Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centre speaker placement

Options
  • 18-10-2005 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

In a rectangular shaped room, the tv is in a corner, facing towards the long side, if you get my drift. This is unavoidable, as far as placement is concerned, because of reflections.

Is it necessary to place the centre speaker in a 5.1 in the very centre of the set-up, or should it be in the same position as the tv? My impression is that it may be somewhat off-putting to have the dialogue coming from a slightly different direction than the action on the screen. Would this be the case?

My options therefore, are to put the centre speaker in line with, but on top of the tv, creating its own problems, as the tv is higher than eye level. Or placed about a metre away directly in line with viewing position.

Any thoughts?

Damo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Cinemaworks

You have answered your own question.;)

the centre speaker should be placed either above or below the monitor/screen. and faced in the general viewing area. sometimes you get better off axis response so dont feel you have to sit directly in front of the loud speaker.

The front array and bass is the most important part of your speaker placement. the later (bass) being the hardest to achieve. the rear speakers are less of a worry as they are only for effects of ambience.

placement of speakers is a big consideration within a home theatre, and the smallest of movement can mean a big difference. If you put a lot of thought and spend a lot of time listening to your speakers in different positions. the rewards will pay off in the long run. The listening room and how it reacts with your system is the biggest part of my job.

hope that helps..

Advertisement