Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sticking to Speed Limits

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

lol, I see your point celica140bhp with three wiper blades

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

I drive a T5 which is mentioned in my username if anyone wants to get upset over that ;)

LOL, you know, it is very bad that those guys that drives dangerously are the people who causes accidents and raises the insurance rather than people who drives a high power car, and they normally dont get on with us, as I dont get on with them because of the way they act on the road! getting us bad names for doing nothing! hope they will realise that someday and slow down as they grow up!

but then again, I have also been tailgate by a business man in a 05 camery on the N6 on my way home from sligo one day, I was driving in around 95kmph to 105kmph, and that camery zoomed up behind me REAL FAST, from a good distance too, I wouldn't move any fast and he passed me and as he was passing, he stir me out big time, and zoom off at high speed! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

t5pwr wrote:
    I drive a T5 which is mentioned in my username if anyone wants to get upset over that ;)

Is that a Renault:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Don't know why you people think I'm upset.

I was just pointing out, as others have, the apparent hypocrisy of the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

69 mustang wrote:
    Is that a Renault:confused:

No its a Volvo
    volvos70t5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't know why you seem to think it's hypocritical to have a 'powerful' car (140hp isn't exactly earth shattering) and criticise unsafe driving by others. It's not what you got it's how and where you use it. Some of the most dangerous driving on the roads is done in 1-litre cars, or on 50cc bikes (or even bicycles).

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

ninja900 wrote:
    I don't know why you seem to think it's hypocritical to have a 'powerful' car (140hp isn't exactly earth shattering) and criticise unsafe driving by others. It's not what you got it's how and where you use it. Some of the most dangerous driving on the roads is done in 1-litre cars, or on 50cc bikes (or even bicycles).

It's not hypocritical to have it. It's hypocritical to boast about it (in one's screen name). Because someone who really was concerned about speeding not only wouldn't boast about the horsepower of his vehicle, he'd also not feel the need for a vehicle with 140bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

This is a silly argument.

Having a powerful car (and 140bhp isnt all that powerful), and breaking speed limits are totally different things.

You can break any speed limit you want in a Renault 5, however you cant overtake a 40ft lorry in safety with one. Personally I think it is far safer to have a powerful car than an underpowered one.

(I'm sure all this has been said before, I apologise in advance)

maidhc wrote:
    This is a silly argument.

Having a powerful car (and 140bhp isnt all that powerful), and breaking speed limits are totally different things.

I've already acknowledged all that. But it's not silly. So you tell me: why does someone want to tell the world how much horsepower he's got? What, precisely, is horsepower good for?

As any advertising exec will tell you, horsepower is a proxy for speed. Car companies don't advertise how fast their cars will go. The advertise how much horsepower they have. They don't advertise torque figures, either, so it isn't about the acceleration.

This guy at one and the same time is advertising his horsepower (a Celica with 140bhp is reasonably fast) and giving us all a lecture about how naughty it is to drive over the speed limit, even where those speed limits are ridiculously low (50kph on the Stillorgan to take only my favourite example).

So, feel free to stick to 50kph on the Stillorgan. I, along with everyone else, will drive faster than that as long as I don't see the guards around.
    Personally I think it is far safer to have a powerful car than an underpowered one.

So do I. That's one reason why I have one. But I'm not a hypocrite about the other reasons.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭celica140bhp

Jeez, Ernie (if that is your real name - and if not then why did you choose it - comething to prove maybe?) what's this crap about boasting about having 140bhp. I don't think 140 is enough to boast about
    Why do I have such a name - because this is a car forum and thought it might be relevant to include my car type....
    Why have the bhp as part of it - to distinguish it from other celicas (e.g the 190)

Do you get on the case of 528i everytime he posts also?

Grow up, get a life and post relevant to the topic
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

So why did you buy yhe Celica then?
    And what difference does it make to you if people are overtaking you when your slithering along at 50mph in a 50mph zone. Most of them roads are too low a limit, especially the ones that used be 60mph but were lowered to 50mph when the kilometre switch over came in. Some Regional roads that are as good as main roads(Im not on about country lanes). Have you a problem with being over taken? :confused: If people want to drive faster than the speed your going at, they can. Who are you to whinge at them. Just continue on your way in your little celica and impress the boys. You are gay, yeah?

