Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need a new gas boiler

• 16-10-2005 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Just found the gas central heathing boiler leaking water earlier and discovered its badly rusted in parts. It is an old one, so it was only a matter of time.

So now I need to replace it asap, but no idea of what price I should be paying for one. The system is drained (had been fixing a leak in a pipe) and ready for install.

It powers 10 radiators and I think I'll need 80BTW.

Just want the boiler replaced at a good price.

Any advice, idea of cost, any recommendations of suppliers :confused: in the Dun Laoghaire area?

Thanks

Redman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Rathmines Gas (01-4973588) stuck a flyer in our door (Ballinteer) for a special offer for €1,950 to replace existing boiler with new Baxi boiler, new pump & timer, including flushing & cleansing, testing and balancing.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Rainy Day

Thanks a lot for that, previous posts have been removed (I presume due to the update to boards.ie )

In fact Rathmines have already quoted but their quote (wasn't €1950) was a good bit more that another Bord Gais supplier.

Redman

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Prices for replacement boilers seem to be more expensive here than in other European countries(shock horror gasp). A mate of mine got a Ravenheat condensing boiler and flue for under 700 euro from B&Q, Luckily he knew a chap who fited them, so he got it all sorted for around the grand mark.

Maybe that's the way to go. Get the boiler yourself and then ring around for someone to fit it. Before my friend got the guy to fit his, he had rung around and found the price to vary widely. Some even told him that the ravenheat boiler he had bought wouldn't work or was really bad quality and may be problematic in the future(both untrue of course). Basic scare tactics to get him to stump up the over inflated prices for one of their boilers.

You'll find that in Britain you can get a replacement combi boiler installation(which seem much more complicated) for around the same money as the rathmines gas lot(not just them either) wanted for a essentially a straight swap.

Some of the prices I've heard quoted for replacement and other boiler services have been crazy and inconsistent. One guy I know was quoted 1200 euro just to move an existing boiler 3 ft. Given that it was on the same wall and the new flue vent had already been opened, all they had to do was re hang it and add the extra piping to the existing pipework. Nice work if you can get it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I recently had to replace my boiler and as it was a last minute thing (last thing to sort out before we moved in) I didn't do as much research on it as I'd like and went with a normal gas system boiler though I can't shake the feeling I shouldve gone gas condensing system boiler.

It seems Irish plumbers and plumbing suppliers are totally ignorant about the benefits of condensing boilers and so try discourage you from buying them even though they'll save you money in the long run. Prices for condensers were over 1.5 times the price of non-condensers. We plan in moving in about 5 years but anything over that and the condenser would definitely pay for itself.

In the end I got a Glowworm 100,000 BTU gas system boiler from C&F Quadrant for €715 inc vat as my mate has a contact there. Have to say the B&Q prices is excellent and I'd be interesting to hear how that lad gets on with it, though I imagine its all British sized piping. Thats not actually that big a deal especially if the plumber is a mate who'll gladly sort it all out (in a day max) rather than making a mountain out of the molehill that this issue really is. And I imagine B&Q issue a warranty so I wouldn't be unduly concerned or listen to the scaremongering that most plumbers would come out with ("B&Q gear is pure muck", sometimes true, but sometimes means "B&Q gear uses non-standard sizes and I don't want the hassle of adapting it all").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

FrankGrimes, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. I’ve followed your posts and you have now gone through 2 plumbers and are now pontificating to all about boilers.

Fact. I first installed condensing boilers in 1990. By 1992 they were replaced because of the amount of problems within them. I have never touched them since. Nobody knows how to service them, or to diagnose and repair minor faults. That’s my opinion on the matter and until they become more mainstream I will not touch one again.

And by the way glowworm boilers are pure dirt, if you had done your research properly you would not have touched one. Same goes for that crap that B & Q sells.

For a balanced opinion on condensing boilers look here.

• Advertisement

The cheapest quote I have got is €2950 for 80kBTU and includes putting in a new flue (old one is too small).

Any opinions on the Glowworm Hideaway brand? It is from an official Bord Gais referred supplier and the Sedbuk rating seems good (78%). Non Condensing model.

Curiour why are glowworm boilers dirt in your opinion pipers?

pipers wrote:
    FrankGrimes, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. I’ve followed your posts and you have now gone through 2 plumbers and are now pontificating to all about boilers.

