Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FEAR out today??

Options
  • 18-10-2005 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Guys, just wondering if FEAR is out today as advertised. I dont want to make a wasted trip down Grafton St. (lazy b****x, I am)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Yeah I saw it for sale in Game Dawson St. this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Good, thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I just went to three different shops in Galway and they all said they didnt get a delivery yet (HMV/GAME/Xtravision)

Grrrrr.......

Ill try gamespot in a while.......

got it in Gamespot @ €44, not too bad.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Razgriz

played it last night, and its brilliant. the guards are really smart, flanking you and really working together. also, that little girl is way too freaky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

i have it ordered from sendit it was sent yesterday so should get it friday or monday!! cant wait to give my system a good stretching haha

Very impressed with it,

The speed of the enemy if you engage without slowdown is unreal.
    The enemy is very smart, they wont go into bottlenecks, they flank very well and are pretty good shots. they also run quite fast when you chuck a grenade unless you hit them directly. They also charge at you if they see you hide behind a bin, etc. If im not mistaken I also seen them use hand signals instead of shouting "flank him". Serious detail.

The slow-mo is very good, its slow to regen, so you have to use it wisely and sparingly. No point in playing it unless you put it on the top2 settings in my opinion.

How is it running on people machines? I have it on maximum quality on 1024/768 and it runs very well (6800GT/1GB/2.4@3.2P4) anything above that res and its a bit jerky.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Play on Hard or Extreme, I thought Hard wasn't difficult (played and finished) so I can't imagine the lower settings.

I played at 1280x1024, maximum detail and max settings on nearly everything, 2x 6800GT/1GB/A64 3500+

Great game. Highly recommend it. Have yet to try MP. Won't go into detail on scares or ending as not to ruin it for anyone, but I will say: don't rush through it. Don't rush through all the areas, and look around, you might see some stuff. Get immersed. The title really describes the game, if you get immersed and really get into it, you'll play with hairs on the back of your neck standing up, feeling nervous as to what you'll see next. It pays to explore as you'll find boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

My system is 3.4, 1 gig ram, ATI x750 pro. I left all the settings on what the game recommended last night - 800 X 600 and most options on maximum. Looks good and plays very well. Although before most of the "scares" (when your HUD starts flickering etc) there is a brief pause - which means I know something is coming.

I'll try improving the resolution tonight after work and messing with the other settings. I was too impatient to play the game last night, i didn't want to waste time experimenting with settings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

koneko wrote:
    It pays to explore as you'll find boosters.

I'll boost YOU! Yeah, this has to stop, that doesnt even make sense.

In other news, the game is 4.2 gigs! I might have to buy it :(

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote:
    I'll boost YOU! Yeah, this has to stop, that doesnt even make sense.
    naughty.gif
    In other news, the game is 4.2 gigs! I might have to buy it :(

Do. Buy it now.

*swish jedi hand movement*

koneko wrote:
    naughty.gif

Do. Buy it now.

*swish jedi hand movement*

Are you trying to make me poor ? You want me to live on the streets in a dark wet lane sipping slush puppies that have long lost their fruity goodness and are nothing more than ice :( is that it? ?!?!?

but yeah, I really should buy it. Demo was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I have played it for about 90 minutes and it's very good although it's relatively easy and I'm barely using the slow-mo. It run's quite well at max details 1600x1200, low shadows, no fsaa or anistropic. X800 Platinum edition, 2 gigs ram, 3700+ A64. The game is a genuinely hair raising affair and I'm looking forward to getting home to mow through some more bad guys! :) ...Although I could be tempted to try out Quake 4 first :p

i've got a Pentium 4, 3.4Ghz, 1 GIG RAM, 9800XT 256mb and i'm dying to get my hands on this game!! i can run Half life 2 / Farcry / Doom 3 on pretty much everything maxed so hopefully this will be the same!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

koneko wrote:
    Play on Hard or Extreme, I thought Hard wasn't difficult (played and finished) so I can't imagine the lower settings.

You finished it already? I think somebody needs to get out more :p

Retr0gamer wrote:
    You finished it already? I think somebody needs to get out more :p

I smell pirate off her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yar!

No way, man. *cough* Early access to it. It's not that long, and isn't very hard really. I know those sound like bad points, and I guess they are, but they didn't take away from my enjoyment. I'd rather have a medium-length or short great game than a long craptacular game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Great game. Best combat in an FPS ever, goodish story if you overlook numerous inconsistencies, excellent graphics, sound and music.

Oh and for once a game that actually has a proper ending. The ending in this is great. Makes a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭rabid

Man,

Popped into Game the other day to check the price of FEAR - €54, for a PC game?.....they can **** off and stick a dildo up their arse.....Game are the EA of game stores.....rip off merchants...

Deffo gonna get this tomorrow in Gamestop.....its €40 if you order it from PLay.com but don't think I can wait that long.....might have to order Quake 4 from Play, finish FEAR this weekend and start on Q4 next weekend....

...I'm addicted...wahhhhhhhh!

Been playing the FEAR single and multiplayer demos for the last couple of weeks...and they rock pretty much....the mp is a blast.....need a new gfx card though......its a bit of a hog on the old system......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I smell pirate off her.

Friend of mine two weeks ago told me that he'd already finished this game about 12 times already.... man i wish i had his job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wow

Where the last 3 hours go......

Great game runs perfectly on my 9800Xt/2400XP/1.5gb 2700 pc (new one be here soon can only imagine hat it look like on that). Playing on 1024 and most options on high and its lovely (aa off) has some jaggies but 9800Xt cant do AA.
    Ai is very good constantly looking behind if its an open area sneaky little buggers flank you whilst there mates shoot you.

Proximity mine is fun hope thats in the Mp game. Happy enough so far €44 in smyths think its 40 with their card.

kdjac

Ahhh the poor 9800XT once a god above all other graphics cards!!!!
    its still doing the business for me though
    KdjaC wrote:
    Wow

Where the last 3 hours go......

Great game runs perfectly on my 9800Xt/2400XP/1.5gb 2700 pc (new one be here soon can only imagine hat it look like on that). Playing on 1024 and most options on high and its lovely (aa off) has some jaggies but 9800Xt cant do AA.
    Ai is very good constantly looking behind if its an open area sneaky little buggers flank you whilst there mates shoot you.

Proximity mine is fun hope thats in the Mp game. Happy enough so far €44 in smyths think its 40 with their card.

kdjac

Advertisement