Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE News report that Kerrs has gone

• 18-10-2005 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭

The FAI Board of Directors have it is understood decided not to renew the contract of manager Brian Kerr following the Republic of Ireland's failure to qualify for the World Cuo finals in Germany after a meeting in Dublin, Tuesday evening.

Soccer Central

Just reported on RTE.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

No official release, but they have reported that "Kerrs reign as Irish manager is over".

Well, looks like thats it so.
    Wonder when we'll get news of a replacement.

(EDIT - sorry DR Nick... if boards wasnt so slow at the moment, I wouldnt have this as a duplicate thread and would have seen yours :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You have to assume they have somebody already lined up to replace him... if not that could be a very bad decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Dr. Nick wrote:
    The FAI Board of Directors have it is understood decided not to renew the contract of manager Brian Kerr following the Republic of Ireland's failure to qualify for the World Cuo finals in Germany after a meeting in Dublin, Tuesday evening.

Soccer Central

Just reported on RTE.....

They didn't happen to announce that they were not going to renew any of their own contracts either did they?

Thought not, shame, we live in hope.

The best of luck to Kerr , nice guy but he just wasn't up to the task IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Just heard the news myself on RTE news.

thanx brian for all that you have done for irish soccer in the last 10 years. Hopefully he will still be involved in underage soccer in this country.

I still fondly remember that night when we won the under16, 18 european championship and coming third in the world under 20 championship.

Hopefully now we can get someone in to bring irish soccer forward.

BTW the FAI are a bunch of muppets for treating one of the greatest irish servants like this. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

On Setanta atm. They better have someone lined up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm very suprised they would announce it like this.

I thought they would say something like they are going to re-evaluate the international set-up and will not rush a descion.

That way they can approach loads of top quality managers and see if they can get someone.
    If not, they can advertise the position and see the calaber of manager that will approach them..
    And it always leaves the option open to say, after long consultation, we have decided to continue with the current set-up, as we are satisifed with the current level of commitent from the manager and staff. (If we can't get anyone better)

But having said that, Im sad to see him leave Irish football, I'm happy he's no longer our international manager, I'm confident we will appoint someone else more experienced and more tactically estute, but he tried his best, worked his hardest, and I appreciate his effort...put simply, he's just not good enough to manage a international manager...We need a manager with top football managment experience before we appoint them....Brian has learnt everything he knows in the Irish job, and will now probably go off and fine tune his talents at a top club...as always in Ireland...we do things backwards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The Muppet wrote:
    They didn't happen to announce that they were not going to renew any of their own contracts either did they?

Thought not, shame, we live in hope.

The best of luck to Kerr , nice guy but he just wasn't up to the task IMO.
    Couldn't have said it better. Just reading it on Aertel teletext now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

DubGuy wrote:
    I'm confident we will appoint someone else more experienced and more tactically estute

I'm not confident at all. John Delaney is a total gob****e who I'm sure is going to make a complete arse of the situation. I'm dreading to think who's going to be given the job now.

Soccercentral:
    The Board of the FAI met today and considered the implications of non-qualification of the international team for the World Cup in 2006. The Board also assessed the prospects of achieving success in future European Championship and World Cup campaigns in the context of the development of the game in Ireland.

Following its meeting, the Board announced that the FAI is to recruit a new international manager to succeed Brian Kerr whose contract expired at the end of the World Cup 2006 campaign.

The Board thanked Brian Kerr and his technical staff for their commitment and energy demonstrated during almost three years in charge. “The Board fully recognises the dedication and passion applied by Brian and his support team in their quest to gain qualification for the major Championships”, Delaney said.

“The Board also acknowledged both Brian and Chris Hughton’s contributions to the game in their previous roles – Brian through his involvement in the development of the game across the underage and Technical areas and Chris as a distinguished player for many years”, he added.