Have to say I don't like the tone of your post at all - how is the above helpful or relevant?

Your point that there are downsides to condensing boilers is very valid, but the main point I was trying to get across to the OP is that condensing boilers is that they are most definitely at least worth considering, though I fear they wouldn't even be given consideration if the OP goes on the advice of the average Irish plumber. Believe it or not, the plumber I had actually said “What’s the point of it though? They’re a waste of money”, which betrays a total ignorance of the principal that the increased efficiency (over 10% more efficient than normal boilers) of condensing boilers will save on running costs, which someone like the OP may consider outweighs the negatives, especially when the recent predictions that energy costs will double in the next 5 years is taken into consideration. The longer you plan on having the boiler the more weight should be given to the increased efficiency.

If I was the OP I wouldn’t take my advice on face value, but would regard it as an avenue which I should explore further before coming to my own conclusions. I certainly would not base my judgement on the views of someone who had a problem with a condensing boiler 13 years ago and has ignored them ever since. There have been major advancements in condensing boiler technologies in the past five years.

Check out this post for a lot of valid pro-condensing points.

Based on the advice that my mate who works for a major developer (and got me the very competitive price) got from their plumbing consultant it seems that Glowworm boilers have a similar number of issues to other boilers (though he indicated they are straightforward to repair) and therefore the 30 – 40% higher price for Vokera or Ferrolli boilers was not justified.

As for the B&Q products – if the guy gets a good few years out of it at that price, even if it requires regular servicing along the way it may well be a sound investment. For a lot of people its not a question of simply finding the ‘Best’ product, but the one that represents ‘Best value for money’.

In my experience a lot of tradesmen allow one bad incident to disproportionately influence their judgement of a product or building practice and so I would encourage the OP to find as many opinions as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

pipers wrote:
    Fact. I first installed condensing boilers in 1990. By 1992 they were replaced because of the amount of problems within them. I have never touched them since. Nobody knows how to service them, or to diagnose and repair minor faults. That’s my opinion on the matter and until they become more mainstream I will not touch one again.

I'm replacing an old oil boiler at the moment and considering a condenser, do you think they have made enough progress with them to make them 'reliable' now, or do you think that another few years is necessary?
    pipers wrote:
    And by the way glowworm boilers are pure dirt, if you had done your research properly you would not have touched one. Same goes for that crap that B & Q sells.

What manufacturer would you recommend for 100kBTU system boilers?

Thanks,
    LK

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

pipers wrote:
    Your first two sentences are fact the rest is opinion. Opinion that seems based on an experience of the breed from 13yrs ago. Answer me this, if nobody knows how to service them, surely that's the fault of the installers not the boilers. If people who are supposed to service boilers don't keep up with a near 20yr old technology who's at fault? Do you not think that the technology has changed since 1990? If you call out a PC repairman and he says well I don't know how to repair windows, but my DOS skills are great. You'd throw him out of the house. I suppose I'll dig a firepit in the garden then. Bulletproof technology that.:rolleyes:
    The "crap" that B&Q sells seems to have won enough awards from their peers to suggest that you're at the very least illinformed. In addition, the fact that a corporation as large and open to litigation as B&Q decide to stock and warranty the ravenheat range should give some idea of quality.
    For a balanced opinion on condensing boilers look here.
    I did look and all I can see is a few niggles from some, no problems from others and a lack of government data pertaining to condensing boilers as a whole. Oh yes and the observation that some plumbers won't touch them. The "not invented here", "not sold by us" and the "oh it's new and complicated syndromes" ahoy.

I find it interesting that you made no mention of the over the top charges levelled by many in the boiler trade. If you say that most won't touch a condensing boiler, that means that they're installing a standard boiler and charging well over the odds for doing so. Given that a condensing boiler is more expensive than a non condensing model, how do they justify the price disparity between here and other EU countries?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That's a great point on the computers comparison Wibbs. There does seem to be a reluctance amongst some tradesmen to educate themselves on and embrace new technologies.

