Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDA in DCU

• 18-10-2005 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

anyone know how to get pda to work in dcu laplan..
    I can get the internal site [I.E Dcu's site like mail etc]
    But I can't get anything outside of dcu's server..

Any help would be great.,.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

lau1247 wrote:
    anyone know how to get pda to work in dcu laplan..

In the settings for whatever web browser you use, enter proxy.dcu.ie and port 8080. That should do the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

or just bring it to csd...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭lau1247

tried CSD by restaurant.. they sent me to csd in henry grattan..
    Also no luck.. so if anyone has a PDA and has used it in dcu.. pls help..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

I haven't been able to get my XDA running WM2k3 to work with the proxy either. Gonna read up on it later, will let you know.

thanks.. hope you find something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

I brought my PDA to csd and they sorted it for me. They just had to register its mac address on their system.

ok.. I'll give it a go..
    Which CSD did you go to?
    The one by restaurant?
    Henry Grattan?
    Or the one in the hub on wednesday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

the one in the library.

there's a CSD in library??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

ground floor beside the photocopiers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 androphobe

hey, i just registered here, i've a pda and have had loads of trouble with it.
    only got it to connect to laplan and computing today, but still no pages or anything. any luck after giving your mac address?

apparantly they don't need mac address..
    I brought it in to CSD by the restaurant and the guy fixed it.. thank god..

I have an Hp Ipaq 4700

what he did was go to setting, then click on the connection tab, then on the connection icon, then select "set up my proxy server".. from there on he select proxy then go ito advance and type in the proxy address as you would with laptop which is http://proxy.dcu.ie/proxy.pac

I can't remember if he use port 80 or 8080
    I distinctly remember the guy said to turn off sock if it's on..

That's it.. hope this helps..

i think its 8080 or 1080. as in either one. yeah i've the proxy settings set up and all, good. but i can only go to the dcu home page. not so much.

was it before you had the proxy address and port that you could go to dcu page?

yeah a guy in the library turned of sock for me, which got me to the main page.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

androphobe wrote:
    i think its 8080 or 1080. as in either one. yeah i've the proxy settings set up and all, good. but i can only go to the dcu home page. not so much.

was it before you had the proxy address and port that you could go to dcu page?

yeah a guy in the library turned of sock for me, which got me to the main page.

Local pages on the DCU Network are available without any config of the network.

In order to access pages that aren't on dcu's server you need to go through a proxy.

Here are the settings you need:
    Ok, well the computer/pda should connect automatically to either laplan 2.0 (most of campus) or "school of computing"

In order to look at anything outside of dcu's stuff though you'll need to enter a proxy.

Lazyman's proxy config file: (no need to specify a port)
    http://proxy.dcu.ie.pac

Now your laptop/pda should work all over campus.

If it every gives you trouble when on laplan 2.0 however, you'll need to enter the proxy settings manually.

Enter: proxy.dcu.ie
    port: 8080

Enjoy :P

i've done that, i promise. i also, for the crack and at the advice of a friend, pinged the proxy address, and stuck in the number.
    that was nice. this was yesterday. the first day it properly worked a bit.

i also put in 1080 instead of 8080, cos proxy.dcu.ie gave me the impression that it would work, and it did. and according to a representative of csd in the library its the same difference.

thing is i had the above proxy settings in already, port numbers and all, and it was only disabling the sock which actually got me to the main page. dr.
    tomorrow more progress will be made i think.

?!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

The proxy only supports http access, so it's a good idea to disable any reference to socks4/5 etc...

Good luck with that, sounds like a complete pain in the ass :(

oh yes. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

This applies to all windows mobile systems

pick up and connect to the sid called laplan2.0 (No encription/security)

Use dhcp
    you should recive a dhcp address that looks like 136.206.*.*

Onece you have an address

Set your proxy in your connection settings to

Address: proxy.dcu.ie
    Port : 8080 or 3128 (Both do the same thing)

Disable Socks proxy as the stops some people from accessing webpages when the request goes through socks on port 1080/1079

you may need to preform a soft reset of the system for settings to take effect.

Advertisement