Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand Guns: End Use?

Options
  • 18-10-2005 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Are there limitations with regards hand guns - should you get a license for one?
    Can I treat it like I would the shotgun or rifle - can I carry it out hunting?
    Can it only be used at an approved range?

I do a bit of digging with the terriers and to follow the correct code of practice laid down by the IMFHA and others the animal needs to be dispatched humanely i.e. shot (these are self imposed rules and not a requirement by the Gards).
    Until now only a Master of a hunt could apply for a gun for the job.
    FYI: many hunts and most vets have had revolvers for years.

I'm wondering would it be good leverage for me in trying to get one?
    Would really like a Walther P22 - perfect for the job!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MP

thelurcher wrote:
    Are there limitations with regards hand guns - should you get a license for one?
    Can I treat it like I would the shotgun or rifle - can I carry it out hunting?
    Can it only be used at an approved range?

I do a bit of digging with the terriers and to follow the correct code of practice laid down by the IMFHA and others the animal needs to be dispatched humanely i.e. shot (these are self imposed rules and not a requirement by the Gards).
    Until now only a Master of a hunt could apply for a gun for the job.
    FYI: many hunts and most vets have had revolvers for years.

I'm wondering would it be good leverage for me in trying to get one?
    Would really like a Walther P22 - perfect for the job!
    Why do you need a semi auto for humane dispatch? Apply for a .32 similar to what the vets use and also the hunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

Dont forget that a .22lr round out of a pistol will be 50fps slower for every inch you loose in barrel lenght compaired to a rifle.

(Well the 50fps per inch difference applys in the case of barrel lenghts of bigger rifles)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

MP: I don't need a semi for humane dispatch at all -
    That's not the point of my post - I like the P22 - cheap to shoot, look good :cool: etc. etc.
    I have enough hobbies at the moment so don't want to have to go spending a small fortune every year to join the local pistol club.

What is my point :D Well I'm wondering if I went to the guards and applied for the P22 on the same grounds as a vet/hunt master - a year or two ago I'd have got nowhere but I wonder now if in the current climate they'd look different on it??????

The '.32' and the like are fine for cattle, horses etc. but any of the lads that I know prefer to use the bolt gun things or a .22lr for smaller.

Babble I'd be shooting point blank for humane dispatch - but would want the gun for targets mainly.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

If you want the gun for targets then apply for the licence as such, you'll only get yourself in bother applying giving one reason then using it for another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

civdef wrote:
    If you want the gun for targets then apply for the licence as such, you'll only get yourself in bother applying giving one reason then using it for another.
    I think that's the nub of thelurcher's question. He's wondering if he can apply for a pistol licence for the purpose of 'humane dispatch.' I don't think he has mentioned target shooting, and would rather avoid the expense of club membership.

I don't like his chances, to be honest :(
    The Guards are cagey enough about licencing pistols for target shooting, and unless he's got a VERY understanding Superintendent, I can't see them issuing one to 'joe public' for anything else.

thelurcher-
    I'd suggest you have a little chat with your Super or Firearms Officer and see what their attitude to this might be. You never know, they might be fine with it, and you'll have established another 'legitimate purpose' for pistols. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Rovi,
    Yes I don't want to shoot targets competitively - I just want to see if I'd like it without jumping headlong into getting a 9mm :rolleyes: and joining some ripoff merchant's club for 100's of euro a year.

I haven't a competitive bone in my body but started clays recently and really enjoy it so somewhere down the line I might get into the handguns in a big way - who knows.

Do any of us REALLY NEED a handgun :confused:
    When I said I don't need.......for humane dispatch at all - I meant I can carry on as normal without it but one would be useful.

