Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless router..

• 16-10-2005 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I want to get a wireless router but i'm not too sure which one.I know about the b/g classes and I want to get a G router...
    I was looking at this one on komplett,
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306149&cks=PRL
    and it seems like a good one..but is it?
    My budget is €100, fairly close anyway..

Thanks,
    Hakko

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Aye. 'tis the dogs..
    You know that SpeedBooster is proprietary muck - you only get it if you have a compatible card. Otherwise it runs at the normal g speeds.. Still, this is more than sufficient - just saying it so you keep it in mind when deciding a wireless Network Interface Card (NIC)..
    Also, keep in mind shipping;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

I bought the cheaper LinkSys router without the SpeedBooster.
    In fact, I'm the first reviewer of the product on the web page below.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306148&cks=PRL

I had one connection problem to start with, which I documented in my review, but the fix I found worked perfectly. No problems since.

Looks like SpeedBooster only works with other LinkSys wireless cards which implement SpeedBooster.

I'm happy enough with the router. I rarely stray any further than downstairs from the router, but still get an "excellent" signal.
    Just read up on wireless network security after you get the router working.
    Ie.
    Encryption settings,
    MAC filtering ( only lets your laptop connect ),
    don't broadcast SSID

regards,
    Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

I see, so SpeedBooster is the only extra feature..I have an Intel pro wireless 2200BG card in my laptop.. Where can I check compatability.
    Also what kind of speeds should I be looking at with my current card and router and I was using SpeedBooster what would I get?
    I checked the site in regards shipping and would I be right in saying that it will cost €10?

Another thing is, I am living in student accommodation and have net access in my room via the college network can I just set up the router and stick it in there to my my connection wireless or does it have to connect to a raw BB line..

Thanks..
    Hakko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

"..with SpeedBooster incorporates the next generation of Wireless-G (802.11g) networking. SpeedBooster technology is a compatible add-on to standard Wireless-G, which increases "real-world" wireless network performance by up to 35%." ..so they say!
    :rolleyes:

compatibility - google,or linksys.com, or linksysinfo.org :rolleyes:

Yes-depending on shipping method.

just plug it in..you may want to check with your college admin. staff first..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I see, so SpeedBooster is the only extra feature..I have an Intel pro wireless 2200BG card in my laptop.. Where can I check compatability.

Won't make a difference all my nics are speedboosters its only when all your nics are speedbooster then you can see a difference - My connection is approx 112Mbps -
    But my laptop dell 510m has a intel 2200BG in connects at 54mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

I see.. Dont think i'll bother with speedbooster, sure whats the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

The point is - IF all your nics are linksys speedboosters then its great - If they are not you would be better of with the normal version of it.

Advertisement