Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sludge/Stoner/Doom

• 16-10-2005 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Ahhh Boris. What a band...

You said it scratch, you said it. Maybe we need a sludge/doom/stoner thread?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

John2 wrote:
    You said it scratch, you said it. Maybe we need a sludge/doom/stoner thread?

Perhaps...

To my shame I still don't own a single Earth album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Perhaps...

To my shame I still don't own a single Earth album.

Earth 2 for classic Earth and the new one (Hex) for the new side of Earth. Both are great records but Earth 2 is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

John2 wrote:
    Maybe we need a sludge/doom/stoner thread?

And now you do. ;)

And now you do. ;)

Cheers Karl, I felt a bit guilty clogging up your death metal thread.

So who here dooms?

Alrighty.

I'm in a list-making mood so here's a list of what I would call essential sludge-y albums, limited to one per band.

Melvins - Gluey Porch Treatments
    Boris - Amplifier Worship
    Today is the Day - In the Eyes of God
    Eyehategod - Dopesick
    Sunn 0))) - White2
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid (Does that count?)

Also, dunno if it's Doom exactly but 'Filth' by Swans....yeah.

Beh.

• Advertisement

Alrighty.

I'm in a list-making mood so here's a list of what I would call essential sludge-y albums, limited to one per band.

Melvins - Gluey Porch Treatments
    Boris - Amplifier Worship
    Today is the Day - In the Eyes of God
    Eyehategod - Dopesick
    Sunn 0))) - White2
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid (Does that count?)

Also, dunno if it's Doom exactly but 'Filth' by Swans....yeah.

Beh.

Nice list. Swans may not be doom but I think they did enough for sludge and doom to deserve mentioning. As for the Melvins I think I'd pick the Lysol EP over Gluey Porch Treatments and possibly replace White2 by Sunn O))) with their new one which is just jaw droppingly good. I'd also add the following:
    Sun Plexus - Or Ou Ferraille? A Quelle Profondeur?
    Wolf Eyes - Burned Mind (probably more noise than metal but by **** it's good)

Also worth including for the doomier side of things:
    Thorr's Hammer - Dommedagsnatt
    Khanate - Things Viral
    Earth - Earth 2

And for the stoners:
    Sleep - Dopesmoker
    Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
    Isis - Panopticon
    Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun
    and some Monster Magnet

and I'm not quite sure where they fit in but I know they belong somewhere:
    Neurosis - Enemy of the Sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is Crowbar sludge metal?

I'm not that familiar with them but a quick listen from amazon... yes, they're pretty sludge in my opinion. They sound good actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

John2 wrote:
    I'm not that familiar with them but a quick listen from amazon... yes, they're pretty sludge in my opinion. They sound good actually.
    Aye. Saw them at Whelans a few weeks ago. There'll be an Irish sludge band coming out in the next few months called "Two Tales of Woe". One of their influences is Crowbar.

Are you in them by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

For Doom metal I heartidly endorse Mourning Beloveth, and Novembers Doom. Mourning Beloveth are from Cork I think, unbelievable band, saw them in Co.Laois (sp?). And everything done by Pelican (sludge) is also superb, managed to get my mitts on their full discography.

As for Neurosis, think they'd be sludge aswell, know a guy whos mad into them, and I finally ended up getting a few albums, very good band, sort of along similar lines to "Godspeed! You Black Emperor!". I have been meaning to get some Sunn 0))) for a while now, and particular album I should be looking for?

If you want something a bit, wierd, I cant recommend 'The Sins of Thy Beloved' enough, their symphonic doom metal, both a growling vocalist (not that great of growl, but respectable), and a soft female vocalist, shes unbelievable. They use a lot of classical instruments in their work too, very unusual final sound, but its simply brilliant, their still a very new band though, and only two full length albums (theres also 2 demo's and a live album), would recommend Lake of Sorrows as their best album.

Pugsley wrote:
    I have been meaning to get some Sunn 0))) for a while now, and particular album I should be looking for?

My reply was destroyed in the great upgrade botch of 2005. I recommend Flight of the Behemoth for classic Sunn O))) and their new one Black One for their best album yet.

Pugsley wrote:
    If you want something a bit, wierd, I cant recommend 'The Sins of Thy Beloved' enough, their symphonic doom metal, both a growling vocalist (not that great of growl, but respectable), and a soft female vocalist, shes unbelievable. They use a lot of classical instruments in their work too, very unusual final sound, but its simply brilliant, their still a very new band though, and only two full length albums (theres also 2 demo's and a live album), would recommend Lake of Sorrows as their best album.