Commenting on the decision, FAI Chief Executive Officer John Delaney said the Board’s view was that the decline in FIFA world rankings, UEFA standings and non qualification for the World Cup 2006 were key issues for the Association. He said “the downward trend in our rankings and seedings has been very disappointing and will make qualification for future tournaments considerably more difficult and that has knock-on consequences for the development of the game”.

Delaney said that everyone involved in football is disappointed that Ireland failed to qualify for the World Cup and reap the benefits of our involvement in terms of interest in the game and increased participation across the country. As an organisation, we have invested heavily over the past year to progress the game at all levels to bring more and more people into the game. We now have more people taking part in football than any other team sport but to further develop the game, success on the international scene is an important catalyst.

Looking to the future, Delaney said “our Under 17 team recently qualified for the Elite Phase of the UEFA Championships, our Under 19 side are now also qualified after tonight’s game in Cork while the long term Emerging Talent Programme for young players is set to pilot in the coming months”.

A Board sub-Committee has been charged with making recommendations to the full Board in respect of a new manager for the international team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Wonder if he will get the under age job back?
    Can't be any worse then Givens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

evilhomer wrote:
    Wonder if he will get the under age job back?
    Can't be any worse then Givens!

Ironically, the Under-21s also finished 4th in their qualifying group behind France, Switzerland and Israel.

Serbian wrote:
    Ironically, the Under-21s also finished 4th in their qualifying group behind France, Switzerland and Israel.
    Kerr won 2 European Championships and 3rd in a world championships. He is without doubt better than Givens. I'd love to see him get the U21 job if he'd take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Wonder will he still retain his other post as performance director (no sure if this is the correct title)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Well I'm relieved that the FAI have used common sense for once.

There is no doubt that he was committed but the bottom line is he wasn't up to it. The stats, the ridiculous tactics and the consistent inept performances don't lie.

There is a term in football ''be careful what you wish for'' but I've absolutely no doubt that this is the right decision on all fronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

now kerr is gone who is set to replace him,theres not to many managers queueing up for the job,will ireland do an england and go foreign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

The FAI have finally put up a statement on their homepage, and it's almost exactly the same as the Soccer Central article.

Philippe Troussier is interested and Delaney wanted him back in 2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

eirebhoy wrote:
    Philippe Troussier is interested and Delaney wanted him back in 2002.

Currently 25-1 with PP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

IT could very well be Liam Brady the Arsenal coach and if it is my god have mercy on the Irish team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I think the guy deserved to find out tonight, and the rest of us tomorrow. Its bad enough getting the sack and then seeing it on the news half an hour later.

Its not very dignified getting a call (if they bothered to ring him!) and hearing yeah actually thanks for all the under age stuff but head off.. anyway we'll fill you in on the 11 O'Clock news.

Typical FAI really.. no regard for anyone or anything.

I dearly hope he takes over the young lads again.. we need him there. He personally brought through a good chunk of the decent players in the senior team. Nobody else seems to have that kind of talent.

Will Chris Hughton or Packie keep their jobs?

I presume Packie will anyway, the International stuff was only a side job for him, he's full time in the FAI anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

suprised the made a decesion so quick, think its teh right decesion.

Best of luck Brian and i hope they've offered him a position in the FAI.
    Hopefully they'll get someone with the experiance to take the Irish Soccer team where it should be.

Heh, It's funny you said that, because it occured to me watching the press conference, that john Delaney said he had contacted Kerrs agent, but hasn't spoken to Kerr or Hughton, ("on other calls or whatever" were his exact words) who have now lost their jobs. :/

The least they could have done is talk to and thank them in person before announcing it to the world...what's the rush?

Plus i think that has ruined any slim chance of Kerr wanting to stay on in the FAI in a different capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

its a poor show from the FAI

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im delighted they have decided not to renew his contract as the man was clearly not up to the job and got it wrong so many times its laughable really. It will be interesting to see who the FAI appoint but they will be hard pushed to do a worse job then Kerr.

