Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Roy Beans

• 17-10-2005 3:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi
    This time last year I was eatting a cheese quesadilla in Judge Roy Beans in Dublin, when a maggot crawled out of the salsa and across my plate. I had eatten most of the food on the plate when this happened so I still don't know if there had been anymore and I had eatten them. To make matters worse I was treated really badly by the waitresses that were there. This still effects me a year later and I have a huge issue with food now. I have to check everything and make sure it's clean and fresh. I'm really annoyed that I didn't go the newspapers at the time because Judge Roy Beans have gotten off scott free and I'm left with this phobia. I'm a vegetarian so its always been hard to find vegitarian meals in restaurants to begin with but I'm always carefull about eatting out now. I have never touched quesadilla's or any kind of vegi mexican wraps since and they used to make up a big part of my diet.
    If this can happen in Judge Roy Beans a 'respectable' restaurant then it can happen anywhere. If it happens to you let people know. I'm sorry I didn't at the time and I hope no one has had this happen to them there since. Has anyone else had experiences like this? I would love to hear other stories.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

We were having a working lunch in a branch of a well-known and respected chain of restaurants in Dublin and a work colleague found a slug chomping away in her salad.

It's one thing having fresh ingredients but that was ridiculous. Obviously she didn't pay for it, but she didn't really feel like having anything else afterwards.

I'm sorry that you developed a phobia after eating at Judge Roy Bean's, but there and then really was the time to do something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I found a caterpillar inside a peach (i had just bought) once. I put it in the garden. I ate around where it had been then threw rest away. Did i care? No it was pretty funny.

It will not do you any harm at the end of the day. You probably eat all kinds of bugs without your knowledge. Best advice is, get over it!!!

Of course that is not say it "should happen!" AS previous poster said, at the time is when you should have complained. Not after the restaurant in question is no longer there. Its now the porterhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 captain_airbox

i did complain at the time and had various conversations with the management afterwards but it went no where. I don't understand how complaining has anything to do with me having a phobia about food though. A slug or a caterpillar is there because the food wasn't washed properly. A magott apears when the food is gone off. You're not a very helpful bunch around here are ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

A magott apears when the food is gone off. You're not a very helpful bunch around here are ye?

Eh no actually maggots dont magically appear when food goes off, they hatch from eggs laid by flies normally. Get over it would be a good idea, **** happens.
    Slugs live on salad and after washing it myself I have found slugs on salad at home, did I whinge about it and get phobic about it? Na I picked it off and ate on, at least a slug shows that the food came out of a field and not some sterile market garden greenhouse, people these days are too sensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You're not a very helpful bunch around here are ye?

Sorry i did not realise you were asking for help with your phobia... all your post said was you wanted to hear other stories about this kind of thing.

Again though best advice for phobias is "get over it!" Other than counselling that is!! Try forcing yourself to eat without checking.. if its hard then blindfold yourself and then eat. Eventually your phobia might relax or even go away.

• Advertisement

can no one conduct a civil conversation on this site? so following suit, i hope you all get magotts in your favourite restaurants food and die! that probably won't happen though cause you obviously never leave your house with your 1000+ posts.good day to you all.

tazz t this last post does not apply to you.thank you for your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

can no one conduct a civil conversation on this site? so following suit, i hope you all get magotts in your favourite restaurants food and die! that probably won't happen though cause you obviously never leave your house with your 1000+ posts.good day to you all.

There's nothing uncivil on this thread. I didn't see anyone wishing anyone else death on this thread...

oh no, wait, I did, that was YOU.

And maggots aren't poisonous. Unless you're wishing unrelated deaths on everyone?

To the banmobile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Since when was Judge Roy Beans ever a respectable restaurant? Right up there with Captain America's tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

On average you eat 4 lbs of bugs in your lifetime...

You just dont know it.
    Knock yourself out giving up all kinds of food now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

If you are looking for sympathy that this enormous trauma has caused you, you should start a thread on the Personal Issues forum.

