and an assist in 6 games, if he continues on anything like his current form I can see him making a big move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

gimmick wrote:
    Im just wondering here, and may be very wrong, but would peoples views of Doyle be different if he were a bit part player with Liverpool/Arsenal/Celtic/Man U if he had come through their youth system after having left Ireland at a very young age?

Are peoples views being somewhat tainted by the fact he was at Cork City until the age of 20 and went to a 2nd tier club in the UK?
    I think that this aspect of the debate, and the bargain basement transfer fee, are proof positive of the under-rating generally of the national league.
    Last vestiges of the old inferiority complex now being enjoyed by the people of Reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

SectionF wrote:
    I think that this aspect of the debate, and the bargain basement transfer fee, are proof positive of the under-rating generally of the national league.
    Last vestiges of the old inferiority complex now being enjoyed by the people of Reading.
    The transfer fee was set by the release clause in his contract, at Cork any club from Boca Juniors to Locamotiv Moscow could have come in with that cash and he would have had to speak to them, and that is all they would have to pay as a transfer fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

SectionF wrote:
    Before we start dishing this out, let's remember this is one player.

I seem to recall a certain Wesley Hoolahan being tipped for stardom, in fact apparently he would be playing in the CL for one of the old firm after starring at Livingston and being snapped up. Now he is battling it out for a place in the team at Blackpool. A team in the relegation zone in League One.

Doyle is the exception, not the norm, and even at that he still has a lot to prove.

Was just looking at the Fantasy Football, and the only strikers doing better than Doyle at this stage are the £24m Drogba, £8.6m Johnson, £12.8m Saha, £3m Bent (worth a fair bit more at this stage I'd imagine), £11m Henry and £31m Rooney.

Not bad for a lad who was bought for around the same as what Ballack earns in 4 days!

Five goals already and he's looking right at home in the Premiership. Hope he can bag a couple on Wednesday and get off the mark for Ireland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJNeqiOPmDw
    Now he is battling it out for a place in the team at Blackpool. A team in the relegation zone in League One.

Battle he did, and now he is showing his class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Reading director of football Nicky Hammond insists the club is not interested in selling striker Kevin Doyle to Premiership rivals Blackburn Rovers, despite reports suggesting the Ewood Park club would be willing to pay as much as £8m for his services.

Doyle took his tally in his debut Premiership season to five with Reading’s third in the victory over Tottenham on Sunday.

Reports in Lancashire suggest Blackburn are weighing up a big-money move for the Irish international – but the Royals insists Doyle is staying at the Madejski Stadum.

Hammond said: “We want to establish ourselves in the Premiership and we won’t do that by selling our best players. Kevin Doyle signed a new contract recently and he won’t be going anywhere.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

That would be a handy 10% for Cork City (though I am aware Pats and Adamstown would also get a few quid).

Doubt he would go this early though, and would probably be well advised to stay put until the end of the season at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gimmick wrote:
    That would be a handy 10% for Cork City (though I am aware Pats and Adamstown would also get a few quid).

Doubt he would go this early though, and would probably be well advised to stay put until the end of the season at least.

Tbh hes worth 20 :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I seem to recall a certain Wesley Hoolahan being tipped for stardom

And don't you forget it, either. He wont be long at Blackpool and teams of that ilk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Slash/ED wrote:
    And don't you forget it, either. He wont be long at Blackpool and teams of that ilk.
    I won't. I hope he does well. But to be honest seeing as he will be 25 by the end of the season, he would really want to put his foot on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Kevin has a got bit still to do to prove he is worth 8mil. He has to establish a reputation. If he got an injury, dropped down pecking order at Reading, if Coppell got sacked and the new Manger didnt fancy him etc etc, then he could very well find himself a distant memory playing along side Wes at Blackpool. Kevin is the exception and his progress from Cork to the Prem.

Regarding value - I think Man City paid a club record 3 mil for Lee Bradbury who 3 years previously had cost Pompey 500 quid to buy out his contract with the British Army

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

If Reading stay up, I would like to see Doyle stay with them this year and next. If he got two years of Prem football under his belt, who knows who would be looking for him at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

sundula wrote:
    Regarding value - I think Man City paid a club record 3 mil for Lee Bradbury who 3 years previously had cost Pompey 500 quid to buy out his contract with the British Army

Thanks for the reminder. Yet another terrible signing by us. Take out the two 'R's in Bradbury and what do you get?? Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I won't. I hope he does well. But to be honest seeing as he will be 25 by the end of the season, he would really want to put his foot on it.

Agreed, and as such his move to Livingstone was pitfiully badly advised and poorly thought out, but he's good enough to be playing at a much higher level.

• Advertisement

Another one in the bag today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yep earned the peno then slotted it home. Super.

7 in 14 and joint 2nd top scorer isn't bad at all.

Still not been much said about him in the UK - Johnson and Defore and Bent would all be highly touted for outscoring/levelling Rooney/Henry's tally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

8 in 15 joint top scorer.

kdjac

gwan young Doyle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

And he wasn't even the best player at Cork City!:)

Georgie for Ireland!!!!!

God! I have to watch Fox Soccer Channel for the premiership (its just like at home when I wandered out bleary eyed on saturday morning with a hangover and a duvet to crash on the couch and watch Football Focus- except earlier) and it is painful.

Today's little chat about Doyle informed us that he was actually from Cork (not Wexford apparently) and moved from his hometown club to the premiership. They compounded this by saying he was just like another famous Corkman who played for Cork and made it big in the premership...but he had a long way to go before he was like Roy Keane...

I so miss Giles and Dunphy...these guys even make Eoin Hand and Peter Collins look insightful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Do you think Dunphy or Giles knew about Doyle before he went to Reading?

They did in there bollix.

I've never seen either at a City match.

Agree about Eoin Hand. What a boring Dub!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Who else is top scoreer with him? Lets hope he can start doing this at international level now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Mushy wrote:
    Who else is top scoreer with him? Lets hope he can start doing this at international level now
    the ugly drog

Advertisement