Having saying that I do want to thank the guy for all he has done for Irish football over the years with the youth teams etc and I hope the FAI find a position for him in the future. Senior International Manager was just too big a job for Kerr im afraid and he failed miserably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

DubGuy wrote:
    Heh, It's funny you said that, because it occured to me watching the press conference, that john Delaney said he had contacted Kerrs agent, but hasn't spoken to Kerr or Hughton,

That's a disgrace. There's no way Brian will work with the FAI again if that's how they treat him. Typical FAI, no class at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I wish him all the best, he tried his hardest. I wouldn't even be adverse to see him in the role again if he were to go get a bit more top level experience.

That said it was the right decision. With us being fourth seeds now we will most likely end up in an extremely tough group, and it would be pointless giving him another crack and then us ending up in a group with Holland, Italy and Denmark.

At least this way there will be little pressure on the new manager in his first campaign. Time to re-build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I wish him all the best, he tried his hardest. I wouldn't even be adverse to see him in the role again if he were to go get a bit more top level experience.

That said it was the right decision. With us being fourth seeds now we will most likely end up in an extremely tough group, and it would be pointless giving him another crack and then us ending up in a group with Holland, Italy and Denmark.

At least this way there will be little pressure on the new manager in his first campaign. Time to re-build.

agreed.

no hard feelings.he tried his best. it is time for a new manager, im not sure who is available for the job. i certainly dont want us just settling for any ol fool who happens to have a better cv than kerr.

its time for a manager to come in that will plan for an extended period of time, maybe even beyond the euro's, to eventually have not only a solid first team squad but a country producing players of the calibre of duff, keane, mcgrath, brady etc.

I was listening to todayfm this morning and they said John Aldridge is the running. I for one think Aldo would do a good job.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Having saying that I do want to thank the guy for all he has done for Irish football over the years with the youth teams etc and I hope the FAI find a position for him in the future.
    Not a chance of him working for them again.

• Advertisement

I personally didn't like him, hell my mother who knows nothing about football hated him, but the man imho did not deserve to get the chop in the way he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If ever further proof were needed, the FAI, especially John Delaney, are a shower of unprofessional, living in fantasy land, tossers!

In an interview last night on Sky Sports, Delaney said that Ireland should be following Greeces example. They are, afterall, a small country with limited resources, yet they managed to win Euro 2004, by working within their means, and playing to their strengths. He thinks thats what should be aspired to. Ive no problem with that statement per sé. And, that will appease the mindless public, which are the majority of Ireland football fans, who are only vocal when things are going wrong.

But to look at his statement another way, it shows how poor an organisation the FAI truly are. To compare Greece with Ireland is lazy at best, and downright careless at worst. You see, Greece have a fully professional league, with teams competeing year in year out in the Champions League and the latter stages of the UEFA cup. They have a league with breeds and nurtures their own talent. They have a league which, shock horror, the Greek FA actually care about, invest in, and look to, to help their own national team. Amazingly, they dont have to look to Turkey/Italy/France to bring their talent through.

Delaney also alluded to the fact that Irish players arent getting their game like they used to in the UK. Who's fault is that? The clubs for not playing them because they arent good enough, or the FAI for not nurturing their talent, and instead advocating that kids as youing as 16 go to the UK? Now, its remiss to think that our players wont end of playing in the UK, or elsewhere eventually, but why not sent them across when they are the finsished product (like what Sweden does?), rather than sending them en masse in the hopes that a few make it. Roy Keane, Denis Irwin, Damien Duff etc are few and far between.

The FAI needs to take a long hard look at its entire organisation, before it starts saying that Brian Kerr was a failure of a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Listening to Delaney with Des Cahill this morning, they're going to 'head-hunt' a new manager, so no interviews.
    I think he's going after O'Neill the way he spoke about a manager who can 'get the best out of his resources'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'm not bothered in the slighest that Kerrs gone but the FAI could have handled it better (how many times has that been said tho?). They didn't even support the guy until the end of his term and last night didn't have Kerr present to argue his case ... or even have him there just to tell him the news in person. Presumably he found out the news just like the rest of us?