Personal abuse/ threats aren't looked on kindly on this forum. You stated your opinion, and some people chose to disagree with you, or correct you. That is what happens on a forum.

Try relating your story here instead: http://grouphug.us/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭audge

Hi
    This time last year I was eatting a cheese quesadilla in Judge Roy Beans in Dublin, when a maggot crawled out of the salsa and across my plate. I had eatten most of the food on the plate when this happened so I still don't know if there had been anymore and I had eatten them. To make matters worse I was treated really badly by the waitresses that were there. This still effects me a year later and I have a huge issue with food now. I have to check everything and make sure it's clean and fresh. I'm really annoyed that I didn't go the newspapers at the time because Judge Roy Beans have gotten off scott free and I'm left with this phobia. I'm a vegetarian so its always been hard to find vegitarian meals in restaurants to begin with but I'm always carefull about eatting out now. I have never touched quesadilla's or any kind of vegi mexican wraps since and they used to make up a big part of my diet.
    If this can happen in Judge Roy Beans a 'respectable' restaurant then it can happen anywhere. If it happens to you let people know. I'm sorry I didn't at the time and I hope no one has had this happen to them there since. Has anyone else had experiences like this? I would love to hear other stories.

Well if its any consolation, you are still here and judge roy beans is gone - its porter house central now, so you outlived them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

To the banmobile!

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

i hope you all get magotts in your favourite restaurants food and die!

Atleast if your going to abuse somebody, have a clue what your talking about
    :rolleyes:

I believe this is the only type of maggot that might kill somebody (if it was real)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggot_%28Doom%29
    To the banmobile!

OMG your batman! err...I mean BanMan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

a maggot crawled out of the salsa and across my plate.
    You must have been watching it for a while, I would imagine that it would take a good minute to a minute and a half for a maggot to crawl out of salsa and lurch all the way across a plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Holy forum withdrawal!
    Banwoman it's your trusty sidekick, blubbin.
    na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na banwoman

(took ages to count out those na na's to make sure they were right)

thanks for that link it really helped, maybe you guys aren't so mean after all!

Cabaal wrote:
    Atleast if your going to abuse somebody, have a clue what your talking about

I believe this is the only type of maggot that might kill somebody (if it was real)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggot_%28Doom%29

OMG your batman! err...I mean BanMan!

i don't remember ever saying that a maggot would kill me..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

i hope you all get magotts in your favourite restaurants food and die!
    So you're saying that you hope everyone simply dies, no maggots involved? Not very nice I reckon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gordon wrote:
    So you're saying that you hope everyone simply dies, no maggots involved? Not very nice I reckon.

I believe he needs to make his abuse more clear, far too much room for confusion on how people are going to die
    - did the maggot cause them to die
    - was the maggot on the premises at the time
    - is their witnesses
    - what was the cause of death

Frankly I think its unfair he's trying to stereotype all maggots...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

Well, when I get 1,000+ posts I'll dance civilly instead, then lock myself indoors. Thanks for the encouragement.:p

Seriously, you've got a fear. So look at it this way...for an object of a fear to be legitimate it must have at least two qualities:
    i) It must be present or imminent, and it has to be
    ii) powerful or potent - have the ability to harm or control you.

So the maggot was present, but the power it had came from your mind. It couldn't hurt you. Gross you out?, sure. Truly hurt you?, no. You were more angry about the restaurant staff marginalising you...SO now what!? Don't allow yourself to become a victim. Stand up for yourself - you can do that.
    thanks for that link it really helped, maybe you guys aren't so mean after all!
    Yep, a fun linky.

Nope, you just won't be babied too much around here. In some societies, a nice basket of fried grubworms is a treat. Qagh is also a favorite dish in Klingon circles.*

Chocolate ants, anyone?

*"Nitpickers Guide to the Galaxy"

Advertisement