I'll be checking this out, thanks.

For anyone interested my review of Earth's new album Hex is up on brainwashed.com now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Isis, Sunn 0))) , Boris and Pelican ,Old Man Gloom, Cult of Luna , and Converge.Tis the essentials.

I picked up Khanate's new album today. Good but nothing surprising. Pretty much sounds like it was done at the same time as Things Viral. Not that I'm really complaining. Two tracks, about twenty minutes each. The vocals are better than before. Can't wait to hear it live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

John2 wrote:
    Cheers Karl, I felt a bit guilty clogging up your death metal thread.

So who here dooms?
    I don't listen to a whole lot of doom, but Down and Crowbar are two of my favourite bands.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Was at the Ashes To Ashes Doom To Dust thing (I don't think it's really a festival, more of a tour) in Holland this year - it was insanity! Line up on the first night was The Plague of Gentlemen, Reverend Bizzare, Worship and Electric Wizard. Second gig (3rd of the festival, but day 2 was in Belgium and we didn't go) had Planet Aids and Esoteric added to the mix.

Plague of Gentlemen were very cool, my first time really hearing them. Reverend Bizzare were also excellent, again, my first time really listening to them. Worship were amazing. Couldn't get over it (it seems to be the brain-child of this weird german guy that looks like a Klingon - all the other musicians were in as session players). Planet Aids were awfully intense and a bit scary tbh! Esoteric warped my brain in an unforgetable, but barely concievable way. Wizard were Gods (and Goddess) of Doom Incarnate! It was something else. The drugs enhanced the experience considerably :p

As for other Doom gigs, I've seen Sunn0))) twice (excellent the first time, insane the second, can't wait for the third). Also saw Neurosis in Fury Fest this year - another almost religous experience like Esoteric and Worship.

As for Sludge, funny (in a very black sort of way) story...
    My mate Jim was telling my about the new Crowbar album (I've heard it since, it's excellent) and he was describing it as "good ol New Orleans Sludge."
    So I said, "That'd pretty much be *all* of New Orleans right now..."
    And we laughed and felt bad about it all at the same time :)

Khanate are playing in November methinks? Haven't really heard much of theirs, but it's been recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

At the risk of sounding an even bigger twit than usual, what exactly ARE these genres? Bear in mind I know nothing about anything, so you'll have to describe using words only, as you would to a child.

Doom: Slow, heavy, dark, heavy, slow music. More about atmosphere than rocking out but not as pretentious as it sounds.

Stoner: Faster than doom but not much. All about grooves and well, getting stoned. Although it's not just for stoners (I'm far from a stoner), also for people who like a good groove and riffs that kill.

Sludge is kind of a blend of the other two. It's not quite doom but it's very distorted sounding. Scarier sounding than stoner. It does really sound like everything is mired in sludge.

If anyone else wants to add their €0.02 feel free. You can also check out some of the bands recommended above if any of what I wrote sounds interesting. A lot of it is pretty out there but excellent nonetheless. The stoner stuff is probably the easiest to get into.

Kharn wrote:
    Was at the Ashes To Ashes Doom To Dust thing (I don't think it's really a festival, more of a tour) in Holland this year - it was insanity! Line up on the first night was The Plague of Gentlemen, Reverend Bizzare, Worship and Electric Wizard. Second gig (3rd of the festival, but day 2 was in Belgium and we didn't go) had Planet Aids and Esoteric added to the mix.

Plague of Gentlemen were very cool, my first time really hearing them. Reverend Bizzare were also excellent, again, my first time really listening to them. Worship were amazing. Couldn't get over it (it seems to be the brain-child of this weird german guy that looks like a Klingon - all the other musicians were in as session players). Planet Aids were awfully intense and a bit scary tbh! Esoteric warped my brain in an unforgetable, but barely concievable way. Wizard were Gods (and Goddess) of Doom Incarnate! It was something else. The drugs enhanced the experience considerably :p

John2 is jealous.
    As for other Doom gigs, I've seen Sunn0))) twice (excellent the first time, insane the second, can't wait for the third). Also saw Neurosis in Fury Fest this year - another almost religous experience like Esoteric and Worship.