That said tho Kerr should have just resigned straight after the Swiss match and saved us all the bother. I don't know why he realistically thought he'd be asked to continue.

Anyway, cheers to BK for the work put in over the past 9 years and good luck to him in the future (probably in a UEFA technical capacity).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Right decision imo, but as per usual with the FAI, it was hadled in a cack handed way. :rolleyes:

I watched the full press conference on Setanta last night, and it just confirmed my conclusion that Delaney is a buffoon. I really can't stand the man. The fact that he said that he hadn't spoke to Kerr since the Swiss is shocking and so unprofessional. And the gormless way in which he tried to butter up the press speaking to everyone by name was just difficult to watch.

I really will rejoice when and if ever he gets the boot.

gimmick wrote:
    In an interview last night on Sky Sports, Delaney said that Ireland should be following Greeces example.
    Typical ill informed rubbish from Delaney. Greece have a population of over 11 million and we have one of under 4. Plus, as you've alreay pointed out, their domestic league is far superior, so it's hardly comaring like for like.

B.

gimmick wrote:
    In an interview last night on Sky Sports, Delaney said that Ireland should be following Greeces example. They are, afterall, a small country with limited resources, yet they managed to win Euro 2004, by working within their means, and playing to their strengths. He thinks thats what should be aspired to.

FIFA World Cup European Qualifying : Group Two Table

1 Ukraine 12 7 4 1 18 7 11 25
    2 Turkey 12 6 5 1 23 9 14 23
    3 Denmark 12 6 4 2 24 12 12 22
    4 Greece 12 6 3 3 15 9 6 21
    5 Albania 12 4 1 7 11 20 -9 13
    6 Georgia 12 2 4 6 14 25 -11 10
    7 Kazakhstan 12 0 1 11 6 29 -23 1

Wow.... we sure followed the Greece down to their position and not getting through.
    Are you happy now Delaney??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hard to know if it is a good or bad decison.

Bad in the fact in what I think is that we have a poor crop of players, a good few who do not get first team football and also that they seemed so uninterested and not willing to give 100% I find it hard to completely blame Kerr.

Good in what I can see he was very poor tactically, he had the heart, passion and interest but think he lacked in experience.

Will we get someone "better", I cannot see it. We are are over expectant nation now who got spoiled with a crop of fantatic players over the last 17 years, we could now be looking at another 5 or 6 years without much excitement. Best of luck to Brian

WDK wrote:
    I was listening to todayfm this morning and they said John Aldridge is the running. I for one think Aldo would do a good job.

You are joking of course?

No, I think the number one requirement, bar none is that the next manager has bags of expeirience, and a proven record at top flight football, preferably with limited resources. Obviously that's easier said than done...but they are out there around europe and beyond...I don't think it'll be an Irish or UK manager.

O'Neill is made for the job. If I could pick any manager in the world, he'd probably be in my top 3 with Mourinio and lippi. :p O'Leary would have been great too.

But I have to say, although they are muppets, there are encouraging words coming out of the FAI.

Delaney seems to have a good idea of the type of manager we need, and how to go about getting him. All that's left to do is get him. :) O'Neill would be a massive coo ... and i've a feeling they might pull it off ;) A couple of months after christmas though.

Just heard on the radio that Delaney has said there's no rush to get a replacement.
    Seems like they have no one in mind, or if they do, they cant take it up til a later date.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I dont think they do have anyone in mind at the moment except possibly MON. I would rather see a manager put in place as soon as possible so he can start to go and see the younger players play etc and get a feel for the players that are available to him. Also we will have some friendly games before the start of the Euro qualifiers and a manager needs to be in place by then so he can stamp his authority on the team. I have no idea who it is going to be but I reckon the FAIs first choice will be MON. If he says no then I expect it to be a foreign manager for some reason

Advertisement