Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card or Laser card?

Options
  • 16-10-2005 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Im looking into getting either a credit card or a laser card, as im sick of using other peoples. I just need some advice/tips on which to go for.
    Im a student and bank with AIB and credit union if thats of any relevance.

I want it for buying stuff on ebay and dvd`s ect... online. I wouldnt be putting anything massive on it and a limit of E1500 or so would do. I would have gotten one ages ago but the government stamp duty of E40 has deterred me till now. Its only E20 on the laser cards which would do me either, i think.

Could i use a laser card to buy stuff on ebay via paypal?
    Where do i get a laser card.
    Are credit cards free on interest if i clear them before end of month?
    Is it worth shopping around for a credit card or seen as im with AIB i might as well just get theirs?

Appreciate any help given. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

Internet Shopping + Debit Card = A really really bad idea.

If you become a victim of Internet fraud using a Debit Card, you have no protection. With Credit Cards, you can usually charge back any unauthorised payments.

AFAIK, all credit cards have a period of grace during which no interest is charged on purchases. If you keep paying off your CC bills as they come in, then interest is not charged. There will likely be surcharges for use of the card, however.

Shopping around is always a good idea, but as you say you'll be paying back the full amounts each month, don't look at % rates as being the be-all and end-all. Make sure you check to see how much (if any) various places charge for use of the card. Also, when ordering stuff from countries using a foreign currency, CC companies will fudge the exchange rate slightly, so as to give themselves a better deal. Although, I can't really think how you would check this, other than to ask people who have experience with ordering stuff from overseas with various cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

let me know how you get on with AIB with a credit card if you decide to go with them for one.

i tried getting a student one from BOI but they said i needed to be in a part time job.

would AIB be the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

PayPal don't accept Irish Debit cards yet.
    I found it hard to get a laser card while I was a student but got an AIB credit card no problem. A friend of mine had trouble getting a student credit card but was given a "normal" AIB visa card no problem :O

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Malafus wrote:
    If you become a victim of Internet fraud using a Debit Card, you have no protection. With Credit Cards, you can usually charge back any unauthorised payments

There are very few internet sites that take Laser, virtually none outside of Ireland. If your card number was intercepted, it would be useless outside of this country. In my opinion, the chances of you getting caught for fraud with such a card are very slim.

Have you considered the new disposable credit cards? I think Permanent TSB do them. You get a credit card number to a certain value, and once it is used up, the card number is worthless. A bit like a pre-paid phone card.

The beauty of it is that you don't have to qualify, don't have a monthly bill and you are very unlikely to get hit with fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭bookiebasher

use the new 3v card from permanent tsb its like a top up phone put in 100 and you get a slip and enter the code and its put on your card .I use it for e bay and paypal and it works great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

use the new 3v card from permanent tsb its like a top up phone put in 100 and you get a slip and enter the code and its put on your card .I use it for e bay and paypal and it works great

That's the best option alright.

Laser cards are all well and good for domestic purchases where you don't have cash on you, but don't want to put it on credit. E.g. petrol, clothes etc. I would be very hesitant using it for online purchases.

I would be surprised if you are even issued with a laser card as a student. AFAIK a laser card is also a check guarantee card for a decent amount of money (can't remember exactly how much), making the bank liable for checks you make up to that amount - even if you don't have money in the account.

I know that BoI will make you use a normal ATM card for 6 months or so, before they give you a laser card. This is so they can confirm you are getting regular income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Thanks for the help people.
    Im just gonna go with the Aib credit card. It sorta kills me to have to pay E40 tax on it though. As if we dont pay enough tax in this country. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Nuttzy wrote:
    Thanks for the help people.
    Im just gonna go with the Aib credit card. It sorta kills me to have to pay E40 tax on it though. As if we dont pay enough tax in this country. :(

You did check out this site right? https://www.3v.ie/index.cfm - it seems to be exactly what you are looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

tom dunne wrote:
    There are very few internet sites that take Laser, virtually none outside of Ireland. If your card number was intercepted, it would be useless outside of this country. In my opinion, the chances of you getting caught for fraud with such a card are very slim.

Yes, but they key word in my post is the very first word of the 2nd line. IF. IF the card number is stolen, and used, no matter how unlikely it was, it's still going to be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Just get the Student CC... 40euro a year, well worth it...

This is all provided you can manage your finances properly...

Loadsa people go on about the dangers of having a credit card... well it got me out of a few tight spots in its time* and I'd say I've paid about a tenner interest in all the years I had one...

* last orders for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The 3V service is tremendously expensive. There are hidden charges all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The 3V service is tremendously expensive. There are hidden charges all over the place.
    But beggars can't be choosers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Thanks for all the help folk. I went for the AIB student cred card. Think its called a MC2 or something. Real groovy lookin card, has the new chip+pin in it.
    let me know how you get on with AIB with a credit card if you decide to go with them for one.

i tried getting a student one from BOI but they said i needed to be in a part time job.

would AIB be the same?
    I wasnt asked that, i applied online, you print the 2 forms needed, sign them and post them off. Thats the online way, very efficient. I gotr the card about 2wks after.

I cant figure out how to view the cards transactions though, i thought this could be done thru Aib online banking??? :confused: Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I applied for a Laser card in BOI during the summer.
    I have a 3rd level student account and during that summer had 500euro a week going in for 12 weeks. They were very hesitant on giving it to me but I told them id take my business elsewhere if I was not issued one.

The woman on the phone reluctantly issued me with one.
    Theyre teh dogs balls to be honest, theyre great. I have sometimes overdrawn by a few quid (Think 100 was the max ever) but I paid it back to the bank within a week and never got a call from them telling me I was over-drawn.

Also there has been very little activity since the day I got it and again ive heard nothing from the bank telling me I must use so much per month etc...

Don't believe the myths you hear about having to have X amount going into your account p/m, its all about persuading the issuer!

Advertisement