Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Week 3 Thread.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

mike65 wrote:
    Flips sake Chelsea 4 up, I thought Betis might set them a test tonight.

Mike.

Was watching the game. Real Betis done what most other teams haven't tried against Chelsea i.e go toe-to-toe with them.
    It upset Chelsea for a few minutes, but then they showed their lethal ability on the counter attack. The Crespo goal was amazing, pass-cross-goal!!!

13 goals in three games. Wouldn't fancy being in David Moyes shoes this weekend. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

another excellent performance from Chelsea this evening, thought Betis got off to a good start, they were comfortably getting in crosses, connecting with them but not able to get a decent shot in, it looked like only a matter of time before they did... and then they just seemed to stop getting the chances. Essien had a great game, the keeper's howler must have really got to the Betis players, the got petulant, giving away far too many fouls and still couldn't even force a decent save from Cudicini. Really expected a tougher test from them. Easy :-)

(good laugh when a large beachball landed behind the Betis keeper, was confiscated by the stewards, and had 10,000 people chanting "we want our ball back" )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i had 4-1 finalscore in paddy power if they had of been awared that obvious penno, maybe i'd be 50 quid up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

waiting to see a replay of that, he got booked for diving too, I thought it was a peno when i saw it but it was at the far end of the pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote:
    Makes Celtic's 4-0 win look all the better I suppose. :)

Only to you :)

Good night of football some good goals , Rauls being the best but the defender should really have put that into the Calderon.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Liverpool did enough against Anderlecht last night, although it must be remarked that Anderlecht are a weak team in terms of the CL. The starting formation seemed to be most unusual with just 3 at the back, Josemi at RB, Hyppia as the sole CB and Carragher as LB, Traore pushing up in midfield and Riise as a left winger, of sorts. Alonso was playing deep in CM with Hamann slightly advance of that. Cisse got free reign in his central position with Sissoko also up to some extent as was Garcia, something like this:

Reina
    - Josemi - Hyppia - Carragher
    Alonso
    - Sissoko - Hamann - Traore
    - Garcia
    Riise -
    Cisse

Liverpool were creating most of the chances, although the 3-man defence soon showed that it had large holes. From the line-up it was unclear whether this was a 2nd string team for Liverpool selected by Benitez. There was no place for Warnock who surely needs to keep being selected if he is to continue to develop as a player.

Garcia, as usual, gave away the ball an awful lot. Cisse used his strength and between them they conjured up a few half chances. Riise saw a lot of the ball and used his pace down the left to create chances, one very scoreable one for Garcia who hopelessly put it over he bar from close range. Cisse's goal came out of nothing, a corner whipped in and dropped in the box met at full power by Cisse. It went straight at the keeper and it nearly knocked his head-off.

Anderlecht created little but as Liverpool failed to get that all important second goal, there was always a chance that it could go awry. It didnt, but there were a few hiccups along the way.

Kewell got a run out. Why, I dont know because he is still the same as he was last year, just not good enough, no spark, and all in all he spent his time running away from the ball and easily being marked rather than getting involved.

Alonso had another good game and his tackling skills are now coming on. He is getting more and more stuck in. Overall, a good win for Liverpool, 3 pts, sets up the next match nicely for another 3 pts potential and qualification is more or less guaranteed after that.

Meanwhile, Chelsea put in another very strong performance and at this stage of the season are cruising. Their squad with Essien and SWP looks to be more complete this eason, and it will take 10 injuries before they are affected.

mike65 wrote:
    Glad to see the RTE panel of grumps still giving Pool stick. If they start to praise us I'll be worried.

Yeah, the same lads who in May were saying how much Liverpool deserved the CL win, are now going back and saying that it was luck, etc. It wont happen again, etc. Dunphy as a betting man will realise how safe it is to predict the unlikely chances of Liverpool winning the CL, since teams rarely retain it especially in modern times. Grumpy old men is a good description.

I've enjoyed the Dunphy & Giles show over the years, but just like changing the Irish manager is needed, is it not now time to get rid of them, O'Herlihy should be shown the door first, and get in some fresh talent.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

redspider wrote:
    I've enjoyed the Dunphy & Giles show over the years, but just like changing the Irish manager is needed, is it not now time to get rid of them, O'Herlihy should be shown the door first, and get in some fresh talent.

Didn't Dunphy say that he would quit if Liverpool won the CL last season, was that more of the usual rubbish he spouts, lad has not got the courage of his convictions and deserves the respect of nobody. He will never stop being a Man U fanboy and that clouds his opinion of every other game he watches.

Fair play to Giles at least he did what he said he would do and sang YNWA on national radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

blu_sonic wrote:
    i had 4-1 finalscore in paddy power if they had of been awared that obvious penno, maybe i'd be 50 quid up now
    In fairness Joaquin left his foot out waiting to be brought down. So I would have said something like "if he had stepped over Del Horno's leg and crossed the ball into the 6-yard box for a possible tap-in" you'd be up 50 quid;)
    Didn't Dunphy say that he would quit if Liverpool won the CL last season, was that more of the usual rubbish he spouts, lad has not got the courage of his convictions and deserves the respect of nobody. He will never stop being a Man U fanboy and that clouds his opinion of every other game he watches.
    I can't stand Dunphy, and find a lot of his views on United misguided as well. He so easily criticises others. He seems to have some personal vendetta against Darren Fletcher, even when he plays well. Every time I read one of his articles I feel like jumping into the paper and strangling him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Darren Fletcher, even when he plays well. Every time I read one of his articles I feel like jumping into the paper and strangling him.

Oxymoron. Impossible!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I heard an interesting comment on 5 Live's 606 last night that Real Madrid fielded more English players than Liverpool or Arsenal.

Real: Woodgate & Beckham
    Liverpool: Carragher
    Arsenal: None

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Correction: Liverpool -> Carragher & Warnock (although Warnock was a sub).

Anyone find it strange that Benitez brought on 3 left sided players. At one point Risse, Zenden, Kewell and Troare were all on the pitch. Zenden had to play on the right. Warnock then came on for Risse (I think). That's a lot of left sided players and not one decent right winger in the squad. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Bacchus wrote:
    That's a lot of left sided players and not one decent right winger in the squad. :confused:

and that has been one of our biggest problems for years yet it still hasn't been sorted out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Bacchus wrote:
    Correction: Liverpool -> Carragher & Warnock (although Warnock was a sub).
    and has yet to make a start for England...
    Amazing stat all the same.
    It was also brought up when they were discussing the "best team ever" (after Chelseas win).
    Lots of old English sides were brought up, but many made the point that you couldnt compare to modern side due to the huge influence foreign players now made to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

eirebhoy wrote:
    Why's Finnan dropped?

He picked up a groin injury earlier in the week, he will be out against Fulham as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

juve and ac were a shock, rangers were odds on too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

blu_sonic wrote:
    juve and ac were a shock, rangers were odds on too
    I saw the Milan vs PSV match. Milan played very well but didn't have the decisive edge that would have brought the winning goal. Sheva didn't have a great game, he was replaced by the returning Inzaghi (w00t!).

PSV created nothing (unlike last seasons game in the San Siro), that was a game that Milan should have won 2-0 at least. Ah well, there's still the return in Eindhoven to look forward to.

I didn't see too much of the Bayern vs Juve game, but from what I did see of it, Juve didn't look too sharp. Then again, that's the first match they've lost all season in any competition, so they're allowed a slip up.

Advertisement