LeperKing - I think its safe to say that the majority of plumbers and suppliers in Ireland would recommned Vokera and Ferolli if you are talking about internal, wall mounted standard gas system boilers. Best price I could get on a 95,000 BTU Vokera was €1100 incl flue.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote:
    Answer me this, if nobody knows how to service them, surely that's the fault of the installers not the boilers. If people who are supposed to service boilers don't keep up with a near 20yr old technology who's at fault? Do you not think that the technology has changed since 1990?

The principle is the same as it was 15 years ago. Its not the installers fault, it’s the people who design, manufacture, import, distribute, market & merchant this technology. They shift this stuff without providing any level of support whatsoever.
    Wibbs wrote:
    The "crap" that B&Q sells seems to have won enough awards from their peers to suggest that you're at the very least ill-informed. In addition, the fact that a corporation as large and open to litigation as B&Q decide to stock and warranty the ravenheat range should give some idea of quality.

Anything I have seen or installed from B&Q is of poor quality. That’s a fact, be it sanitary ware or any heating items.
    Wibbs wrote:
    I find it interesting that you made no mention of the over the top charges levelled by many in the boiler trade. If you say that most won't touch a condensing boiler, that means that they're installing a standard boiler and charging well over the odds for doing so. Given that a condensing boiler is more expensive than a non condensing model, how do they justify the price disparity between here and other EU countries?

See above, everyone gets there cut + the vatman.
    Have to say I don't like the tone of your post at all - how is the above helpful or relevant?

Its my opinion. You asked for it. This is a discussion board.

Your point that there are downsides to condensing boilers is very valid, but the main point I was trying to get across to the OP is that condensing boilers is that they are most definitely at least worth considering, though I fear they wouldn't even be given consideration if the OP goes on the advice of the average Irish plumber. Believe it or not, the plumber I had actually said “What’s the point of it though? They’re a waste of money”, which betrays a total ignorance of the principal that the increased efficiency (over 10% more efficient than normal boilers) of condensing boilers will save on running costs, which someone like the OP may consider outweighs the negatives, especially when the recent predictions that energy costs will double in the next 5 years is taken into consideration. The longer you plan on having the boiler the more weight should be given to the increased efficiency.

It’s a similar argument to diesel and petrol vehicles, diesel costs more initially but the running costs are lower.
    Based on the advice that my mate who works for a major developer (and got me the very competitive price) got from their plumbing consultant it seems that Glowworm boilers have a similar number of issues to other boilers (though he indicated they are straightforward to repair) and therefore the 30 – 40% higher price for Vokera or Ferrolli boilers was not justified.

My experience is in installation and maintaince of all aspects of heating and plumbing.
    Your mate has probably never had to maintain anything. You get what you pay for.
    As for the B&Q products – if the guy gets a good few years out of it at that price, even if it requires regular servicing along the way it may well be a sound investment. For a lot of people its not a question of simply finding the ‘Best’ product, but the one that represents ‘Best value for money’.

When you start getting three to four hundred euro bills to replace components for crap quality boilers you will then understand value for money. See above.
    In my experience a lot of tradesmen allow one bad incident to disproportionately influence their judgement of a product or building practice and so I would encourage the OP to find as many opinions as possible.

In my experience, its people like you that give tradesmen a bad name.
    Leperking wrote:
    I'm replacing an old oil boiler at the moment and considering a condenser, do you think they have made enough progress with them to make them 'reliable' now, or do you think that another few years is necessary?

Are you considering an oil fired condensing boiler?
    Leperking wrote:
    What manufacturer would you recommend for 100kBTU system boilers?

I would not fit a system boiler to an existing heating system unless it has a cast iron heat exchanger. As far as I know nobody yet sells on the Irish market.
    redman wrote:
    Curiour why are glowworm boilers dirt in your opinion pipers?

Unreliable, extremely difficult to gain internal access to replace components. They tend to disintegrate over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Pipers,

I leftout that I intend to changeover to gas. A bord gais installer recommended a gas gloworm system 100kBTU boiler.

