Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

magnet.ie Broadband

• 18-10-2005 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭

Can't search for this on boards , so incase it hasn't been mentioned yet , here's a link

http://www.magnet.ie/index.aspx

Still limited to location but sound good . 4mb bb up and down , digital tv and free national and local calls , for 73 yoyo's .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You can search now .. there's been lots of threads about them already.

The good: fast speeds, triple play, FTTH.
    The bad: limited location, no competition, limited TV channel selection (compared to NTL or Sky Digital)

They're allegedly starting some LLU deployments of ADSL2, but haven't heard of any reports.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Typical me , only heard about it last night and that was through discussing multi room tv and my reason for not going digital . I believe that this runs through the phone lines and therefore would allow multi-room tv without the need for extra boxes .

Having said all that I am a gamer at heart and all I really care about in the world is latency , I deem myself a shallow realist :)

Not sure of the FTTH offerings they have (in the handful of new estates), but the ADSL2 offering will require a "decoder" box, so you have the same dilema as you'd have with Sky/NTL digital. Fire 'em off an email and see what they say, to be sure.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Blue Ice

I phoned them up two weeks ago and they said their ADSL +2 unbundled service was available in Lucan.:cool: Does any one have their ADSL +2 unbundled service and is it any good:confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I'm being installed in the morning, held up for ages due to eircom the absolute bastards. They held it up with the line over and over again. Fair play to magnet, they kept me updated regularly.

• Advertisement

just got installed, and let me say its un fecking belivable. Off to play sone online games now so see ye in a year or two.

just downloaded from heanet at 4.5meg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

sweet, whats the trace / ping to boards.ie like ? :)

Pings to boards are at about 30ms with jolt at about 35mc. I'm quite a bit from the exchange.

They are rock solid at that though. 2500 packet sent, no loss, average 35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

post a trace to boards .. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

What's the [real] upload speed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 tones_ie

Dammit!! not avaibalbe here... :( just the step up package ...grrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭edunon

I'm gonna order the Magnet Value package, for e73/month I get digitalTV, phone (with unlimited national calls) and 4mb up/down broadband.
    Bye, bye NTL, Eircom and Irish BroadBand, I'm gonna enjoy this last one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

I just signed up on the web site and got sa call within the hour. They have confirmed that north main is OK with them and have arranged a package with contract etc to be sent in the post.

So far very impressed and as they will save me about €50 a month, which is great :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

edunon wrote:
    I'm gonna order the Magnet Value package, for e73/month I get digitalTV, phone (with unlimited national calls) and 4mb up/down broadband.
    Bye, bye NTL, Eircom and Irish BroadBand, I'm gonna enjoy this last one :D

IMO if you can get NTL BB, then it is better value for money:

NTL Analogue TV + 3m BB = €65
    NTL Digital TV + 3m BB = €75

NTL Digital TV includes 120 channels (compared to 22 or 50 from Magnet) and a much better lineup. You also get the NTL analogue service free so you can hook it up to other TV's, VCR's, PVR's, etc. You can't hook a second TV or VCR up to Magnet :(

Add free local and national calls for an extra €15 for blueface to NTL.

Also many people (including myself) seem to be able to get analogue TV free for 12 months with NTL (take another €20 off) and BB free for 12 months.

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [82.195.136.251]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 28 ms 31 ms 25 ms 10.194.0.94
    2 32 ms 33 ms 29 ms 10.194.0.93
    3 32 ms 29 ms 31 ms gi1-2.core1a.dub.ie.magnet.ie [10.192.128.1]
    4 34 ms 33 ms 29 ms vl7.border1a.dub.ie.magnet.ie [85.91.0.9]
    5 32 ms 33 ms 35 ms vl6.edge1a.dub.ie.magnet.ie [85.91.0.17]
    6 33 ms 33 ms 35 ms 85.91.0.54
    7 36 ms 31 ms 33 ms d-deg-edge2.magnet.ie [85.91.0.58]
    8 33 ms 33 ms 31 ms panama-inex.hosting365.ie [193.242.111.87]
    9 36 ms 35 ms 35 ms corerouter1.hosting365.ie [82.195.128.7]
    10 35 ms 35 ms 39 ms 82.195.136.251

Trace complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭edunon

bk wrote:

NTL Digital TV includes 120 channels (compared to 22 or 50 from Magnet) and a much better lineup. You also get the NTL analogue service free so you can hook it up to other TV's, VCR's, PVR's, etc. You can't hook a second TV or VCR up to Magnet :(

Also many people (including myself) seem to be able to get analogue TV free for 12 months with NTL (take another €20 off) and BB free for 12 months.

NTL are not in Donnybrook yet. Magnet gives me 100 GB download cap, and 4mb upload, finally a decent skype use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

So the 3MB and 4MB packages are Synchronous?
    3/4 Up and Down?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Diabolus wrote:
    3/4 Up and Down?

Yes and no, they are synchrous in areas with Fibre To The Home, these are normally only new housing developments. In other areas where they are using ADSL, it is 512k up.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Jus toff the phone to them - Blanchardstown exchange due to be unbundled in next 6 months ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭[V3]

bk wrote:

I've been waiting for NTL to come to Rathmines for years and years now. Unfortunately, its still not available :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

bk wrote:
    You can't hook a second TV or VCR up to Magnet :(

Yes you can, €6 per month per additional point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Grayarea wrote:

Which makes it more expensive than NTL again. NTL have as many analogue as you like at no extra charge, extra digibox is €5 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Jus toff the phone to them - Blanchardstown exchange due to be unbundled in next 6 months ..
    YES! LLU for 2008-9! I can't wait to get 256k up; only another 4 years to go. 6 months......sure.

paulm17781 wrote:
    Which makes it more expensive than NTL again. NTL have as many analogue as you like at no extra charge, extra digibox is €5 per month.
    Technically speaking, NTL charge for additional analogue points

cgarvey wrote:

They don't anymore though.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Diabolus wrote:
    3/4 Up and Down?
    Symmetric!! Symmetric!!! God damn and blast it, the word is "symmetric"!!1!

You know, as in symmetry? Mirror image? One side is the same as the other??

:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

paulm17781 wrote:
    They don't anymore though.

Since when? I am being chared for a couple at the moment.

dub45 wrote:
    Since when? I am being chared for a couple at the moment.

Don't remember, call them and ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

oscarBravo wrote:
    Symmetric!! Symmetric!!! God damn and blast it, the word is "symmetric"!!1!

You know, as in symmetry? Mirror image? One side is the same as the other??

:mad: :mad: :mad:

so your saying you download the same as you upload ? but why would you download it if you already have it ? :p

• Advertisement

Grayarea wrote:

That is probably only in areas with Fibre To The Home, there simply isn't the bandwidth for it on DSL. I'd be delighted to be corrected about this, but it is a well known problem with IPTV over DSL.

Advertisement