Nuttzy, are you Ernie?????
    W@nker!

Chief--- wrote:
    No its a Volvo
    volvos70t5.jpg

Would not of put Volvo and power together
    Normally makes me think of trucks baby seats and crash testing.
    Are you sure its not a Renault 5 turbo, as that a fast and cool car.:cool:

ps not the pic a T5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Lads where going off topic and as for people making asumptions about the ops name it is a name, I could call myself saddam hussien as my screen-name so cop on.

The Original point has been lost by stupid useless comments, the point being made Speeding is 1.) Against the Law and 2.) Can be dangerous.

Life is short and precious and people who want to die that way are idiots or think it is okay to bully on the road again are morons like drdre who gloats about his stupidy.

And drdre have a look sometime at a person with no head in a car after a car crash speeding that might change your mind.

these type of thing happens alot! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

69 mustang wrote:
    Would not of put Volvo and power together
    Normally makes me think of trucks baby seats and crash testing.
    Are you sure its not a Renault 5 turbo, as that a fast and cool car.:cool:

ps not the pic a T5

Hi 69 mustang. It is a Volvo 850 T5 which has 225bhp as standard. It is a pretty quick car. There are also two other version T5R (240bhp) and R (260bhp) This is 10 years old now so I'm sure that they have improved this. There is also a Volvo S80 T6 I believe which has 282bhp.

It is a great car for ovetaking. I don't go mad in it with speed as I know how much power it has and don't need to show it off and I have seen how some idiots overtake in small cars when racing and I don't want to bring that on myself and be killed.

The best thing about them is that they don't look fast so as boy racers aren't always hassling you for races so I can drive in peace :)

So next time you see a Volvo don't be fooled ;)

Ernie Ball wrote:
    As any advertising exec will tell you, horsepower is a proxy for speed. Car companies don't advertise how fast their cars will go. The advertise how much horsepower they have. They don't advertise torque figures, either, so it isn't about the acceleration.

Higher BHP not always be able to get a higher speed! Gear Ratio and power to weight ratio also makes the different!

People drive a Ferrari might be show off because they have the money, and THAT is a very powerful car, and they want people to know what they driving, but I've never met one speeding, met 3 of them in the pass, not one of them were driving over the speed limit! I know because I was behind them! and no I am not over taking them to make myself look stupid.

t5pwr wrote:
    The best thing about them is that they don't look fast so as boy racers aren't always hassling you for races so I can drive in peace :)
    That's a good way to contain power hide it till you need it the Jag xj8 is that way too.

wrote:
    Higher BHP not always be able to get a higher speed! Gear Ratio and power to weight ratio also makes the different!
    Not wanting to get involved in the pointless bitching.
    But isn't BHP a measurement of power to weight an HP the out put of power or torque from the engine?

• Advertisement

when measuring BHP, the car is on the rolling road, therefor the weight doesn't make no different as it isn't pulling and weight really, also the figure are usually given here would be BHP at the flywheel not at the wheels which would be higher reading, as well as that, if the car has very close gear ratio with high BHP when comparing top speed of that car with another car which is lighter and has longer gear ratio, even if they are the same BHP, the car with longer ratio and lighter body weight will get higher top speed, but takes longer time to get to it, where as the car with close ratio will hit its top speed earlier but lower top speed.

BHP and HP
    All the B means is "brake". The old word for a dyno - because the engine torque was measured by applying a brake to the flywheel rather than a torque converter or electrical motor which is how it's done nowadays. There's no other difference between the two and they both just mean horsepower.

btw, I'm not bitching and I dont think you are either 69 Mustang

I'm a little bit more enlightened on that one,

No a joke about something is one thing but don't agree on direct personal insults each to there own. One opinion is as good or bad as the next.

It's like when your on the road and someone dose something silly or with our roads miss understand the road markings as maybe they never used that road before, somebody will always get aggressive with them which if you knew them you wouldn't .

Thank you 69 Mustang, Striker, t5pwr, woody etc for posting relevant points. I look forward to discussing real topics with you guys in the future....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thread closed due to life being too short, etc.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement