Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD TV above Fireplace?

Options
  • 16-10-2005 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Having some building work done in the sitting room comprising of a new small Stanley solid fuel stove being installed.

Was thinking of putting the 32" LCD on the wall above it as it would save alot of ground space.

The stove will be lit once a day but kept going just enough to heat the room up,so was wondering would the TV be effected by heat if it was above the stove?We're talking about a good half metre above the stove.Does anybody have this done themselves?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Hmm, I have plans to do this myself when I get around to buying the TV!

Apparently its ok to mount over a fireplace, the temperature in the region of the screen should not exceed 90F (check with a thermometer). A mantlepiece over the stove might help to deflect some of the heat away.

You may need a bracket to allow you to tilt the screen downwards slightly to allow for easier viewing. Try and keep the screen at about eye level when sitting if possible.

Check out http://www.avforums.com for more info.

Godd luck with the install ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I bought a wall bracket to hang up an LCD TV in Dixons in Limerick. The sales guy specifically said "Don't hang it up over the fireplace". Now as there's no fireplace in my room I just said "Alright" and didnt ask "why?" :rolleyes:

So I'd recommend that you check it out a bit further before proceeding with hanging it over the fireplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

I would be reluctant to hang a tv over a fireplace because of smoke emissions. I am sure over a period of time this could cause damage to the internal components of a set. If it was a natural gas fireplace where emissions are minimal yes but a solid fuel fire no. Thats my tuppence worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

I too wouldnt dream of doing this as well both for the chance that it might cause damage to the screen also because ill be looking up at the tv the whole time

The ideal viewing angle apparently is your eyeline 1/3 to 2/3 up the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Yeah valid point about the viewing angle,that is one of the concerns.

However,the fireplace houses a small closed stove,with a flue behind a brick wall,as opposed to an open fire.

Might need to give it a miss due to the height factor

Cheers for the info chaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Might need to give it a miss due to the height factor

This more than anything would put me off. You do see it a lot on 'designer' style apartments etc on telly but it would wreck my head leaning back to watch tv like that.

Advertisement