Don't know if our Super would be great to talk to about this - he refuses point blank anyone looking for a sound moderator - very very strict (I don't know the man but he really pisses off the local gun dealers).
    Thinking of buying a house again so may leave it to then if I'm in a new Super's area.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Why don't you just hit him on the snout with the shovel Matty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Dont EVER ask do you or somone NEED anything in this life.Always say you might like to WANT it!Asking do you need a type of item gets those in power thinking[and in some cases thats a very dangerous thing for them to be doing],usually they end up restricting and banning it as well.

I can give you a list of people who would have use for a gun.Some of these are not sporting purposes,but work and self defence related,which will ruffle some feathers as well,biut INMHO a firearm is also a tool not just a sporting device.
    On the sporting side
    deer hunters,terrier men,pistol shooters of all disiplines.

On the practical side,
    LEOs, valuable couriers,private investigators,process servers,journalists,bodygaurds,security personel of certain installations and buildings,politicans,bank personel in sensitive positions,judges and court officals,and anyone who can prove a clear and creditable threat to their person which is recognised as such by a senior LEO and is willing to be instructed by an offical body in firearms use,and is allowed to posses the weapon until such time as the threat is removed.
    Now,I am not saying that these groups should be issued with firearms willy nilly at the drop of a hat.But I am suggesting that anyone in those groups would qualify for "good reason" more so than target shooting,or whatever.
    And if you think this is outlandish ,our more continental neighbours have been iissueing firearms permits to these groups [after suitable training of course] since 1945!Up to the 1960s every German bank inc branches used to have one member of senior staff issued with a Walther PP pistol:eek: Bank robbery was pretty much unheard of in Germany up to the 1970s when the Baader Meinhoff /RAF problem started up.

But to get back to your humane dispatch point.Yes,you could be issued with one,it depends with the Super and how well you argue the case for it.But he might look more favourbly if you enquire for maybe a specific type of handgun.As you said,you will be up close and personal,so maybe if you enquired for say a 22 mag derringer or a single shot 410 pistol with slugs you might be able to prove a justifable need more than a Walther 22 pistol. I am going by the humane killer arguement,these are indeed revolvers that have had one chamber left free,and sights removed.And as you require one under humane animal dispatch,[even possibly for a riders horse that has broken it's leg?] and you are the hunts terrierman.You would have a good case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

macnas wrote:
    Why don't you just hit him on the snout with the shovel Matty?
    Superintendants don't like that, it gets blood all over their uniform and desk. :D

Anyhow, it's not a great sign if you're getting bad vibes from the local gun dealers. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MP

thelurcher wrote:
    MP: I don't need a semi for humane dispatch at all -
    That's not the point of my post - I like the P22 - cheap to shoot, look good :cool: etc. etc.
    I have enough hobbies at the moment so don't want to have to go spending a small fortune every year to join the local pistol club.

What is my point :D Well I'm wondering if I went to the guards and applied for the P22 on the same grounds as a vet/hunt master - a year or two ago I'd have got nowhere but I wonder now if in the current climate they'd look different on it??????

The '.32' and the like are fine for cattle, horses etc. but any of the lads that I know prefer to use the bolt gun things or a .22lr for smaller.

Babble I'd be shooting point blank for humane dispatch - but would want the gun for targets mainly.

Thanks.
    My point was that you do not need a licence for the .32,just an authorisation from the Super to allow you to purchase the ammunition. In your circumstances this would almost certainly be granted whereas the Walther may be refused . Nothing to stop you applying for the Walther for target shooting later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

[
    QUOTE=Rovi]Superintendants don't like that, it gets blood all over their uniform and desk. :D

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D:D:D

Macnas: :rolleyes: :D;)

Some good points Clare gunner: I think I'm asking the wrong people here though - ye know about guns - I'd be relying on the Super and any other Guard I deal with being totally ignorant of all firearms - which in fairness 99% of them are.
    I think ye're right about if I did argue my case on the grounds of humane dispatch the Super will fall back on what he's issued in the past for the purpose - so I'd be stuck with somthing that I didn't really want.

Might be easier to go the handgun club route.
    Thanks.

Advertisement