Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G3 - Live At Toyko

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Petrucci is a genius
    They should give vai the bullet and have malmsteen there the whole time
    He pisses me off no end
    Amazing stuff though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

im not as familiar with petruccis stuff as i am with stch and vai, ill be getting that dvd for sure. the other too dvds are good watching, if only for the stupidity (in a good way:D ) of the playing.
    Ya havent seen Vais triple neck piece on the most recent g3 dvd have ya?
    F*ck me pink....thats some sweet playing...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Course we have :p I hated what he played on it.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I wonder how many non-guitarists will actually buy this :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

A lot. For their friends. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Excellent, I love Satch. I really can't stand that Vai muppet though. Go figure, eh? My old guitar teacher got me into Satch, the guy is a master of melody, and he kicks some seriously technical ass. Vai is just a load of **** though, IMO. Petrucci is damn good too, from what I've heard.
    Did any of the fusion-y guys ever do G3, like Di Meola, or De Lucia?

Vai is just a load of **** though, IMO.

When I first heard a couple of his tunes thats what I thought too. If you have the brains to look a little deeper though, youll find he hes anything but. He plays some of the most expressive, interesting, and consistently innovative guitar music around. Dont get me wrong, I love some good old fashioned rock, but if you ever get tired of the same formula thats been around since the sixties, I REALLY recommend you look past the 'wanker' conception, and trust your ears and not your peers.
    This is by no means a 'great' vai song, but its free (made as a demo for Korg pandora digital recorder), so have a listen.

http://www.korg-datastorage.jp/Demo/PXR4/FEATHERS.mp3

Bull****. Vai is a wanker. There is no other way of describing him. He can write loads of really impressive stuff, some really expressive stuff (Blue Powder) but to call him anything but a wanker is wrong imo. It's like calling Beethoven a shredder or Yngwie Malmsteen a Renaissance painter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Raptor

Interesting Vai = Wanker, Malmsteen = Class opinions going on here....

Not actually KNOWING either of these ppl means opinions are based on very little, but here's my 2 c

Vai - Unbelievably proficient guitarist (someone who practiced for over 8 hours a day as a teenager couldn't NOT be tbh). Very quirky individual from interviews etc (regurgitating apple story anyone?) but having watched the G3 live in denver dvd its clear hes content to play with other guitarists, at points is clearly impressed by both satriani and yngwie, and if ya listen to the commentary he has a great opinion of the other 2. So, unusual, pretentious quite possibly. But wanker?

Now good ol yngwie.....theres a card. On same post-concert analysis, vai says how class one satch solo was - yngwie just says "didnt hear it". Ok, maybe he didnt, but you every gone to the guys sites FAQ.

Q: You listen to modern music at all?#
    A: Nope, music achieved perfection a million years ago, cause i says so (btw, ALL modern music sucks!)

A exaggeration, obviously, but to me would put him much further in the wanker catagory (other questions are answered which say how he feels HE is the band, and the rest simply dont matter)

Both still incredible to listen to (and Satch!) so ill still be buying their produce :)

• Advertisement

Anyone who says 'Vai is a wanker', simply isnt familiar with his material. Its fine to form your own opinion that hes a 'wanker' based on hearing a couple of his songs, but to then state catagorically that anyone who says any different is 'wrong', is to betray your ignorance and small-mindedness.

And to call someone elses opinion bull****, is rude behaviour, unbecoming of
    a moderator. Sticking 'imo' on at the end doesnt excuse it. If you disagree and are interested in discussing it, back up your opinion with an argument (i included a link to a song, for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Anyone who says 'Vai is a wanker', simply isnt familiar with his material. Its fine to form your own opinion that hes a 'wanker' based on hearing a couple of his songs, but to then state catagorically that anyone who says any different is 'wrong', is to betray your ignorance and small-mindedness.

a moderator. Sticking 'imo' on at the end doesnt excuse it. If you disagree and are interested in discussing it, back up your opinion with an argument (i included a link to a song, for example).

Well, I agree with you about everything but Vai's music. And, to be fair, I've only heard 6 or 7 of his songs. You may well be right about him, but I just don't think the guy is for me.
    Anyway, I'd just like to point out to everyone, that voodoo_child is a shining example of how to argue one's point civilly and intelligently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

[Off Topic]
    Unbecoming of a moderator?
    :confused:
    Feylya is not a moderator of Rock/Metal. When he's on this board he is a regular user.
    [/Off Topic]

There's a thin line between art and ****. It's personal thing. Here'a quote from Rusty Cooley whihc I found quite refreshing:
    That’s why I like Yngwie better than the other two big name guys who I won’t mention any names. Every time I get an Yngwie CD I know I can count on Yngwie to deliver the goods instead of deciding he wants to take over lead vocals or play the frigging banjo or go off into some weird trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

instead of deciding he wants to take over lead vocals or play the frigging banjo or go off into some weird trip.

Good one! :)

I can't fault or complain about the other two at all, but there's something special about Yngwie....

Maybe it's his choice of axe. ;)

A couple of his songs? At last count, I had 157 of his songs. I find his live stuff to just be ****. Constant fast widdling. Which is grand. As I said, he does write some melodic stuff but most of the time, there's a big widdly solo in there which is the basis for the "wanker" label I apply to him. Examples? OK, here's some self indulgent stuff that is nothing more than stuff for him to showing off:
    Deepness
    So Happy
    Little Pieces Of Seaweed
    Chronic Insomnia
    Ya-yo Gakk
    When I was a Little Boy
    Lucky Charms

As for the "unbecoming for a mod", I am not a mod in this forum and have no desire to be. I was stating my opinion. It's generally what users on a forum do and as Doctor J correctly pointed out, that is exactly what I am on this forum.

feylya wrote:
    As for the "unbecoming for a mod", I am not a mod in this forum and have no desire to be. I was stating my opinion. It's generally what users on a forum do and as Doctor J correctly pointed out, that is exactly what I am on this forum.

In boards.ie i thought i had found a forum that encouraged intelligent debate, and civilised discussion.
    If appointed moderators (regardless of which forum they are on) are suggesting that we should take to responding to posts with rude retorts to peoples opinions along the lines of 'bull****' , and that this constitutes 'stating your opinion', then i guess i was wrong.

Of course this IS stating your opinion, but it is also a crude, childish way to do so, which is likely to lead to flaming etc., and turn off potential forum users. And I dont care what forum you are a moderator on, you should conduct yourself with manners on any boards.ie forum.

Well, you continue on thinking that and I shall continue on acting as I have the past 2 years.

Anyway, has anyone preordered this DVD yet?

Advertisement