The word on the grapevine is that Sunn O))) will be doing a European tour in February with some band called Earth...
    Khanate are playing in November methinks? Haven't really heard much of theirs, but it's been recommended.

21 November in Whelans. I recommend checking them out. I've a funny feeling they're going to be intense live. REALLY intense.

Good stuff, I'll probably go along so.

I just realised that I never mentioned anything of the Irish bands - 2 that I really like are Mael Morda (traditional Irish instruments mixed with Doom Metal - sounds daft, but it's genius) and Wreck Of The Hesperus (Doom that sounds like it's from the sewers - excellent stuff).

Mael Morda live are brilliant - they have the blue war-paint on and animal pelts draped across their shoulders - madness!

WOTH I haven't seen live yet, but I'm mates with their drummer (Ray) who's making mention of going to Khanate. They have 2 demos and you can get tunes on their website (they have a page on myspace too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I think I saw Meal Morda in the Gasworks what must be several years ago when I was but a young 'un, at the time all I could do was laugh as I was quite drunk and one of my mates walked out of the bogs and said something along the lines of "Dude, there's some guy trying to make himself look like Braveheart in there! Where's my pint?!" Several years on now, and I think I'd quite like to give them a proper listen.

• Advertisement

I must check these Irish bands out.

The new Terrorizer has lots of Sunn O)))/Khanate/Earth in it btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Sleep - Volume One (The Sleep album no one seems to listen to, but possibly a little bit easier to listen to than Dopesmoker)
    Eyehategod - In the Name of Suffering (Hooray! Scratch Acid listens to them too - I'm not alone!)
    Iron Monkey - Iron Monkey (My introduction to Stoner/Doom stuff, not that well known, but very powerfully negative upbeat stuff)
    Electric Wizard - Dopethrone (Bought this on a whim recently after seeing recommendations on this board, and all I can say is wow.)
    Bongzilla - Gateway (Anyone heard them?)
    Cathedral - In Memoriam (Absolutely fantastic - a revelation for me when I heard it)
    Candlemass - Nightfall (I've only recently gotten into them, but they came up with some fairly fantastic stuff back in their early days, the new stuff is a bit (/very) questionable. Much in the same way Cathedral went)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Cathedral's new album is supposed to be pretty spanky, going on what I've heard. I wouldn't be a big fan at all but even I'm tempted to pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

If anyone feels like emailling me some doom albums i would really appreciate it,just pm me and ill give you my email address ,also im thinking of going to that khanate gig,is it sold out?Would you say there will be many people there?

And to the person who spoke of terrrorizer aer those bands on the cd?

If anyone feels like emailling me some doom albums i would really appreciate it,just pm me and ill give you my email address ,also im thinking of going to that khanate gig,is it sold out?Would you say there will be many people there?

And to the person who spoke of terrrorizer aer those bands on the cd?

No unfortunately they're not on the CD. Khanate isn't sold out and I honestly don't know how many people will be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Kharn wrote:
    Also saw Neurosis in Fury Fest this year - another almost religous experience like Esoteric and Worship.
    You were at Fury Fest this year? g*t, really, REALLY wanted to go, the sunday line up was simply unbelievable, but alas, funds stopped me.

Think I'll look into some Mael Mordha too, know a mate whos a fan of theirs, I'll have to get some albums off him.

I picked up 'Dopethrone'. Very impressed from my initial listen, can't wait to listen to it with some decent headphones.

Pugsley wrote:
    You were at Fury Fest this year? g*t, really, REALLY wanted to go, the sunday line up was simply unbelievable, but alas, funds stopped me.
    Was at it last year too ;) This year's line up was cool. Shared some dope and Buckfast(!) with Leonard (vocalist) from Cephalic Carnage this year, that was fun.
    Pugsley wrote:
    Think I'll look into some Mael Mordha too, know a mate whos a fan of theirs, I'll have to get some albums off him.
    They have a new album just out I believe (might have mentioned that already - can't be arsed looking back over it). Should be available in Sound Cellar anyway amongst others I'm sure. Check Metal Ireland for more details, I'm sure someone can help you - I think there was a post on their forum about it, but you might have to look for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Eyehategod - Dopesick
    Interestingly enough, Eyehategod's lead singer has been arrested for (yet another) drug offence, this time on probation. The band are trying to raise money for legal representation on the band's site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

i cant believe you'd never heard of crowbar but that said i didnt really know much of the other bands. pelican are very good from the limited pelican ive heard.

Advertisement