LK

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Pipers,

Just a little note Petrol v diesel, people used to say diesels needed weigh more maintenance and a shorter service interval, not so now similar and in some cases longer service intervals than their petrol compadres i.e. Technology evolves. you say you have not touched condensers for 15 years maybe you should take another look (I accept that you may well be keeping your finger on the pulse and be aware of the technology even if you dont install em). Just a thought I aint a plumber but it does seem a little odd to disparage something you dont use or have not used for years.

eddiej

pipers wrote:
    The principle is the same as it was 15 years ago. Its not the installers fault, it’s the people who design, manufacture, import, distribute, market & merchant this technology. They shift this stuff without providing any level of support whatsoever.
    That part I understand re the backup, but as for the principle being the same. The internal combustion engines "principle" hasn't changed in over 100yrs. Does this mean that a mechanic would suggest that there hasn't been any iimprovement in engine technology since 1990? If you had installed these type of boilers in the last 2 or 3 yrs, you might have a better case.
    Anything I have seen or installed from B&Q is of poor quality. That’s a fact, be it sanitary ware or any heating items.
    Yet they also supply brands such as Bosch etc. Here's a couple of reviews of one of the boilers B&Q sells http://www.centralheatingonline.co.uk/cho_boilers.htm

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Ravenheat_Condensing_Combi_Boiler__Review_5338202

See above, everyone gets there cut + the vatman.
    Doesn't explain the whole of the difference in price. Especially when two different suppliers can give wildly differing quotes.
    Why, by suggesting he shop around and research more?
    I would not fit a system boiler to an existing heating system unless it has a cast iron heat exchanger. As far as I know nobody yet sells on the Irish market.
    Surely a stainless steel one would be even better?
    Unreliable, extremely difficult to gain internal access to replace components. They tend to disintegrate over time.
    Do a quick Google on tham and you find many swear by them. That's the problem. I agree with FrankGrimes when he suggests shopping around and doing your research. I would also add that the quality of the installation has a big effect on how long any component lasts. Especially something like a boiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

pipers wrote:

Its my opinion.

My experience is in
    Your mate has probably

In my experience,
    I would not fit a
    As far as I know

They tend to disintegrate over time.
    FWIW, adding the word "fact" doesnt make it one.
    Everything else is your biased opinion.
    In B&Q and most other retailers you get what you pay for, saying that B&Q are crap is a bit pathetic tbh.

The above is my professional experience, not a biased opinion.

Bord Gais are marketing condensing boilers(23% more efficient) in order to conceal the recent gas price hike (25%).

When i refer to B & Q's products i compare them to quality brands.

Wow this is a hot one!

Anyhow thanks to all for their comments.

On the condensing, I intend to extend the house (hopefully) in about 10 years and want the boiler to last this long and would change then to handle the new space and put it in a new location. Currently my gas bill is averaging €65 a month/€780 p.a. Thus if I saved 20% p.a. it would be €156 which doesn't seem enough to justify the condensing variety.

Has anyone else got any personal experience of Glowworm Hideaway boilers?

If pipers is correct with the quality I am surprised that Bord Gais are promoting them. Seems daft for them to sell crap product as they have to maintain them.

Cheers

Redman:(

Bord Gais dont sell boilers or maintain them.
    They sell gas.

Has anyone else besides Pipers got any personal experience of Glowworm Hideaway boilers?

redman wrote:
    If pipers is correct with the quality I am surprised that Bord Gais are promoting them. Seems daft for them to sell crap product as they have to maintain them.
    I wouldn't be that surprised with bord gais tbh. As Pipers says it's people like him that get the headaches when something goes wrong.

A quick google on the glow worm boiler indicates that the hideaway has a cast iron heat exchanger. So that's a point in it's favour as Piper reckons it's the way to go. http://www.inspiredheating.co.uk/acatalog/GLOW_WORM_FLOOR_STANDING_BOILERS.html

If you follow that link further you'll find the UK prices. http://www.inspiredheating.co.uk/acatalog/HIDEAWAY_BALANCED_FLUE.html An 80BTU model costs 700sterling(ex VAT) which translates to around a 1200/1400 inc VAT(retail) and flue Kit. I see you were quoted 2900 for the install. It would be interesting to see what prices the fitters are getting that boiler for here. Though it wouldn't surprise me that they're getting hit as bad as the end user. I've seen similar in other industries, where the Irish trade price is equal to the UK retail.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Wibbs, I estimate that €500 of it is for the new flue/cowl.

