Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sticking to Speed Limits

Options
  • 17-10-2005 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Bit of a rant coming on......Am I the only person sticking to speed limits these days?????? My daily commute takes me about 10 miles in an 80kph zone and I generally drive around the limit - maybe 85kph or so (55mph in old money max) but I get passed out so often and in the areas where it's not possible to pass out I end up with a line of cars behind me - typically the first guy will be up my arse but tailgating is a rant for another day.
    I value my zero points license and reduced insurance without points but does anybody else?
    And don't even get me started on the 50kph zone I have to go through (it's a country school bus pick up zone) - I get people flashing and beeping at me on this piece of road when I'm doing less than 80kph...
    Ok, rant over but interested in other opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Let me see if I understand: your screen name is celica140bhp but you want to complain about people speeding?

Mmmmmm....OK.... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

just move out of peoples way.let them do the speed they want.u cannot stop them. i went to belfast yesterday.most of the way i went 180 kph.nobody is there to stop me. i donot know why u put up thos thread.the best answer is if theres people up ur arse that means u are very slow like a granny so just move away or start walking:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

drdre wrote:
    just move out of peoples way.let them do the speed they want.u cannot stop them. i went to belfast yesterday.most of the way i went 180 kph.nobody is there to stop me. i donot know why u put up thos thread.the best answer is if theres people up ur arse that means u are very slow like a granny so just move away or start walking:D

Your one of the reasons why people get killed and insurance is high, I am trained by the army to drive evasively, offensively defensively and at high speed but i don't and there is no need in my current employment or this country, you may cop yourself on before you kill someone or yourself and if I was a policeman I would ban you from driving and also lock you up in prision for a while to contemplate your lack of regard for both the law and life.

Bit of a rant coming on......Am I the only person sticking to speed limits these days?????? My daily commute takes me about 10 miles in an 80kph zone and I generally drive around the limit - maybe 85kph or so (55mph in old money max) but I get passed out so often and in the areas where it's not possible to pass out I end up with a line of cars behind me - typically the first guy will be up my arse but tailgating is a rant for another day.
    I value my zero points license and reduced insurance without points but does anybody else?
    And don't even get me started on the 50kph zone I have to go through (it's a country school bus pick up zone) - I get people flashing and beeping at me on this piece of road when I'm doing less than 80kph...

This would'nt be around the Malahide Road by anychance ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

you're not alone. Especially within the city I'd rarely go above 50 in a 50 or 60 in a 60. don't fancy the points, and to be honest, on an average journey, it's not really going to save you more than a couple of minutes, if even, once you take into account time spent at traffic lights etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

Very true spockety, I was on way to visit a friend in dublin, a Glanza Turbo went by me very fast and kept on, at that time I was doing 102kmph, I have a digital reading to have it exact, he must have been doing at least 160kmph to 180kmph, no other cars passed me since then, 10 minutes later I drove up behind the Glanza in a town which is the one that passed me and now he's stuck, I was having a great laugh looking at his thick face :)
    woody wrote:
    This would'nt be around the Malahide Road by anychance ?

There seems to be a good few boys like to spin their wheels while taking off over that side of the city

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

something happened to my post here in the forum upgrade.
    Anyway, my point was that it is a bit hipocritic of you to criticise others for speeding when you yourself admit to doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

StRiKeR wrote:
    I drove up behind the Glanza in a town which is the one that passed me and now he's stuck, I was having a great laugh looking at his thick face

yea but he wasn't driving fast to get from A to B. He was driving fast because he likes to, why else would you get a Glanza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

kbannon wrote:
    Anyway, my point was that it is a bit hipocritic of you to criticise others for speeding when you yourself admit to doing it.

Depends on what you class as speeding
    At a school bad
    Open motorway in a car that can handle it not so bad eg 90mph in a car that can clock 190mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Around Cork we have a load of roads which are of motorway quality, but are limited to 100k. This is of course plain insane.

I often break the limit by 10k, but that doesnt mean I dont get someone arrogant person who starts flashing because I have cheek to slow him/her down as i'm are passing out slower vehicles (i dont mean hogging the outside lane). It is unbelieveable how some manage to keep their licences at all.

