Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sludge/Stoner/Doom

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Very good gig, but 10 Past 7 were the band of the night for me - astounding.

Pelican were amazing - totally cool and none of the evil vibes Khanate had going on. Oak weren't up to much I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Where is Janes Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual?...methinks it was a seminal album and a lotta bands in said list would not be around today had it not have been for that album...

Only included what I own. I don't mind Jane's Addiction but the singer annoys me a bit.
    Kharn wrote:
    Very good gig, but 10 Past 7 were the band of the night for me - astounding.

I could appreciate what 10 Past 7 were doing but it wasn't my thing. Some bits of their set was really rocking but at times they were bit meh. The drummer was hilarious though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

Dont know if anyone's mentioned them yet but if anyone likes sabbath then you must listen to the band "St.Vitus" (like the sabbath song). On a few tracks they could be sabbath but more depressed and with slightly different vocals. They seem to like wah too.
    Also anyone got aome info on how in the name of great holy marijuana can i enable myself to listen to "Bad Boat"
    Heard one song and was like, must get that bands music.....:o

I keep meaning to pick up a St. Vitus album, they have a few in Tower at the moment. After Christmas I think I'll give them a listen.

John2 wrote:
    I keep meaning to pick up a St. Vitus album, they have a few in Tower at the moment. After Christmas I think I'll give them a listen.

Yeah man they're good. specially if you like sabbath and some of fu manchu's stuff from the "in search of...." album (thats faster but some very similar tones and very sabbath influenced).
    THe pinky/purple album "born too late is good" make sure you get one that has Wino still in band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I recently got my hands on Things Vile by Khanate, and I'm very impressed. They manage to scare me a lot more than Sunn o))) have so far. I think it was a kinda weird choice to start listening to Khanate and Sunn o))) at the same time, while they do have their own sounds, the similarities are evident at some points too. Not particularly surprising I guess. Any recommendations on where to go next? I'm contemplating getting some Earth

Get Earth's Earth2 and Hex; Printing in the infernal method. Two completely different albums. The former is the album that Sunn O))) are essentially a tribute to. The latter is a very atmospheric, folky/country album but very very very very very dark. I love them both.

Terrible news lads, the Sunn O))) and Earth tour is bypassing Ireland. Cuntbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Picked up that Jesu album... me likeee. Ted Parsons playing drums on it, very nice. Not as electronic as I feared it might be. Good stuff, worth picking up.

There's a Jesu EP that is quite good too. Not as good as the album though. I'm surprised you actually bought it, if I remember correctly you were none too impressed with them when they played with Isis?

• Advertisement

Upon reflection I was probably a little harsh on them due to the dreaded TBMC wall of **** sound dilemma, so I thought I'd take a punt on them. I have had quite a re-awakening of my love of sludge recently :D

Seeing Ted Parsons played on the album was quite a pleasant surprise. I know you have the love of the Swans but I was a huge prong fan and I've a lot of time for the man :)

I've never listened to Prong. Any suggestions?

Personally, Prove You Wrong is the pick of the crop, though I think I am unique in that point of view. Cleansing was their most popular effort and Rude Awakening has some nice electronic smudges to it, just don't expect anything remotely like the Swans though :)

Doctor J wrote:
    Personally, Prove You Wrong is the pick of the crop, though I think I am unique in that point of view. Cleansing was their most popular effort and Rude Awakening has some nice electronic smudges to it, just don't expect anything remotely like the Swans though :)

Just listened to a few samples on Amazon. Reminds me of Helmut but less angry. I'll be buying some of that when I get a chance. *sigh* so many records to buy.

John2 wrote:
    *sigh* so many records to buy.

Ahh you love it really though :p

Not as much as I love getting free CDs

Attention stoners: Like.. dude.. can i buy a Bongzilla album in ireland? also, anyone seen the Fu Manchu album "in search of..." for sale in any music shop or will i have to resort to giving those slow Bastar*s at amazon more money?

Anyone got info on how i can listen more to Bad Boat?

Con_316 wrote:
    Attention stoners: Like.. dude.. can i buy a Bongzilla album in ireland?
    Last time I was in HMV they had Gateway, but then again, I haven't been in there in a while

nosmo wrote:
    Last time I was in HMV they had Gateway, but then again, I haven't been in there in a while

Where was this hmv dude?

Con_316 wrote:
    Where was this hmv dude?
    whoops, sorry, should have said that, Grafton Street.

• Advertisement

nosmo wrote:
    whoops, sorry, should have said that, Grafton Street.

Right. thanks, may be a while before i'd be there given that i'm extremely far away in terms of a 4hour bus journey since my current car died but hopefully they'll still have it. Must try go in to there soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I've been in a sludgy mood in recent days, anyone care to recommend something, maybe along the lines of Crowbar?

Dopesmoker by Sleep. Heavy, slow, big, big riffs and just one song an hour long :)

Doctor J wrote:
    Dopesmoker by Sleep. Heavy, slow, big, big riffs and just one song an hour long :)

Sleep are good. Just been listening to "Jerusalem" (by Sleep) 3 times on repeat on the cd player. Again one big, really slow song with low fuzzy guitars. 52 minutes and 8 seconds long. Great stuff that is.
    Track 6 off the Sleep album "sleep's holy mountain" is a bit like that but it's way shorter.
    Try St.Vitus also. The album "born too late" is good. Bongzilla also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

red sparrowes might be coming to both dublin & belfast mid '06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Doctor J wrote:
    Holy ****. I'll check it out, thanks for the tip.

Con_316 wrote:
    Sleep are good. Just been listening to "Jerusalem" (by Sleep) 3 times on repeat on the cd player. Again one big, really slow song with low fuzzy guitars. 52 minutes and 8 seconds long.

Jerusalem is Dopesmoker but shorter and divided into tracks. Well they're a bit different, Dopesmoker is more raw.

Speaking of Sleep, has anyone here listened to Om? I was wondering where to start

Two new records that may be of interest to the few who read this thread. Well one isn't that new but I only got around to listening to it after buying it about six months ago.

Brant Bjork (drummer from Kyuss) released an album called Saved by Magic and it's not great. It's very laid back and kind of funky but it is a bit repetitive and gets a bit boring. Very nice sleeve on it though.

Thrones (Joe Preston, formally of The Melvins and Earth) released a compilation recently on Southern Lord. It's very ****ing cool. Not as bleak or as doomy as the rest of the bands released on SL, it's more like The Melvins (not surprising really) as in places it's quite barmy and rocks like a mother****er. I'd recommend it to a friend.

John2 wrote:
    Jerusalem is Dopesmoker but shorter and divided into tracks. Well they're a bit different, Dopesmoker is more raw.

Speaking of Sleep, has anyone here listened to Om? I was wondering where to start

I know that. They're fairly different though really. well, different enough t give a gifferent experience of each.

• Advertisement

That's true, it's like having two bowls of ice cream with a different sauce on each

Advertisement