Redman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

condensers are law in the uk now. 500 for a flue is too much more like 150 max.
    prices are a little steep, i wonder how difficult it is to diy install a decent boiler like valliant or worsester. shouldnt cost more than 1500 including delivery to ireland for boiler,flue and digi timer and pump.

DIY sounds great and there's plenty of stuff I'd have a go at against my better judgement, but a gas boiler is not one of them. Put it this way I hope your not a smoker.....:D

You could save a few bob by actually mounting the boiler in position, but that would only really apply if you were mounting the new one in a different position to the old. You could also open the flue hole if that was the case. After that the experts could come in and install the pipework properly. The flue price may include opening out the existing hole or opening a new one. If it's going through your roof vertically, it's better it's done right as leaks are a possiblity. Also the vertical ones are a little more pricey. Still it does sound steep if its for the standard horizontal flue.

Wibbs wrote:
    DIY sounds great and there's plenty of stuff I'd have a go at against my better judgement, but a gas boiler is not one of them. Put it this way I hope your not a smoker.....:D

You could save a few bob by actually mounting the boiler in position, but that would only really apply if you were mounting the new one in a different position to the old. You could also open the flue hole if that was the case. After that the experts could come in and install the pipework properly. The flue price may include opening out the existing hole or opening a new one. If it's going through your roof vertically, it's better it's done right as leaks are a possiblity. Also the vertical ones are a little more pricey. Still it does sound steep if its for the standard horizontal flue.

def need to turn off the gas outside at the meter and after that you would definately need a sniffer. but i dont think its rocket science if the pipes are there.http://www.einstrumentsgroup.com/hvac/products.php?app=detect
    that should do it.

The current flue is too small (4") and runs up a disused chimeny (from an old fireplace in the kitchen).

So the €500 is the new 6" (I think) flue and extra labour involved with fitting it up the chimney etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

You asked if anyone had bad experiences with Gloworm ?

Yes, two fairly recently, looks like my brother needs Frank Grimes "mate" since the board on a fairly small Gloworm was costing almost €900.00, the replacemebt boiler was cheaper.

Another was a customer who had bought the house only to find the boiler didn't work, when his Solicitor asked the vendors Solicitor if they could shed any light on the subject the vendor produced the receipt for the boiler and the 5 / 6 yellow sheets for the warranty call outs in the first year.

Would I recommend Gloworm ? no.

Thanks for that Peter

pipers wrote:

In my opinion, its the tradesmen whos actions caused me to form my opinion that give tradesmen a bad name.

The point that condensing boilers are now law in UK is a very interesting one as I seriously doubt that they would be made law if they were unreliable or too difficult to service. So I guess Irish plumbers will just have to get up to speed on them, as it would be an awful shame if Irish plumbers took a conservative stance on this which would allow an enterprising UK plumbing firm to come in and wrap up the condensing boiler installation and maintenance market. I believe that as energy prices get higher and people become more environmentally conscious the demand for condensing boilers will rise to such a degree that they become the norm here. I'd like to see Irish plumbers take the initiative on this rather than reacting to the threat posed when some UK form inevitably identies this oppurtunity.

RooferPete generally gives good balance advice so I would take his point that Glowworm do not seem to be the most reliable boilers (though just like Alfa Romeos it doesnt mean that every product will be faulty - just that the likelihood of a fault occuring is higher than usual). For me, the discounted price I got means I'd still go with it even with this knowledge, but unless you have a similar incentive it does seem best to stay away.

RooferPete - my mate told his C&F contact this boiler was for him to get the price as a personal favour so I can't use that option again. However, another mate used to work in Smallman's in Ranelagh and used get me great prices on gear, though their prices on boilers wasn't that great it might be worth a look: Vokera 85k or 90k BTU (can't remember which) came to €1038 with a balanced horizontal flue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Frank,

I just read my post again, I must say if you had taken that remark as personally as it looks you would have every right to request that I be banned from Boards.

I can assure you it was not meant as a personal attack on you or your source ("mate"), sincerest apologies and thank you for being the gentleman as always in your reply.

Yours Sincerely,

Peter Crawley,

AKA Rooferpete.