I agree fully with the OP, and would dearly love to see drivers such as drdre to be put off the road. Its nothing to do with driving like a granny, but idiots with more BHPs than brain cells making a fair effort at causing carnage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

I used to drive fairly fast in my last car, a 1.4 Astra, always pushing it on! Since then, in June of this year I bought a jap-import Levin 1.6 and driving on the dual-carriageways i would rarely break 95km/hr. At this stage I just start laughing when any car tears passed me- thing is I know I could do the same, but just don't feel I've anything to prove anymore!

I get the same as the OP sometimes with people expecting me to speed up but I just stick to the limits as best I can and let them off!

I agree with those of you saying that certain drivers should not be on the road! In all fairness,if ya want to have some fun with the car, take it to the track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭celica140bhp

Well, it seems as if most folk agree with me but to...

Ernie Ball - just because I drive a Celica doesn't mean I break the speed limits. Any car is capable of breaking the limits. If you have a 1litre Yaris you can still do 100k in an 80k zone.

Drdre - I'm surprised at your response....how many points have you got? If you say none then 1) I don't believe you or 2) you're not have as brave/stupid as you make out.

maidhc - Yep, I'm in Cork. I agree a lot of the roads are now motorway quality but we are still restricted to 100k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Bit of a rant coming on......Am I the only person sticking to speed limits these days?????? My daily commute takes me about 10 miles in an 80kph zone and I generally drive around the limit - maybe 85kph or so (55mph in old money max) but I get passed out so often and in the areas where it's not possible to pass out I end up with a line of cars behind me - .....

I figure if you have a line of cars behind you you ARE going too slow AND blocking the road.
    If u do not want to speed, that's fine, but let the others get past, and after all, there is little chance of you getting a ticket while there are other idiots out there to draw first fire. So be glad to let them past. but don't become the "enforcer" that's not your job.

69 mustang wrote:
    Depends on what you class as speeding
    At a school bad
    Open motorway in a car that can handle it not so bad eg 90mph in a car that can clock 190mph.
    Speeding is generally defined as exceeding the speed limit. The OP was speeding but didn't like the fact that other drivers speed also, albiet faster! Im not advocating the speed limits around the country. However, I do recognise that the under the current rules speeding is speeding is speeding.

The OP began their rant by asking if they are "the only person sticking to speed limits these days??????".
    They then went on to say they break the speed limits and subsequently complained that others drive too fast.
    The OP is being hipocritic!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Doing an indicated 85km/h in an 80 zone isn't speeding, when you take speedo error into account.

I think the major problem with road safety in this country is that we have a very large body of complete nutters with no regard for limits or safety, AND we have a large body of holy marys who equate 1 km/h over the limit with child murder, want all vehicles speed limited, hog the outer lane and don't let anybody overtake them.

What neither of them understands is that driving at the speed limit isn't necessarily safe, sometimes the safe speed is far lower and drivers must adapt to the road, weather and traffic conditions. Many people cannot comprehend that just because a road has an 80km/h limit does NOT mean all corners, junctions etc. can be safely negotiated at that speed.

What we need are reasonable laws for reasonable people - and a system which keeps those who insist on acting unreasonably off the road.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

ninja900 wrote:
    Doing an indicated 85km/h in an 80 zone isn't speeding, when you take speedo error into account.
    You cannot assume your speedo is erroneous. Telling a judge that the reason you were doing 10% over the limit was because you thought your speedo might be off won't get you far!

On your other point about nutters etc. that is a different matter. My point was that the OP complained of others speeding, yet there are two references in his post about him speeding; in one case, he must have tested over 80kmph in a 50 zone, i.e. he was exceeding the speed limit by over 60%.
    I wasn't getting into the morals of speeding as then I too would be a hipocrite!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

ninja900 wrote:
    What we need are reasonable laws for reasonable people - and a system which keeps those who insist on acting unreasonably off the road.

