Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught?

Options
  • 18-10-2005 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Ok so i was on the wicklow dual carriageway yesterday. I was going over the limit, about 120kph instead of 100kph. Then in my rear view i saw a black nissan primera with nice flashing blue lights in the grill. So i thought fine, ive been caught here, i was doing wrong. So he comes flying up behind me, im in the slow lane, obviously have slowed down alot at this stage, so he passes me out in the fast lane and i look over and he points his finger at me as if to pull over.

Thats fine so over i pull into the hard shouldery bit but he moves back into the slow lane and speeds off. I was totally shocked he didnt pull me over properly but now im wondering can he still send me a fine/points etc. Its fair enough i know i was speeding and wrong but im just confused as to what can happen now. As far as i know without either a warning or a picture i wont be summons is this correct? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

no they cannot send you a speeding fine. they should have pulled you over if they wanted to fine you. i was going 180-190 last week up to brittas bay. i hadnot been on that section of the road in ages but its so nice and open now.:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do some of the unmarked cars not take a recording and send off a notice to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

drdre wrote:
    no they cannot send you a speeding fine. they should have pulled you over if they wanted to fine you. i was going 180-190 last week up to brittas bay. i hadnot been on that section of the road in ages but its so nice and open now.:D
    You sir need to be banned for your own and everyone elses safety. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Bond-007 wrote:
    You sir need to be banned for your own and everyone elses safety. :mad:

not the first time they have "boasted" about their skills.

see here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3492882&postcount=3

regarding the OP - yes the undercover cars have recording equipment builtin. Friend of mine was caught by an undercover volvo 2 years ago, and was shown footage of his stupidity....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Moto

Ah ok so i could easily get a summons in the post? Would it be a straight fine or would it have to be a court apperance if he didnt stop me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 brianmacd

He must have got pulled to do something more important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 brianmacd

like catch people going excessive and dangerous speeds, such as 180-190

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

Did they have a uniform on?
    If not they may have been detectives having a laugh.
    Or someone with a new set of pace lights.
    Either way your safe.
    Guards have a sense of humor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I couldnt quite see if he was uniformed to be honest, i was so nervous and stuff by being pulled over :p i just saw him pointing and so pulled over! Is it true about the video evidence tho? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys so sorry. i only speed when its safe to do so eg when i was coming back from brittas bay at around 11.30pm when no one was around.(bond 007) i do not promote careless driving so why should i be banned:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

Moto wrote:
    Is it true about the video evidence tho? :confused:

I have mates in that line of work and never heard of it.
    If they were for real they thought the shock to you was enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

back to the old chesnut, your speedo was showing you at about 120, in reality, an accurate measurement will more likely be as much as 10% lower, so maybe you were only doing 110kph. Chances are he was only giving you a warning, it's happened to me and to friends where we were doing just over 5mph limit on our gps units, and cops have given slow down signal rather than pull over.

he may also have been seeing who was driving your car, maybe your car looked same as a local scumbags.

Who knows, but chances are you won't be getting a ticket. Now no more speeding a nice wide dual carraige ways, I mean everyone knows doing motorway speeds on a dual carriage designed for it, is much more dangerous than doing 100 on a windy narrow mountain road!

Yea well they definitly shocked me thats for sure!!! :p thanks for everyones advice anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

drdre wrote:
    guys so sorry. i only speed when its safe to do so eg when i was coming back from brittas bay at around 11.30pm when no one was around.(bond 007) i do not promote careless driving so why should i be banned:D
    Every day I read about some one who died driving when they thought it was safe, ie: late at night, very early in the morning when the roads are empty...it would never happen to them.....they knew what they were doing....

The road you were were on has to be one of the most dangerous in the country especially the section from jack white to the beehive. I drive fairly "briskly";) but I'm always amazed at the stupid and dangerous manovers that some g0bsh1tes make trying to get past me even though I'm going at a fair belt (not 190KPH)
    Rant over:) , I'm tired, sick of all the head bangers that I had to deal with today, I'm going to bed, but I bet that unfortunately there will be another accident some where tonight.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Now where did I leave my pipe? Is it in the pocket of my sensible cardigan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Moto wrote:
    .....I was totally shocked he didnt pull me over properly but now im wondering can he still send me a fine/points etc. Its fair enough i know i was speeding and wrong but im just confused as to what can happen now. ....:confused:

Assuming SJ's finest did that to me I'd say, "Thanks for the warning" and give a wave.
    Had a motercycle cop give a long stare for the way I pulled out on the road from my driveway a few weeks back. kinda cut someone off and he was behind the person I cut off, so I did not immediately see him.

So, I'd inclined to say, relax and pay attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

When you first saw him, what lane were you in? I'm not sure from reading your post if you changed lanes after having seen him.
    Were there any other cars near you?
    How far behind you was he when you first noticed him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

it WAS an undercover car, you WERE slightly over speed-limit taking speedo inaccuracy into account.

two outcomes, you got the sh!ts put up you or youve been recorded and expect a summons, you were not pulled as they had something more pressing to get to (being undercover).

speaking of which, I witnessed a chase on the N4 over the weekend. a car was pulled in by an 05 D black undercover mondeo, complete with alloys rear tints etc (looked like the ST model). would not give it a second glance only for the flashing strobes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

drdre wrote:

you don't promote careless driving??/ wtf??

for a start, what you're doing is dangerous driving and if caught you'd be banned.

hopefully, when you wrap your motor round a tree, there won't be anyone else around.

i feel like asking if you have a very small dick, but i won't bother

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Bogger77 wrote:
    back to the old chesnut, your speedo was showing you at about 120, in reality, an accurate measurement will more likely be as much as 10% lower, so maybe you were only doing 110kph.