• Advertisement

No offence taken Peter - I thought it would've been a bit too out of character for it to have been meant in a negative context so no worries about that ;)

I just hope that my Glowworm boiler proves to be an exception and doesn't give me any hassle :)

As it is my plumbing woes continue - boiler wouldn't start this morning as pressure had dropped to 0.5 bar - and I just thought I'd sorted the last of the two plumbers' leaks (a whopping 4 in total on heating system alone which may give some insight into why main guy still hasn't come looking for his money!). Anyways its time for some Sentinel Leak Seal tomorrow methinks so fingers crossed!

Anyways its time for some Sentinel Leak Seal tomorrow methinks so fingers crossed!

that will definately screw up your boiler from what i hear...
    weve just had a condensing worcester bosch greenstar 24 ri installed yesterday for 3490 including vat but +the 250 bordgais connection charge.
    hopefully it will provide 10 years of reliable service, he left the diagnostic manual with me at my request, and the old pump and timer so at least i can repair it or give it a shot if it breaks.
    seems like a top notch boiler to me. i remember when i worked in hull in yorkshire b4 that a plumber said dentistry and plumbing were the same. but there was alot more money in one than the other.
    tbh im not so sure, i mean gas connections have 10 teams, the cost of the stuff was no more than 1500 euro. and it took 2 men 5 hours to complete it comfortably. that eqates to essentially 2000 euros including VAT 'profit' for 10 man hours of work. if they have 10 teams thats 20 grand a day less vat, labour and expenses, and downtime
    i think some plumbers are making millions:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Koolaboola

Can anyone please give me a guideline price to replace and install a Radiant 60,000 wall mounted system boiler, and to flush and cleanse the system?
    My old boiler bit the dust and this is an exact replacement.
    I live in Dublin 14 and have a quote of E1,850.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Koolaboola wrote: »
    Can anyone please give me a guideline price to replace and install a Radiant 60,000 wall mounted system boiler, and to flush and cleanse the system?
    My old boiler bit the dust and this is an exact replacement.
    I live in Dublin 14 and have a quote of E1,850.

If the boiler that they are fitting is not more than 86% efficient ("B" Rated or better) this is against the building regs.

Building Regulations 2007 Boiler Efficiency Requirement

Under the revised Building Regulations Part L (S.I. No. 854 of 2007):
    After the 31st day of March 2008, oil and gas fired boilers in new dwellings must meet a minimum seasonal net efficiency of 86% and where oil and gas fired boilers are being installed as replacements in existing dwellings, those boilers must meet a minimum seasonal net efficiency of 86% where practicable.

If you can prove (very difficult!!) that it would be too difficult or expensive to fit a condensing boiler then you can fit a lesser efficient boiler but I would go for the best and most efficient you can.
    Are you aware of the grants available for replacement boilers at the moment?? See www.sei.ie.hes for details!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

there is a plumber on the web called cheap dublin plumber he is fitting mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭chsdeddijj

Currently without heating.
    Looking for help regarding the best replacement gas boiler to buy for a 2 bed house with 4 normal size rads and 1 small in bathroom.
    Having read some of what's written here I am now concerned about condensed boilers.
    Prices and advise vary. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

chsdeddijj wrote: »
    Currently without heating.
    Looking for help regarding the best replacement gas boiler to buy for a 2 bed house with 4 normal size rads and 1 small in bathroom.
    Having read some of what's written here I am now concerned about condensed boilers.
    Prices and advise vary. Thanks

I’d imagine concerns may have been rectified over the last 10 to 13 years though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭chsdeddijj

Is ideal brand a good replacement gas boiler?
    I've been quoted €1999 for a 24kw . thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

chsdeddijj wrote: »
    Is ideal brand a good replacement gas boiler?
    I've been quoted €1999 for a 24kw . thanks

24KW seems way oversized for your house, 5 Rads + cylinder x 2KW each would be 12KW, so even a 15KW boiler might be oversize depending on how insulated your house is.

Nearly all boilers are condensing, not sure you can buy a non-condensing one.

Not all boilers are combi's (heat water and rads).

You want a boiler that is capable of modulating down its heat output once the property is at temperature, this will prevent the boiler cycling on/off every few minutes, which was a problem with older boilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

We just had our gas boiler replaced by Oil and Gas services , ogs.ie . Brilliant service and did everything that they said they would do. Turned up on time and were neat and tidy, good price to.

Advertisement