Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1980's Fashion in Ireland

• 18-10-2005 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hey, my sister will be doing extra work for the Stardust movie that is being filmed at the moment. She was told to wear something suitable for the era. Well we are both too young to know what the hell the 18 - 30 age group was wearing in those days and I was wondering if anyone here can help me. I have been googling all sorts of things trying to get pictures of your average joe soap (not bananarama type) was wearing back then, (what they would have worn to a disco).
    Anyone know any web sites or got any pictures they want to send me? My sister needs to have her outfit sorted by tomorrow.

Thanks a Million,

Audrey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

The average joe girl was wearing clothes like Bananarama that went to the Stardust. It was a pretty low market disco. Pastel colours and poka dots were pretty popular.
    Where are they filming this? I remember the night it happened and friends lost family at it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I would go to the second hand shops, theres loads of them around Dublin, if they dont have anything in the shop Im sure they can advise you on what was in style back then,... Was the Stardust disaster not in the 70's?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭audge

Sorry, I didn't mean to be in any way disrespectful!!! They have filmed a lot of it in finglas, my sister has to go to the John PLayer factory, where I think they are filming the disco scene itself.

I am almost certain it was 1981! Thats what my mam said..... and just checked RTE reeling in the years, yep, its 81! Just wish I could print of a picture and take it home to her, cos I know what the pop stars looklike but I didnt realise thats the was most ordinary young people dresses too... although I suppose there is not much difference between your average 20 year old clubber and girls aloud!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

pipe drain jeans, ie - as tight all the way down the leg as you can get, lots of makeup, bottle of hair gel into the head, spike it up a la Bananarama (as morningstar said)
    big hoopy earings

banana.jpg

bananarama.jpg

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote:
    pipe drain jeans, ie - as tight all the way down the leg as you can get, lots of makeup, bottle of hair gel into the head, spike it up a la Bananarama (as morningstar said)
    big hoopy earings

banana.jpg

bananarama.jpg

Thanks a Million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

xzanti wrote:
    I would go to the second hand shops, theres loads of them around Dublin, if they dont have anything in the shop Im sure they can advise you on what was in style back then,... Was the Stardust disaster not in the 70's?? :confused:

It was St. Valentines night 1981.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Hmmmm! Dunno why I thought it was the 70's.. I stand corrected :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

A girl I work with was telling me recently what she wore to the Stardust that night... I can't remember the details, but it sounded pretty vile.

I don't think young people in Coolock have ever had decent taste in fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved to Fashion/Appearance :)

• Advertisement

A girl I work with was telling me recently what she wore to the Stardust that night... I can't remember the details, but it sounded pretty vile.

I don't think young people in Coolock have ever had decent taste in fashion.

Ha ha ha!!!!

Here's a linky to 1980's fashion http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/pop/fashion80.htm

It was 1981, so, I'd keep it dowdy... stay away from the bright neon colours and plastic stuff... they were more mid to late '80s things.

Mix and match with late 1970's stuff like the maxi skirts / dresses and you should get the right look.

Here's a linky to 1980's fashion http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/pop/fashion80.htm

It was 1981, so, I'd keep it dowdy... stay away from the bright neon colours and plastic stuff... they were more mid to late '80s things.

Mix and match with late 1970's stuff like the maxi skirts / dresses and you should get the right look.

Good idea!!!! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

eBay is your friend. You'll find loadsa great 80s accessories, clothes and shoes there. While I wasn't even born until 6 years after that so can't advise on what to wear I can still advise on where to get it but big hair and bad make up seems to be the gist of it. Red lipstick and nail varnish are what I associate with that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

It was the early 80's. Think dorky mid length skirts with a blouse, and shoes with a small heel. Muted colours and hair flicked back with a curling tongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If your sister is still unsure what to wear it would be a good idea to ring up the extras agency or production offie (wherever she has the contact) and asking them what sort of clothes they want them to wear.

I doubt she'll have to do her own make-up and hair (although depends on the production). They'll probably just ask your sister to wear a base and wash her hair!

LadyLotts wrote:
    eBay is your friend. You'll find loadsa great 80s accessories, clothes and shoes there. While I wasn't even born until 6 years after that so can't advise on what to wear I can still advise on where to get it but big hair and bad make up seems to be the gist of it. Red lipstick and nail varnish are what I associate with that time.

No, no, no. All the bright stuff was the latter end of the 1980's.
    For the early '80s think of lanky straight 1970's hair, or pudding bowl/pageboy haircuts... or even very long fuzzy hair... like a perm gone wrong and brushed through ala Phil Lynott.

Goofy looking, skinny shirts, those shirts with frilly ruff things down the front, satin blouses for the girlies, polyester blouses with mad huge pointy collars, drain-pipe trousers, skinny jeans that you had to lie on the bed and suck your tummy in to zip up!, Flared trousers were still hanging round like a bad smell from the '70s - really skinny waist bands with mad bell-bottoms, long skirts / flowery / frilly / maxi skirts, duffel coats, wedgie sandles, horrific peep toe shoes, clunky brouge kneehigh boots, shiney polo kneck jumpers, cordroy trousers, spaghetti strap long straight evening dresses... in fact... the movie Carrie was a good few years before 1981, but the dresses worn in the Prom Night scene would have been quite like what would have been worn in a Dublin night club of the early 1980's.
    I was never in the Stardust though and can't be sure if there was a local trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I feel so thankful to have been born in the mid/late 80s. Hearing my dad talk of his tight jeans with flowers and whatnot sewn on is just distrurbing. Lycra is such a wonderful invention. If you think about it a lot of those fashions from the late 70s/80s are coming back now. The whole hippy thing went on during the summer and now people are wearing drain pipe jeans or jeans that go up to about your chin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Beruthiel wrote:
    big hoopy earings

banana.jpg

bananarama.jpg

Wow. That's hot!
    Now why don't women dress like that these days? It's so much more attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Actually I'd like it if women had heads on both ends of their bodies like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Actually I'd like it if women had heads on both ends of their bodies like that.

Well, when they're giving birth they've got heads on both ends. Briefly. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Wow. That's hot!
    Now why don't women dress like that these days? It's so much more attractive.

...if there ****ing circus freaks!!!!

Advertisement