Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Flying Spagetti Monster that is God

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Jack Lynch wrote:
    Forget Flying Spaghetti Monsterism and all those others. Wikipedia is my God
    Slightly delayed, but I agree with this man. Wiki ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

Raphael wrote:
    Slightly delayed, but I agree with this man. Wiki ftw

Yes, a man. That's me he was on about. Me being a man and all. With all those manly associations.

You should look up Wikipedia's article on Wikipedia. It's like looking through a telescope and seeing the back of your head. Well, not so much.

I know about the cube as well, by the way.

Jack Lynch wrote:
    It's like looking through a telescope and seeing the back of your head. Well, not so much.

Incidentally, at a certain distance just inside the event horizon of a black hole you can do just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

Unfortunately, you'll never be able to tell anyone about it...

And once the cheese sandwiches run out in there... *shivers*

Indeed, unless you can travel just a teeny bit faster than the speed of light

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Darkwing Duck

The Cult of the Spoon brings back memories...ones I thought (and prayed) long buried....

Oh the pain.........

If you travel faster then the speed of light, wont you become pure energy?

I may be wrong. I got that bit of information from a cartoon fish who was turning into a man.

It's not possible to travel faster than the speed of light. Cept by a quantum leap.

Note: As science progresses, the above may be proved wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

What is this quantum leap of which you speak? Explain or be burned.

It's where all the particles in your body simultaneusly(sp?) decide they want to be somewhere else. It's possible, but ridiculously improbable

• Advertisement

If you hit the speed of light, you'd encounter a specific singularity. ie., we have no idea what happens. But yes, pure energy's what most people seem to think. Maybe they threw dice to decide... 1 means pure energy, 4 is you turn into a frog, 6 is roll again...

sexeh dice... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭LordCran

Out of interest, besides Daithi and myself, who else knows of the Cube we speak of?
    Well, it was in Dave's window, with a GIANT sign pointing to it. The only way you could have missed it would be if you looking the other way in protest at Dom's crap cereal box one. But, yes, I knew of it. I also witnessed the unveiling of the original pyramid. In fact, I may have been the first, other than Dave and Kevin, to see it. I saw Dave putting up a sign in his window, stood there staring for a few seconds, looked at where the arrow was pointing, and witnessed its splendour. I then ran around like the lunatic I clearly am, shouting "look at that!" for a few minutes. Happy days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

No we don't mean the most admirable graven image of The Cube. We mean
    THE Cube!!!

Well how do you expect people to know whether or not they know what you're on about if you don't tell them what you're on about?
    Wikipedia wrote:
    "Faster-than-light" observations and experiments
    It has long been known theoretically that it is possible for the group velocity of light to exceed c. One recent experiment made the group velocity of laser beams travel for extremely short distances through caesium atoms at 300 times c. However, it is not possible to use this technique to transfer information faster than c: the velocity of information transfer depends on the front velocity (the speed at which the first rise of a pulse above zero moves forward) and the product of the group velocity and the front velocity is equal to the square of the normal speed of light in the material.

Exceeding the group velocity of light in this manner is comparable to exceeding the speed of sound by arranging people in a distantly spaced line, and asking them all to shout "I'm here!", one after another with short intervals, each one timing it by looking at their own wristwatch so they don't have to wait until they hear the previous person shouting.

The speed of light may also appear to be exceeded in some phenomena involving evanescent waves, such as tunnelling. Experiments indicate that the phase velocity of evanescent waves may exceed c; however, it would appear that neither the group velocity nor the front velocity exceed c, so, again, it is not possible for information to be transmitted faster than c.

In some interpretations of quantum mechanics, quantum effects may be transmitted at speeds greater than c (indeed, action at a distance has long been perceived as a problem with quantum mechanics: see EPR paradox). For example, the quantum states of two particles can be entangled, so the state of one particle fixes the state of the other particle (say, one must have spin +½ and the other must have spin −½). Until the particles are observed, they exist in a superposition of two quantum states, (+½, −½) and (−½, +½). If the particles are separated and one of them is observed to determine its quantum state then the quantum state of the second particle is determined automatically. If, as in some interpretations of quantum mechanics, one presumes that the information about the quantum state is local to one particle, then one must conclude that second particle takes up its quantum state instantaneously, as soon as the first observation is carried out. However, it is impossible to control which quantum state the first particle will take on when it is observed, so no information can be transmitted in this manner. The laws of physics also appear to prevent information from being transferred through more clever ways and this has led to the formulation of rules such as the no-cloning theorem.

So-called superluminal motion is also seen in certain astronomical objects, such as the jets of radio galaxies and quasars. However, these jets are not actually moving at speeds in excess of the speed of light: the apparent superluminal motion is a projection effect caused by objects moving near the speed of light and at a small angle to the line of sight.

Although it may sound paradoxical, it is possible for shock waves to be formed with electromagnetic radiation. As a charged particle travels through an insulating medium, it disrupts the local electromagnetic field in the medium. Electrons in the atoms of the medium will be displaced and polarised by the passing field of the charged particle, and photons are emitted as the electrons in the medium restore themselves to equilibrium after the disruption has passed. (In a conductor, the disruption can be restored without emitting a photon.) In normal circumstances, these photons destructively interfere with each other and no radiation is detected. However, if the disruption travels faster than the photons themselves travel, the photons constructively interfere and intensify the observed radiation. The result (analogous to a sonic boom) is known as Cherenkov radiation.

The ability to communicate or travel faster-than-light is a popular topic in science fiction. Particles that travel faster than light, dubbed tachyons, have been proposed by particle physicists but have yet to be observed.

Some physicists, notably João Magueijo and John Moffat, have proposed that in the past light travelled much faster than the current speed of light. This theory is called variable speed of light (VSL) and its supporters claim that it has the ability to explain many cosmological puzzles better than its rival, the inflation model of the universe. However, it has yet to gain wide acceptance.

If you roll the 'Speed of Light' die and get something that says 'goes back three spaces', does that defeat the purpose?

Oh, you just end up at 'Ate evidence of tachyons for breakfast. Miss a turn.'

Oh. Well that's all right then. If only there was a place to buy such a die...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

Jack Lynch wrote:
    Well how do you expect people to know whether or not they know what you're on about if you don't tell them what you're on about?
    Because if they truely know about it, they'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Fair enough. In that case, I dont know what you're on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭LordCran

Jack Lynch wrote:
    Oh. Well that's all right then. If only there was a place to buy such a die...
    He speaks the truth. We must found such an establishment! And by "we", I mean someone less lazy than me, with occasional half-hearted encouragement from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Raphael wrote:
    It's where all the particles in your body simultaneusly(sp?) decide they want to be somewhere else. It's possible, but ridiculously improbable

Wait a sec, decide?

• Advertisement

Yeah, they actually talk to each other at a speed faster than light. That's why we can't 'hear' them.

I kid you not.

Does that mean that when you talk, it's millions of your particles deciding to say the same thing at once?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

So everytime I speak it's something amazing and improbable? So next time a teacher tells me shut up I should tell them that what I'm *actually* doing is a very improbably mircaulous thing and that they should stfu and listen? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

It's worth a try. What's the worst that could happen?

Answer: detention and/or suspension if you use stfu when talking to him/her and/or repeatedly doing it.

Advertisement