I agree fully. I guess if everyone was reasonable there wouldnt be any need for speed limits, as people would all drive as fast as is safe (maybe 200kmph on a motorway on a dry day, and 30kmph outside a school...), and no faster. How do you enforce something so subjective though.

All this talk of speeding and driving fast has anyone took into account another factor...

Fuel Consumption, Petrol and Diesel is very expensive and you burn more if you do the above, okay if you can afford it fine but if your like me and commute every drop counts as your trying to maintain a strict(ish) budget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

theShire wrote:
    I used to drive fairly fast in my last car, a 1.4 Astra, always pushing it on! Since then, in June of this year I bought a jap-import Levin 1.6 and driving on the dual-carriageways i would rarely break 95km/hr. At this stage I just start laughing when any car tears passed me- thing is I know I could do the same, but just don't feel I've anything to prove anymore!

I get the same as the OP sometimes with people expecting me to speed up but I just stick to the limits as best I can and let them off!

I agree with those of you saying that certain drivers should not be on the road! In all fairness,if ya want to have some fun with the car, take it to the track!

I know the feelin there.
    :)

I never show off by driving fast. Im normally just in a mad rush to get to my "on the line" job.! After gettin loads of warnings etc. But I agree with you, driving fairly calm because you dont got anything to prove anymore. I always break the speed limit but because I dont want to loose money on insurance, Im starting to obey speed limits to avoid any more points.

I have to say, I dont speed to show off. I like doing anything fast, drink eat run walk fast. I love driving with a good song blaring out. Drivin fast goes with the flow. Im a careful driver, and only go appropriate speed for the road style. I wouldnt go 60mph on a small road like regional road with loads of lorries etc. I think that duel carriageways should be put on main roads to stop adequate motorists being stuck behind some eejit goin 45-50 miles an hour! Its dangerous.
    If everyone went same speed and speed limit was increased to 70mphs and duel carriageways were placed on national primary routes, then the road deaths would be reduced. Instead the government pay money for an add with a lad in a wheelchair playiin basketball sayin "slow down boys" like young lads are the only ones causin accidents and the only ones who should carry the burden for every traffic death in the means of higher insurance etc. Ridiculous, its just a monopoly market.
    I love speed but its like overindulgin on anything, there's consequences.:(
    Penalty points system is like tobacco excise duty, its about the goverments revenu. Penalty points and sayin this that and the other thing aint going to prevent accidents they are going to happen if they are going to happen"!" You cant cheat fate!!

You cant make a reckless driver magically a 100% safe driver by showing him grusome advertisements and making him pay more insurance than others with the same reckless nature as him but with different profile ie charge a reckless older male driver than a younger male driver! Or a hesitant irritating granny less than a competant, able to keep up young driver!

GET THE POINT! NOT GIVE US POINTS! From the real world motorist, sponsored by having to pay more because you know you can fleece us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

Kbannon I wasn't knocking your point just that I've driven in a few countries and exceeding the limit safely on say freeway motorway autostrada or the likes is classed as OK by the traffic police as long as its dry clear distances kept etc eg 80mph on a 70mph road.

At the same time speed limits are a guide in good conditions only!

Speed is not the cause of accidents dangerous driving and misunderstanding or poor knowledge are a higher factor.
    A crash at 40mph in a 60mph area can also kill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

kbannon wrote:
    You cannot assume your speedo is erroneous. Telling a judge that the reason you were doing 10% over the limit was because you thought your speedo might be off won't get you far!
    Yep you've raised this point in another thread and I've replied there. You'd have to be rather unlucky (a) for your speedo to be totally accurate and not over-read at all, I've never seen this and (b) in practice the Gardai will operate some tolerance level i.e. targeting the worst speeders. There's only so many tickets they can write in a day, or pictures that will fit on a roll of Gatso film, so it makes sense to let those who are only slightly over the limit off. Again, it's no guarantee, you make your choice and take your chances.
    in one case, he must have tested over 80kmph in a 50 zone, i.e. he was exceeding the speed limit by over 60%.
    I took the reference to "50 zone" to mean 50mph = 80km/h
    Most people still mean mph when they refer to "30 zones", "60 zones" etc. Generally they will say km/h if they mean km/h.
    But yeah, maybe he was doing 60% over the limit...:eek:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

