Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

sfc /scannow problem

• 18-10-2005 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

Right.

Picked up a nasty virus and pretty much expelled it (i think) But not my control panal programs cant find rundll.exe and all my programs demand i select open with and find the executable for them in browse. So i assumed my system files must be borked.

problem is when i go to do sfc /scannow in run to clean up the mess i get shown very briefly a ms dos window and then nothing...zip nada.

any idea whats wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Its possible that when the virus infected your pc, it turned off System File Protection, by terminating the thread which protects critical windows components, from being modified or removed.

Additionally, it may have disabled WFP permanently through the registry.

I'm not sure what to advise you do, as its always difficult to diagnose what the problem is, and how to fix it.

What operating system have you? service pack? virus scanner? web browser?
    Also, describing what you have tried so far would help.

RUNDLL32.EXE is not protected by WFP (AFAIK)

you might want to download a program (in future) called Process Guard

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/

i would recommend it to anyone who feels their anti-virus or firewall isn't enough protection.

Prevents anything from executing without the users permission.

Its basically a rootkit, but for the benefit of the users system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

What operating system have you? service pack? virus scanner? web browser?
    Also, describing what you have tried so far would help.

Windows XP pretty sure its service pack 2 (at the moment i cant check due to this problem) Virus scanner i have 2, AVG 6.0 and f-Prot. My web browser is Firefox.

When the problem first appeared i deleted the original file the virus came in and virusscanned my computer with ADV, and it told me it had quarintined a virus. when the problem persisted, i tried virus scanning in safe mode. Then i tried a system restore back to a much earlier date. Then i tried to find out what virus it was by googling the filename it was downloaded on and i was pointed to a worm, but no mention of the same consequences i had in the symptons. I was recommanded getting either a new virus scanner (where i downloaded f-prot, which found some spyware ADV missed) or registryfix. Registryfix found alot of problems and fixed most of them, but couldnt fix them all cause it kept crashing (due to needing some dll file to finish the process i think) Then i asked around again (boards was down) and someone recommanded i try sfc /scannow to restore my default system files. But every attempt at this resulted in the above problem. While alot of sites offer help if /scannow asks for windows xp cd, only one mentions the problem i have and it is demanding i pay a subscription for the solution. So i am stuck here. Computer continues on mostly normally, but there are alot of things i cant do. anything in control panel is out. Alot of games are not working or half working (i think this is more the system restore). Most updates (for example AVG) just wont work and i cant run anything like schedualed tasks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Right.

Picked up a nasty virus and pretty much expelled it (i think) But not my control panal programs cant find rundll.exe and all my programs demand i select open with and find the executable for them in browse. So i assumed my system files must be borked.

problem is when i go to do sfc /scannow in run to clean up the mess i get shown very briefly a ms dos window and then nothing...zip nada.

any idea whats wrong?

try sfc/scannow from command prompt:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

well got around that problem actually...

still have the original problem...but all *i think* i need is my windows xp cd to be returned to me so i can run sfc /scannow and maybe a partial reinstall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

hope ya get sorted nannyways:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement