Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Food

• 16-10-2005 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Do you like Chinese Food? loads of Chinese takeaway open up in Dublin. Are they really Chinese?

Tell me what u think?

Do you like Chinese food? 27 votes

Yes! Lovely! order most of time
    0% 0 votes
    It is Ok
    74% 20 votes
    No
    25% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

Well from my expierence they aren't really chinese. Those take aways often steal a lot of ideas and recipies from other asian countries such as India or Thailand. They adopt their food to make it taste better for us Irish really.

I'm quite sick of eating chinese food. I have to eat it everyday... *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭SpongeBob2000

Alvis wrote:
    Well from my expierence they aren't really chinese. Those take aways often steal a lot of ideas and recipies from other asian countries such as India or Thailand. They adopt their food to make it taste better for us Irish really.

I'm quite sick of eating chinese food. I have to eat it everyday... *sigh*

Your said that because your are Chinese. You are lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its fine.. no we dont eat authentic chinese.. they dont even have curry on their menu anwhere outside of UK and Ireland. You certainly cant get it in the states where its more authentic.. although i do LOVE a chinese prawn curry :D with chips.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

It really depends on the place IMO... I personally love TinTins on Baggot Street, their chicken curries are second to none, however Iv been to other places and gotten literally a bowl of grease with some rubbery "chicken" floating in it.. Not nice :(

But chinese would be my take-away of choice definately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Oh word of advice for chicken curry.. to avoid getting rubber processed 10% chicken like you get in some places.... order the breast of chicken if they have one. They almost have to be real chicken.

Our local one in Rochfortbridge does the best curry (chinese) i have tasted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Saruman wrote:
    Oh word of advice for chicken curry.. to avoid getting rubber processed 10% chicken like you get in some places.... order the breast of chicken if they have one. They almost have to be real chicken.

Yeah the place across the road from me does a whole breast in their curry if you ask them which is lovely but the sauce isnt great and their rice is always glued together... They can never get it just right :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I have gone off chinese food of late as I find it really sythetic and full of all kinds of crap.

Thai food is my new favourite. Much simpler and seems less processed.

Diep in Ranelagh, Thai Orchid in Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

love chinese food but i allways have the same dish every time i order,well as long as its got chillis in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I like "chinese" food(though it's not what they really eat) but I always get the same thing - breast of chicken curry with fried rice, extra portion of curry sauce, side order of chips and egg fried noodles.
    I usually get it from the Zen in rathmines but lately the quality has deteriorated.Well, that's when it's delivered. When you go into the restaurant for dinner the food is excellent, as is the service.
    Saying that though I've gotten awful fond of dominos and godfathers pizza lately so haven't been getting chinese as often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭Doodah7

It's interesting that most people seem to order a curry when they go to a Chinese. Interesting in the fact that a curry is predominantly an Indian dish. While Chinese cooking includes curry, it would not be a major dish eaten there.

Have a look here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

But a chinese curry is really nice. Dunno why, but just get curry, chips and chicken balls, and you're laughing.

I love cooking chinese food though. Once you've invested in things like a good wok, xiao xing wine (forgive the spelling) and sesame oil, you'll find that your standard of cooking increases dramatically. I have a copy of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1740450329/qid=1129904608/sr=1-21/ref=sr_1_2_21/202-7734989-3195835
    book at home which is full of great recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭SpongeBob2000

Is it weired if Chinese order chinese food from takeaway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Saruman wrote:

Try Charlies in town

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Currys in Chineses sigh...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rb_ie wrote:
    I like "chinese" food(though it's not what they really eat)
    so what do you think they eat?
    I always hear this "its nothing like what you get in china"
    But many dishes are quite similar. I have been there a few times now, and taken out by companies for traditional meals, many are quite similar to what you get in a chinese, better quality, but they were high class resturaunts. One guy loved hot foods, I was telling him of how curry is sold in chinese resturaunts in Ireland and if there were many indian resturaunts there. He said he never heard of any and though he loved hot spicy food had NEVER tried curry before. Never saw it on a single menu there. This was in an industrial zone, no tourists at all, so it was "real" chinese food, went into a few local cheap cafe places that were good too.

The difference I saw was the lack of thickened sauces, though a girl told me in other provinces they do have thicker sauces. Most of the food was hotter/spicier versions but since it wasnt a thick sauce you could choose not to wolf down peppers. I had a few chow meins which were the same as at home. Had dim sum for breakfast and sometimes noodles. Rice at lunch and dinner, almost always just boiled, they though it amusing that I would put soy sauce on it, or mix it in with other dishes, none of them do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

God I love chinese food, would eat it everyday if I was given the chance.

I love anything with green pepper and black bean sauce. have to say the curry from takeaways don't appeal to me. I like something with thats been wokked with a bit of bite etc. Also love Kung Po and the Spicy stuff (what ya call it?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I can't understand the fascination Irish people have with Chinese "curry". Do yourself's a favour and go get a proper Indian curry. Anyone who thinks a Chinese curry is nicer should have their taste buds exracted because they don't deserve them.

Advertisement