Why do people assume that inaccurate speedos over-estimate your speed?
    Surely it's just as likely that they under-estimate your speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

drdre wrote:

What are you driving???? I think we are hearing a few porkies here!! what age are you???? 10???? my car is faster than yours and I can break the sound barrier with it!!! grow up please before you kill yourself and after seeing so many people like you on the roads you will prob take 2-3 other people with you when your on the nice and open road!!!!
    drdre wrote:
    guys so sorry. i only speed when its safe to do so eg when i was coming back from brittas bay at around 11.30pm when no one was around.(bond 007) i do not promote careless driving so why should i be banned

Referance above where you said you hadnt been on that section of road in ages.....so how the bloody hell did you know if it was safe or not??? if I knew who you where I would ring the Garda and tell them exactly who you are!! sooner people like you are off the road the less people will get killed and so our insurance will start to come down!!
    i feel like asking if you have a very small dick, but i won't bother

I had a few other things I would have liked to have said but you cant do peronal attacks on here so I bit my lip!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hagar wrote:
    Why do people assume that inaccurate speedos over-estimate your speed?
    Surely it's just as likely that they under-estimate your speed?
    No. To be legal, a speedo may over-read by up to (IIRC) 10%, but it is NOT allowed to under-read at all.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Fair enough, that makes sense.

It raises a question in my mind though , if your speedo is overestimating the speed you are doing it must be overestimating the distance travelled in a given time. Does it follow that you are actually getting an over-estimated MPG reading?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

a) speedos do not always over read. In reality you do not know the exact speed until you get it measured properly and believing that you are driving at the limit when your speeds says between 100 & 110kmph is a wrong assumption.
    Also your speed can fluctuate depending on the entire suspension geometry, tyre tread, etc.
    b) speed and distance are measured by different tools but on similar principles. However for example as your tyres wear down, they must complete more rotations to cover the same distance and therefore your mpg will be affected. However, I believe manufacturers are aware of this and aim for a happy medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

ninja900 wrote:
    No. To be legal, a speedo may over-read by up to (IIRC) 10%, but it is NOT allowed to under-read at all.
    I've checked my speedo with other tools, and I know with its normal setup that 80mph on the speedo == 74mph real.

IrishRover wrote:
    When you first saw him, what lane were you in? I'm not sure from reading your post if you changed lanes after having seen him.
    Were there any other cars near you?
    How far behind you was he when you first noticed him?

I was in the slow lane once i saw him. I had just overtaken a car in the overtaking lane and had been in the inside lane approx 10secs and then i saw him coming up on the fast lane and then he pulle din behind me. Im not sure but i could have overtaken him a few cars behind too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Say hello to the lamp post. And kiss it one last time, as it will be your last. You drive that fast, and if you hit a rock, or other object (sh|t happens), at 180kph, you won't be able to do anything, except crawl out of the ditch if your lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

the_syco wrote:
    Say hello to the lamp post. And kiss it one last time, as it will be your last. You drive that fast, and if you hit a rock, or other object (sh|t happens), at 180kph, you won't be able to do anything, except crawl out of the ditch if your lucky.
    What makes you think that if you hit something at 120 km/h you'd survive it too, especially in heavy traffic? There is no "magic" safe speed below which nothing can happen to you, except perhaps 0 km/h :)

Like a few others here, I've lived in Germany in the past, and have driven regularly at speeds of 180km/h and more. The biggest danger in my experience is not the speed itself, but the inattention of other road users around you. At certain times of the year, when there are lots of tourists on the road, especially the bl**dy Dutch with their bl**dy caravans, it can be suicidal to try and drive at those speeds, but at other times when it's mainly the locals on the road it's it's perfectly safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

kbannon wrote:
    a) speedos do not always over read. In reality you do not know the exact speed until you get it measured properly and believing that you are driving at the limit when your speeds says between 100 & 110kmph is a wrong assumption.
    It's an assumption all right, but one which is almost always correct. Manufacturers err on the side of caution (over-reading). It also makes top speed, 0-60, and mpg appear slightly better to the driver than they really are.
    Also your speed can fluctuate depending on the entire suspension geometry, tyre tread, etc.
    Your speedo will over-read more as the tyres wear down but the manufacturers allow for this. It should still be within the 10% allowed with the tyres down to the legal tread limit.
    Under-inflated tyres (few drivers ever seem to check them) will worsen this though, as well as reducing grip and creating the risk of a blowout...

What really throws a speedo off (unless it reads from a non-driven wheel, instead of from the transmission) is changing the final drive ratio - swapping the diff on a car or changing the number of teeth on the sprockets on a bike.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement