Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sludge/Stoner/Doom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

dimerocks wrote:
    i cant believe you'd never heard of crowbar but that said i didnt really know much of the other bands. pelican are very good from the limited pelican ive heard.

I'd heard of Crowbar but I had never listened to them.

Pelican are deadly, I bought their new album a couple of days ago. Reminded me of Isis but better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

you should try to get odd fellows rest to get into crowbar. its class. i think ill go and buy some pelican next time i have money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Hmm...I just had a bit of Boris on there, and it flicked onto Jesu, so I thought I'd mention them both in case they were over looked.
    I more than likely already mentioned them.If I have, please ignore this, as I am a retard.

I don't think Jesu were mentioned but Boris were the inspiration for this thread so mentioning Boris more and more is very welcome. That is I wholeheartedly encourage Boris fans and soon-to-be Boris fans to mention Boris as much as Boris, I mean possible. Boris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭hickm4

Some cracking bands mentioned there........Also check out YOB , Warhorse, Unearthly Trance, Uncertainty Principle, Sons of Otis, Goatsnake if your into Boris/Electric Wizard style stuff, Any Pelican/Isis fans check out Red Sparrows......
    A couple of other stoner/sludge bands are Bongzilla, Weedeater, Super Roach, Toner Low, Old Mans Gloom,.......

• Advertisement

hickm4 wrote:
    Bongzilla

Everyone keeps mentioning these guys lately, I'm going to have to check them out.

I'm waiting on an album by a band called Ocean to be delivered. It's on my favourite record label (Important Records) so I've very high hopes for it. Especially considering the word on the street is that they're amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I heard "Catalyst" by Isis several months ago, and promptly deemed 'em one of the worst bands I'd ever heard.
    Then last week I bought "Panopticon", and I absolutely love it. Obviously the vocals aren't the best thing about the band, which was probably what put me off "Catalyst" in the beginning. They've some beautiful, beautiful music. Makes my bus journeys a joy now.
    Anyone who likes Isis would do well to check out the latest Thrice album, "Vheissu", as it is heavily Isis influenced, and it sounds great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Collapse and Crush by Isis and Hym by Isis.Absolutely amazing tracks.

Scouser, If you don't like the vocals in Isis, I'll have to recommend Pelican to you. They sound like Isis but instrumental. They've a new album out on Hydra Head Records.

Nah I don't mind the actual singing, that's fine, it's just the really gruff stuff like at the start of "So Did We". You get used to it though, I don't really mind it at all. Yeah I'll check Pelican out, would I able to find 'em in most shops?

• Advertisement

I got mine in Road Records on Fade St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭hickm4

Looks like Pelican are playing Dublin on Saturday December 17th, think its in the Voodoo lounge, will post more details when i get them.............Would be a cracking gig !

hickm4 wrote:
    Looks like Pelican are playing Dublin on Saturday December 17th, think its in the Voodoo lounge, will post more details when i get them.............Would be a cracking gig !

Great stuff! Needless to say after hyping them up I'll be at this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I might also be at this :)

In the post today I got the following:

Sleep - Volume One
    Earth - Extra-Capsular Extraction
    Khanate - Khanate
    Boris with Merzbow - Sun Baked Snow Cave
    Melvins - Bullhead

Haven't had a chance to listen to any of them yet but I'm excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

Thumbs up for Novembers Doom, especially their latest album

Yeah I picked up that Pelican album "The Fire In Our Throats...".
    It's damn good. Damn damn good. I'm at that gig.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yup! Can't wait for that Pellican gig - I've book the night off work already :) For anyone who missed Khanate on Monday, check this thread. I will be getting all I can of Khanate as a result!

Isis - I've spoken of their virtues before and spread the word as much as possible. I think it's very accessible for non-metal people - Pellican even more so (cause there's no shouty vocals to put the timid off).

Hick mentioned Warhorse and Red Sparrows - big thumbs up for both those bands too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ShotgunblueZ

Cannot wait for this gig...this is part of Whelan's Christmas Party with support from Oak & Ten Past Seven...anyone heard of these two bands...?

For all thee unconverted...check out 'The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw' and their debut EP....

Haven't got the EP but the album is savage. I've got my tickets finally too.

• Advertisement

I found the EP difficult to source and purchase John2, but I went onto that Stoner/Doom/Sludge Mecca that is www.stonerrock.com and purchased it...

Anyone have the Pelican Live DVD from Chicago circa 2003...? Worth purchasing from Hydrahead if it is still available...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I'm not 100% sure of the validity of the rumour, but I have heard Sunn o))) are planning on doing a European tour with Earth. Eardrums will be liquified

nosmo wrote:
    I'm not 100% sure of the validity of the rumour, but I have heard Sunn o))) are planning on doing a European tour with Earth. Eardrums will be liquidised

'Tis true and they're including the UK on the tour. I think that nice chap from U:Mack who got Khanate over recently (and Sunn O))) last year) was inquiring as to a Dublin show. Eardrums will be liquidised and faces will be melted.

And thanks for the link shotgun, nice site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Just got my hands on the special edition of Black One today, and oh good heavens. I can feel parts of my brain eroding.

What did you think of Volume One john2?

It's good but I think I prefer Holy Mountain and Dopesmoker. Volume One just lacks something compared to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

John2 wrote:
    I think that nice chap from U:Mack who got Khanate over recently (and Sunn O))) last year) was inquiring as to a Dublin show.

I hope this pans out. Listening to them on CD is one thing but hearing/feeling it live would be something else.

Just back from Pelican. They were really good, so good I ended up spending €50 on the CDs I didn't have already. I didn't like either of the supports though, Ten Past Seven were interesting but not my cup of tea and Oak were rubbish as usual.

Really enjoyed the Pelican gig too...It went by waay to quickly for my liking & I thought they mighta played 'nightendday' but it was fab to see them live and play so well. They are very talented musicians...

O and John2...I am impressed with your top-100 albums - well done...& I would agree with a lot of what is there...with one notable exception....!

Where is Janes Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual?...methinks it was a seminal album and a lotta bands in said list would not be around today had it not have been for that album...

Just a thought...

• Advertisement

Fucking Bollocks anyway! I completely forgot about the Pelican gig. Argh! So it was good, then? How long was the set?

Advertisement