Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD problem

• 16-09-2001 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

I have a creative 5x dvd drive and am having severe problems playing dvds, for example when attempting to play dvds the computer will usually freeze before it even gets to the main menu, the computer will totally freeze responding to neither keyboard or mouse and can only be shutdown or rebooted by using the power button,

i have a 1.1ghz tbird, 256 mb ram win98se, have tried using both cool dvd and power dvd with the exact same fault, when i use soft dvd, i will just get a fatal exception this is really getting frustrating, also i also have problems when i attept to rip files from the dvd, however i'm fairly sure this is for a different reason

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I would 1st check and see if DMA is enabled.

If it plays cds fine, and the problem is only DVD's, then it might be worth seeing if there is any firmware upgrades for your drive, also try the latest driver too.

It might be worth making sure you shut down everthing in the background, except explorer and systray, the see if the problem remains. (in Win98 run msconfig) otherwise Ctrl Alt Del.

Failing all that, I'd reinstall the O/S.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

This is what you do:
    • Turn on DMA
    • Defrag
    • Get winDVD update
    • Turn off al backgroud tasks when watching
    • TURN OFF ANY ANTI-VIUS
    • See Thread :DVD Stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Thanks guys
    Ill try that now :)