Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

satelite broadband options help please.

• 16-10-2005 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

hello:i am looking to get broadband,but the pnly way for me would be satelite bb.as i live in a rural area god knows when eircom will upgrade our exchange here.

so i would like to hear from others like me that have to opt for satelite bb due to the rest not being available,also can someone please reccommend a good company to go with for bb,also reasonably priced with reasonable speeds thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Well ... it depends whther you want 1 way or 2 way Broadband ..
    1 way means you will need to keep your dial-up for the upload..

If you already have a SKY dish, then you could avail of those providers that use the Astra 28.2 satellite...
    I use AVC Broadband and find them very good another alternative is Central Point (CPSAT)
    There are others that use different satellites, but that will mean using a dish pointed at a different direction generally.

You will also need a SAT card (Skystar2) possibly a Quad LNB if you go the SKy dish route and some sat cable (ct100)

If you do a search on this board you will find other related topics which i'm sure will help alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Try www.teles-skydsl.com I am with them and i get 1mb a/sec and 1Gb download allowance for €16.90 a month. They have packages starting from €6.90 but you are charged at 1.5¢ per mb you download. I was in a similar situation and Eircom promised me my area would have broadband, by this September (it's now october) back in Feburary, i got sick of waiting and got Skydsl one-way sat bb. My community is now working on a county and group bb scheme and hopefully that will arive sometime before next summer. A survey is currently being carried out. I now reckon that from various readings, That Ireland will never have 100% ADSL coverage and that Sat BB is the only option for rural areas like my own. My area is rapidly exanding and yet dosen't have a high-speed data internet service. Thats what happens when such an essential service is left to be provided by Private Enterprise. I blame FF and the PDs and if i had to take the plane from Shannon like millions beofe me i wouldn't give them a vote, a penny or an ounce of credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

any other way to order with sky dsl?.i don,t have credit cards or paypal.
    wonder do the do bank transfer?.

Advertisement