Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom price dispute delays launch of DSL

Options
  • 16-09-2001 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

I have typed in the following article from this Sunday's Sunday Times. Now my fingers hurt. :)

Alfie Kane has said that: "We will not be reviewing our prices because they are fair and reasonable and reflect the substantial investment we are making in bringing broadband services to Ireland."

Note to Bard: if you still need some web space for IrelandOffline files, no matter how large, email me on uw@avara.net and I'd be glad to help.

Eircom has refused to lower the price of its broadband services, threatening to delay the introduction of the advanced services such as highspeed Internet access and video on demand.

Alfie Kane, the chief executive of Eircom, has told Etain Doyle, the telecoms regulator, that the prices it wants to charge competitors for access to the broadband network are fair and reasonable.

Doyle had directed Eircom on Thursday to review the cost to competitors for access to the broadband network.

The stand-off now threatens the introduction of the services necessary for Ireland's development as a technology hub. The launch of broadband services, which was to take place on October 2, will not now go ahead.

It is understood that the Department of Public Enterprise, which sees the introduction of broadband technology as essential if Ireland is to become a technology hub, is sympathetic to Eircom but is not in a position to intervene in the dispute.

Kane said this weekend: "Our DSL-based [digital subscriber line] broadband services are priced on a cost-orientated basis fully in line with our obligations.

"The price structure includes an adequate margin across the portfolio of DSL offerings. We will not be reviewing our prices because they are fair and reasonable and reflect the substantial investment we are making in bringing broadband services to Ireland."

Doyle has disputed Kane's claim that the price Eircom charges competitors is cost-based. In a statement she said: "Eircom must set charges which are cost-orientated and non-discriminatory and the regulator has again reminded Eircom of its obligations as a regulated company.

"It is up to Eircom to deal with this matter in accordance with directions issued on Thursday."

However, Kane has made it clear that Eircom has no intention of dealing with the matter.

This is the second telecoms advance which has been delayed because of a stand-off involving Doyle.

Her Ofifice has confirmed that it will not be able to meet the EU's January 2002 deadline for the issuing of 3G licences in Ireland because the ODTR and the Department of Finance cannot agree on a price for the licences, of which there are three classes.

Critics say that the longer the delay in awarding the Irhs 3G licences, the greater the opportunity for foreign companies to move in before local providers have a chance to develop products and services to offer domestic 3G operators.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Bit late now, but you really didn't have to type all that in

http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/09/16/stibuibui01005.html

(same article)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

sceptre, with the cost of accessing the Internet at the moment, I can not afford to check the Sunday Times web site before typing something in. :(

Seriously though, next time I will check their web site FIRST. Damnit I'm stupid. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭E-Hub

"It is understood that the Department of Public Enterprise, which sees the introduction of broadband technology as essential if Ireland is to become a technology hub, is sympathetic to Eircom but is not in a position to intervene in the dispute. "

this scares me, dont they realize adsl means nothing, and will have zeor effect on penetration, unless the prices are fair, they are settign the odtr up as the bad guy, no wonder she has no teath,

i think we shoould send her an offical letter of support for this action. As at least its beening delayed for a good reason this time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I don't understand the reference to the DPE - this article is putting more Eircom spin on it by placing the blame for the delay on the ODTR. I'd support any action on this board as regards a boycott of Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    sceptre, with the cost of accessing the Internet at the moment, I can not afford to check the Sunday Times web site before typing something in. :(

Seriously though, next time I will check their web site FIRST. Damnit I'm stupid. :D

Forgot a bit in my post: thanks for posting the info, interesting read

(I'm used to grabbing whole sections in the ST in multiple windows for offline reading - they put the whole paper except for the TV listings online - I usually forget to pick the paper up on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

ah for FU*K sake, this is really getting out of hand, does the government know just how much $hit is going on here ?? Do they realise just how much these delays are holding the country back ??

I can't help but feel that this was eircom's hidden agenda all along..... yet more delays on launching adsl and not allowing competitors in. The only thing that would get alfie off his furry little a$$ would be if there was some other fast internet access available.. eg NTL Cable. I never seemed to get a proper excuse of them on why they delayed adsl in february ??? *cough*

So what now ? September 28th... HA October 2nd... HAHAHA
    The ODTR and Eircom are in a dead lock at the moment, does this mean its going to be another court case ??? and while I'm at it, why the hell does it take so damn long for these court cases to come to anything ..???? I mean, what the hell happened to LLU ?

Advertisement