Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Alun wrote:
    I've lived in Germany in the past
    Me looks @ Germany's insurance rate. Me looks at Ireland's insurance rate. I'd say there is a difference in the way the Germans are taught, such as @ night, etc, and Ireland? Esp the way it'd cost me about €400 in Germany for insurance, but about €2000 here?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Germans pay more to learn to drive. But we pay a far higher price in insurance, and in human life and limb. Yet, politicians are convinced they'll lose votes if they do anything about it, so it's all talk no action with successive Ministers for Transport.

Cullen just 'announced' an 'initiative' to privatise the test backlog - except this was originally annouced by Seamus Brennan about five years ago. I reckon we'll be waiting a long time yet. We've been waiting since 1991 for a new edition of the Rules of the Road.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ninja900 wrote:
    What really throws a speedo off (unless it reads from a non-driven wheel, instead of from the transmission) is changing the final drive ratio - swapping the diff on a car or changing the number of teeth on the sprockets on a bike.
    ... or fitting the wrong tyre / wheel size combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

to the OP, the camera at the SPA was getting an overhaul today by Mr.Garda in his white punto van. Either putting in/taking out camera or topping up film.

You've all been warned!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

ninja900 wrote:
    politicians are convinced they'll lose votes if they do anything about it
    Revenues perhaps (do they make much from in-sewer-ants?) but votes? I would have thought the opposite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They're afraid of doing anything to provisional licence holders (e.g. enforcing the law on driving unaccompanied, removing the 2nd provisional loophole) because they've hundreds of thousands of votes.

Many "learners" are highly experienced and safe - they shouldn't have to wait more than a few weeks for a test. The dangerous / inexperienced ones should NOT be driving around on their own, simple as that. No other country would allow it.

The driving test is the only measure of competence/safety we have, it doesn't make sense to allow people to drive around for years on their own without passing it. But we're getting OT here...

Edit: Politicians (i.e. FF) are also afraid of doing anything much about drink-driving, for fear of upsetting the rural publicans lobby.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thought you were talking about insurance tbh.
    ... we pay a far higher price in insurance ... Yet, politicians are convinced they'll lose votes if they do anything about it ...

Advertisement