couldn't agree more, the speedo in my car is 10kmph higher than what it should be, I have a Apexi RSM installed in my car and a few of my friends also have it, our RSM reads the same speed when we driving at the same speed one after another on our way to a car show, but our speedo were at different speed for everyone of us, all around 10kmph, I was doing 100kmph on the RSM, speedo reads at just a little pass 110kmph, another friend reading 100kmph on RSM, 115kmph on speedo, the last guy RSM reads 100kmph, speedo reads just under 110kmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

StRiKeR wrote:
    couldn't agree more, the speedo in my car is 10kmph higher than what it should be, I have a Apexi RSM installed in my car and a few of my friends also have it, our RSM reads the same speed when we driving at the same speed one after another on our way to a car show, but our speedo were at different speed for everyone of us, all around 10kmph, I was doing 100kmph on the RSM, speedo reads at just a little pass 110kmph, another friend reading 100kmph on RSM, 115kmph on speedo, the last guy RSM reads 100kmph, speedo reads just under 110kmph.
    How does this gizmo measure speed? From googling it would appear to monitor engine revs, so would somehow need to be calibrated for a particluar car, or does it contain a GPS receiver?

Anyway, to confirm others' experiences, I've used my GPS to measure real speed vs. indicated speed for a number of different speeds, and it does appear to be pretty much 10% out across the whole range.

Well, it seems as if most folk agree with me but to...

Ernie Ball - just because I drive a Celica doesn't mean I break the speed limits. Any car is capable of breaking the limits. If you have a 1litre Yaris you can still do 100k in an 80k zone.

I think you might be missing the point. You don't just drive a Celica, you drive a Celica with 140bhp (I presume). Let's just say that it is a bit incongruous that someone who wants to tell us all about the awesome power of his machine is also giving lectures about breaking the speed limits.

But let me ask you: why do you want (and why are you so proud of) a car that has 140bhp? Is it so you can zoom from 0-100 (and not one kmh beyond!) in 8 seconds in a 100kmh zone?

You screen name suggests that you are not insensitive to the pleasures of speed.

the RSM taps into the wire going from the sensors to the ECU to read direct from the sensor, it taps into Rev sensor, and speed sensor, also reads the battery voltage and does alot more other things, you can also make it to read the speed at higher or lower but if you leave it at default, it reads normal direct from the sensor!

140BHP seems average to me, many TDi's are around that mark

I don't agree Ernie Ball - I think if a point is being missed it is by yourself. You are making too many assumptions based on very little information! And these are not relevant to what I began the thread with.

I don't necessarily want a 140bhp but that is what the Celica came with. if I had bought a regular 1.8 4 dr family saloon chances are that I'd have got nearly the same bhp anyway.

I don't necessarily want a 140bhp but that is what the Celica came with. if I had bought a regular 1.8 4 dr family saloon chances are that I'd have got nearly the same bhp anyway.

Thats what I was trying to point out by using a TDi to compare with, I used to have a Honda Accord which is a 4 doors family car and its well over 140BHP

I don't necessarily want a 140bhp but that is what the Celica came with.

Yeah, the Celica came with two windscreen wipers as well. I don't see you calling yourself "CelicaTwoWindscreenWipers."
    if I had bought a regular 1.8 4 dr family saloon chances are that I'd have got nearly the same bhp anyway.

True, but you wouldn't have near the same power to weight ratio.

the discussion seems to move out of its point further away :)

5kmph to 10kmph over the limit happens too alot of people, not that they intented to do so, very often I be driving home at 85kmph and sometimes 110kmph, it happens, but what we are talking about here are people who intentionally drive at 180kmph or 190kmph!

I'm talking about 100kmph zone in case anyone think I was driving on 50kmph zone

• Advertisement

In fairness - I've never seen anybody get so upset over a login name!!! just as well I don't have the 190bhp Celica :)

By the way - the Celica has three wipers.

Would somebody please close this thread - I've lost interest!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement