Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best way to let 15 comps share internet?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

jasperok wrote:
    I'm resurecting this just to ask just how difficult is it to use windows server 2003 - are there idiot balloons and wizards to help one out - i am starting to see the advantage of runnng a pc based router firewall but am afraid that if i purchased this i would end up unable to know how to use it - what do you think?
    the easy option is fire them all into a switch and plug print server and internet connectoin into that. ..

Is this home use or a small office or what?

This is fairly simple, buy a cheapish router and a 24 port switch........

ISP to router..router to switch......pc's to switch......install the printer on one of the machines, share the printer and off you go....you don't need a windows server here, but yes they're idiot baloons and it's designed idiot friendly.

If you think you might have problems with windows 2003, then linux is going to be a minefield.

Setting up OpenBSD or linux with squid/altq and all this is all very well, but most of the time it's a waste of time, it just seems to be fashionable to recomend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

ok - thanks a million for all the replies - ths week is d-day and i've been informeed its 20 pc's not 15 now. i am staying away from a server for the first year while i do a networking course which will enable me to be more able to implement one down the line next in 12 months or so. for now no server.

so looks like isp- router-switch with all pc's and a print server going into the switch or switches

would there be any big advantage in just going for multiple routers instead of the switches? i dont mind spending a tad more if this is the case and will save me some hassle the first year. all they need to do is surf the net and print - no major networking requirements among each other sharing data etc - fairly low key the first year.

thanks a million for the wealth of replies - it has been a great help because as an earlier poster suggested i am the office guy who has been elected IT guy and while handy at building and hardware side and idiot proof lan's i have no real networking knowledge of pc's.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You would generally use routers to divide networks into logical divisions and reduce the amount of traffic travelling over each section of the network. They also allow you to do a multitude of other funky things. None of them you really need.

A single 24-port switch should be more than capable of handling your 20 machines. If you go for a more expensive switch, it will have useful features such as QoS and VLAN support. These things you don't need now, but if you envisage the network growing, then you can use them later on. My only reserve about a 24-port switch is that you're not leaving much room for growth, but adding another switch later on is no biggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

seamus wrote:
    You would generally use routers to divide networks into logical divisions and reduce the amount of traffic travelling over each section of the network. They also allow you to do a multitude of other funky things. None of them you really need.

A single 24-port switch should be more than capable of handling your 20 machines. If you go for a more expensive switch, it will have useful features such as QoS and VLAN support. These things you don't need now, but if you envisage the network growing, then you can use them later on. My only reserve about a 24-port switch is that you're not leaving much room for growth, but adding another switch later on is no biggie.

Would recommend you get a good rack mounted 24 port switching hub and use the firewalling on the existing router. That way when the time comes it can look neat in the com cabinet(if you dont have one already) and is no biggy to daisy chain a few 24 port hubs together (within reason). Everything Seamus said above i agree with 100pc.

Its only if you need extra stuff which you dont seem to need like say VPN or web filtering and mabe 24 hour crytical uptime would you require more gear.

Iv seen companies use alot less for more users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=329
    ok thats my switch for definate as the company i am dealing with only have that one for definate.
    now to find a router with good firewall and that offers wireless too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement