Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sludge/Stoner/Doom

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

On a vaguely related note - I recently had the pleasure of seeing the movie Gummo which used 'Dragonaut' by Sleep to great effect. It was played while these two kids were cycling down a steep road in slow motion...twas neat. It had a pretty hot soundtrack actually, 'Dunkelheit' and 'Decrepitude II' by Burzum worked really well and Bathory were on there somewhere aswell.

Edit: That would be 'Rundtgåing av Den Transcendentale Egenhetens Støtte', not 'Decrepitude II', pardon the retardedness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

John2 wrote:
    That's true, it's like having two bowls of ice cream with a different sauce on each

Indeed. What an inspired thing to say. Wish id thought of that. Much mor descriptive than my roundabout way.
    In this case, i guess Jerusalem is like ice cream with Dooleys type stuff, Dopesmoker is like the same ice cream with a glass of JD poured on it.

It's like Planet caravan: Sabbaths super trippy version, and pantera's less trippy but stil faithful (and good) cover. Except this is the same band. Sh1t, must stop minorly contradicting myself, it's confusing me. Argh! :)

On a vaguely related note - I recently had the pleasure of seeing the movie Gummo which used 'Dragonaut' by Sleep to great effect. It was played while these two kids were cycling down a steep road in slow motion...twas neat. It had a pretty hot soundtrack actually, 'Dunkelheit' and 'Decrepitude II' by Burzum worked really well and Bathory were on there somewhere aswell.

Edit: That would be 'Rundtgåing av Den Transcendentale Egenhetens Støtte', not 'Decrepitude II', pardon the retardedness.

Hey man, that sounds like cool film. BTW How you get those symbol letters to type? i always want umlauts for writing german.

Also, is that funny lookin little red yoke under yer name the sort of battle robot thingy from somethin like "ghost in the shell"?

Con_316 wrote:
    Hey man, that sounds like cool film. BTW How you get those symbol letters to type? i always want umlauts for writing german.

I have no idea, I just pasted it from somewhere. I'm sure you can find out easily enough if you search for it.
    Con_316 wrote:
    Also, is that funny lookin little red yoke under yer name the sort of battle robot thingy from somethin like "ghost in the shell"?

Ja, it's a fuchikoma from Ghost in the Shell.

AH, searchin for things sucks. Thanks for the fuchikoma info. I remember that now. had the game of that absolutely years ago. It was great. Wasnt it like a manga or a comic or something before a game?
    Anyway. i'm liking it's usage for a icon, very nicely random and stonerish.

• Advertisement

Yeah I played the game in the past too, all I can remember was being amazed that you could run up the walls in your fuchikoma.

It started as a manga, then an anime movie was made then the TV series after that. I think there was another manga series in there somewhere too.

I think we've de-railed this thread in a spectacular fashion.

Yes we have! But still, that game was wicked. you'd be there runnin round jumpin all over the place, crawlin on wall, and the guns-for-legs at the front rocked. Anyway,
    So stoner rock then....
    Actually i really want to get the Blue Kyuss- queens of the stone age album. I've been able to find it on amazon and another site. chaepest was $86. Damn, ah well, ive been after it for years, sacrifices must be made, i'll just have to go without food for a while......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

John2 wrote:
    Speaking of Sleep, has anyone here listened to Om? I was wondering where to start

After extensive research (i.e. a quick google) I found that the best place to start is Variations on a Theme as it is their only release so far. I picked it up today and as Homer says: "Yes! Yes! Yes! This rocks!" The band is Sleep minus the guitar, it's just Chris Hakius on drums and Al Cisneros on bass and vocals. You wouldn't know the guitar's missing most of the time, the bass sounds savage. It's three tracks, each one is a mini-Dopesmoker. They've taken no steps to update their sound or change styles, they just rock out as hard as they always did. I give this two thumbs up.

Found this interview (see attachment) on Stephen O'Malley's site today. Good read and dispels the legend of Dopesmoker (of course when introducing this album to people I'll still use the legend).

In other news I picked up the Heavier Than Thou by Saint Vitus today. I liked it but it sounds a bit weedy (pun partially intended) compared to bands that came after them. I put it down to the recording more though.

That was very interesting. My favourite part was this: "All my riffs come from Jesus Christ"

Jesus has some pretty good riffs.

• Advertisement

044-guitar.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

John2 wrote:
    Get Earth's Earth2 and Hex; Printing in the infernal method. Two completely different albums. The former is the album that Sunn O))) are essentially a tribute to. The latter is a very atmospheric, folky/country album but very very very very very dark. I love them both.
    I picked up Hex today, and while I've only given it one listen, but the underlying Sabbath worship is more evident here than anywhere else. It's an amazing piece of work, melodic yet chilling at the same time. At points it's pleasant, but after concentrating on the overall feeling the music evokes something much darker can be seen. I'll have to give it a good few listens more.

I am still baffled by the fact something so dark contains a banjo.

The banjo is one of the most sinister instruments known to man

*thinks back to Deliverence*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

I'm not too well up on my ultra-specific Metal genres but I'm pretty sure Mistress fall into the Sludge category.What a ****ing great band.

THREAD OF DOOM I REANIMATE THEE!

Thought I'd bring this back up and recommend some stuff I've been listening to lately.

Zoroaster - Zoroaster:
    I got this EP to review and I have to say it's ****ing great. The first track isn't the Mae West but it definitely picks up after that. Think Sleep before they made albums with only one song on them.

Slomo - The Creep:
    Speaking of albums with only one song on them, this isn't so much doom, it's a bit more ambient and experimental. If you ever wondered what it was like to live inside a whale, this will help recreate the experience (you can sort out the wetness and the mucous yourself).

Moss - Cthonic Rites:
    This is kind of a middle ground between Khanate and more traditional doom. I wasn't hot on it at first but it's grown on me immensely. Only two songs but they go on forever!

Grief - Alive:
    Limited edition live album. I think it's only 1000 copies so I don't know if it's sold out or not. Not the best Grief I've heard but a nice introduction to them (and they do a cool Saint Vitus cover on it too).

Current 93/OM - Inerrant Rays of Infallible Sun (Blackship Shrinebuilder):
    This is one of the best releases I've gotten this year. The OM track is much better than either of the songs on their new album. Current 93 seemed to have dropped all their folk instruments and have made an absolute monster of heaviness. It's got grinding guitar and bass, apocalyptic lyrics and, wait for it, bagpipes. I **** you not. It's only on 10" vinyl at the moment but there's a CD version out soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I've been listening to Crowbar's latest album Lifesblood For The Downtrodden, excellent piece of work. I have Odd Fellows Rest as well, but it's a shame that their stuff seems so hard to come by.

The only doom stuff I've been listening to lately has been the EPs 'We Will Lead You to Glorious Times' and 'The Tomb' by Ramesses, a band comprised of two duders from Electric Wizard and some other guy. It's pretty fun stuff. Recommended.
    John2 wrote:
    Slomo - The Creep:
    Speaking of albums with only one song on them, this isn't so much doom, it's a bit more ambient and experimental. If you ever wondered what it was like to live inside a whale, this will help recreate the experience (you can sort out the wetness and the mucous yourself).

Sounds innaresting, must have a luke.

Advertisement